PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    :p I'm having that lentil thing now as I got hungry thinking about it.

I've been awake since 4.45 so it feels like it's lunch time!

I will just make a bowl of HM veggie soup for lunch.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    MrAPJI wrote: »
    Good Morning :)

Oh dear, as for menu planning, I'm afraid I plod from one meal to the next :)

It doesn't work for everyone but it helps me use up stuff and eat a varied diet. I try and work a rota of meat, veggie, fish, chicken or turkey and most of this weeks plan is already in the freezer just needs to be nuked or reheated in the oven ;)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm back from the GP and my cholesterol is really high. I shouldn't have high cholesterol as a vegan. It has worried me a bit as my Mum had a heart attack quite young, when she was about 50.

I said I didn't want to take statins yet. My GP (slim and fit looking) said his cholesterol is higher than mine and he keeps trying to get it down lower!:p

I'm going to try and lower that by eating foods like apples, green tea, lentils etc... and get it retested in the summer.

I was just looking online and saw a nice "recipe" just making some cooked lentils and adding olive oil, lemon, salt, black pepper, garlic and herbs and then leaving it to meld together and spread it on crackers. I will have that later.:)

I just had toast as usual for breakfast with Rooibos tea and an apple.
    Oh not so good - did they not discredit the link between diet having a huge impact on cholesterol especially if there is a genetic tendency for it to be raised? Hope you can get yours down though without resorting to meds but if not they might be good option:)

I was up with the sparrows and am waiting for an EA to give me an idea as to what my house is worth. I've lined up another EA for this afternoon and another for tomorrow. This is something I'm not looking forward to, but has to be done. Last week I made comment to a neighbour that I would probably market my house fairly soon and he said that he knows someone who would be interested. My potential buyer has sold and is renting a house nearby (month 5 of 12 months). So I'm now looking to see what my price would actually be - I've a rough idea, but need to be fair to the chap - hence the valuations :)

Breakfast was a couple of weetabix, followed by a couple of clems. Lunch will be from the freezer - fish in breadcrumbs, chips and peas - it will suffice :)

Hope the EA visits go well.

Good morning everyone,
    After a raging gale overnight all is calm this morning, just in time for snow/sleet tonight. Hopefully I'll manage a brief walk before it changes again.
    I really enjoyed my stew last night, just the ticket to eat while listening to the wind and rain battering off of the house. There's enough left to cover my lunch today:)
  • BucksLady
    Options

Don't worry ... at least you're eating :) Have you regained much of your weight loss yet?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    wednesday, was your reading broken down to HDL and LDL?

Can I say something and please don`t shout me down but veganism is not a good diet unless one has all the nutritional know how and is prepared to add the necessary missing vitamins and minerals. We have omnivore teeth for a reason, how we evolved. Anyhow, look at what fats and oils you use, particularly coconut oil, which is in many vegan foods. and there is also a potential genetic link to high cholesterol, ie it is made by the body. My friend has been a lifelong vegan and has been diagnosed with high cholesterol and also put on blood pressure tablets. She is in a dark cottage, eats from her allotment and needs to get into the sun every winter but I know that she does not have enough vit D. Pale and pasty and needless to say is now depressed. My son is a vegan and is not pale and pasty

Crikey mrAP, you don`t let the grass grow and it looks to me as though fate is having a hand in this. Sounds very promising :D

I am just about to start roasting for pasta sauce and have taken some blackcurrants out to defrost for jam, to give to DDs. I am going to make the turkey casserole tomorrow for RMs. today will be a conglomerate of pasta sauce, turkey bits and a bit of pasta, probably layered in a dish
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Oh not so good - did they not discredit the link between diet having a huge impact on cholesterol especially if there is a genetic tendency for it to be raised? Hope you can get yours down though without resorting to meds but if not they might be good option:)

Well, it's strange as I had my cholesterol tested back in the summer of 2017 and it was 5.8 which isn't that bad and now it's 7.1.

I've lost half a stone since last summer as well! Pretty annoying.:mad:

I'm going to cut out takeaways as well and get it tested again in June, I think.

One thing I thought it might be is the meds I'm on raising my cholesterol, Lyrica for Fibromyalgia. I meant to ask my GP about that.

Oh well, I will see how the test goes in June.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Kittie - I've been vegan for 12 years this year.:p Everything else was fine in the blood test.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not a menu planner. My menu planning stops at: "Do you have enough random foods dotted around the house that you could find something to eat quickly?"

I never know when I'll be eating, or what - or what I'll fancy.

I'm not a lentil person... *shudders* ... they're on my list of "things I should get round to trying maybe one day ... but not today".

I've just had a nice cooked breakfast: hash browns, scrambled eggs, baked beans, sausages.
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options

I was up with the sparrows and am waiting for an EA to give me an idea as to what my house is worth. I've lined up another EA for this afternoon and another for tomorrow. This is something I'm not looking forward to, but has to be done. Last week I made comment to a neighbour that I would probably market my house fairly soon and he said that he knows someone who would be interested. My potential buyer has sold and is renting a house nearby (month 5 of 12 months). So I'm now looking to see what my price would actually be - I've a rough idea, but need to be fair to the chap - hence the valuations :)

Breakfast was a couple of weetabix, followed by a couple of clems. Lunch will be from the freezer - fish in breadcrumbs, chips and peas - it will suffice :)

Make sure you don't feel pressured to sell. Do you really want to move? I'd just say to be thoroughly sure of this rather than sell quickly, repent at leisure.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback