PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 28 September 2018 at 11:26AM
    Options
    I know what you mean by open plan PN.

There is a bit of an open plan element to my garden. Thankfully no kids living here - but I did find (adult) neighbours intruding into my garden noticeably often to start with.

By sheer "coincidence;);)" one of the ways this stopped was my tendency to use a hosepipe to water my garden at all sorts of odd times.;) with no apparent awareness of whether any intruder was anywhere near it.

I also put various garden stuff - eg plants/seating/etc wherever I decided I would in my garden - taking no account of any bits of it anyone else might decide they wished to intrude into.

Funnily enough - all the "intrusion" stopped one way and another after a while. All that happens now is the occasional Hard Stare at me, and I give them A Stare back and then turn my back and get on with whatever I'm doing. I guess it's fortunate I come from a pretty confident city and so it's easier for me to "carry on as normal".

But I can quite understand that, in different circumstances, there could be kids nearby and brought up in a way they thought it was okay to "scream and yell" if they wanted to regardless. That would annoy me as well.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    I'm basically eating prawns every night at the moment :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    I'm basically eating prawns every night at the moment :D

Spoken like a true CFO.

Options are slim.... eat it all by eating the same thing every day for 3-5 days ... or put stuff in the freezer a couple of times until it's too full to fit anything more in .... then realise, you've actually few choices at all in reality, your freezer's full and you've just bought another item... and it'll take you 2 months to eat your way through the freezer even though there's not much selection in there.

This is why ready meals are so popular :)
    Eat it once .... that's it.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Had a shock as I opened the downstairs curtains this morning, large dog fox strolling along the footpath as bold as brass, in no hurry at all. I assume it was this bu66er who was knocking my flower pots over earlier in the year, blooming cheek:)

Last night's £land mince & onion pie was very tasty, far better than I expected & much better than the FB tinned ones, also the "right" CFO size.
    I've got one left, 2 in a £1 pack, but plenty of date left & could freeze if stuck

Sunny day, bit cold, into L's, looking in vain for inspiration, nothing found except bog standard YS large pizza. Bought it any way "just in case"
    Looking forward to my chippy tea later! Very much!
    Currently doing a little bit of private tutoring for a young girl with special needs in the town, so I'll do that, then come home via the chippy.

Ah, that was my lunch, been promising myself one, as you have, for a bit.
    And today's the day. Popped in the way back from volunteering. bought the OAP special, which is plenty for me, I had to ask the lady to stop adding more chips, just too many
    I'm now stuffed, had a couple of slices of bread & scrape with them.
    I can see the YS pizza turning up over the weekend
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Had a shock as I opened the downstairs curtains this morning, large dog fox strolling along the footpath as bold as brass, in no hurry at all. I assume it was this bu66er who was knocking my flower pots over earlier in the year, blooming cheek:)
    At least now you've seen him you know what probably knocked them over!
    Last night's £land mince & onion pie was very tasty, far better than I expected & much better than the FB tinned ones, also the "right" CFO size.
    Are they the Welsh Pantry ones?
    Or another brand? Just checking so I can keep an eye out; different branches might have different brands/labels.

I must say that I prefer the meat/pastry ratio of a full-sized "family pie" as the individual ones can tend to be a bit pastry heavy. I love pastry, but with individual portions of pies/slices it just seems to be mostly pastry a lot of times.

I had to ask the lady to stop adding more chips, just too many
    You can always pop them into a pot in the fridge for 2-3 days and nuke them tomorrow or the next day .... or even freeze them.

Waste not, want not.

My gas man's been and serviced the boiler etc... and the chicken thing's well and truly done now as I couldn't do anything with it until he'd been....

.... time to try some in a bit...

Trouble is, I don't fancy it now :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Are they the Welsh Pantry ones?
    Or another brand? Just checking so I can keep an eye out; different branches might have different brands/labels.

You can always pop them into a pot in the fridge for 2-3 days and nuke them tomorrow or the next day .... or even freeze them.

Waste not, want not.

Yep, the Welsh Pantry ones

Thanks for chip tip PN, but not for me, I just don't fancy old cold chips nuked, not really a doggy bag person except for my own made LOs

Talking of which I've got some LO cold mash & smidgen of cabbage from last night's meal. Plan is a bubble & squeakette sometime this weekend.
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options

Thanks for chip tip PN, but not for me, I just don't fancy old cold chips nuked, not really a doggy bag person except for my own made LOs

My local chip shop did big portions. Ask for a small and it'd be quite large... and they are VERY good chips. When I do buy chips there I usually box/nuke half a portion the next day. Didn't last time, forced/struggled my way to the end of them in one sitting :)

I had a (LARGE!) portion of the piri piri... double portion, with rice. Didn't actually enjoy it t all. It tasted all right, but having got to the bit where I'd thought of it, got it set up, waited for it ... I was well past caring about it any more. Another two portions are in the fridge.

I'm "all dressed up to go out" .... contemplating a choccy bag run ... I know I shouldn't but I really fancy some .... so, I might/might not go and get some in the next hour (I hope not really, else I'll eat them tonight).
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    I could happily eat pie & chips tonight but only have a pie that needs defrosting before cooking so should have thought of that sooner....
    Stoke- if you get fed up of prawns lob some my way. I'll give them a good home;):rotfl:
    I didn't get as much done as hoped in the garden as my balance took great exception to me hauling out the last patch of nasturiums so I had to stagger off and be horizontal for a few hours.:( Feel okay now but will be watching what I'm doing for the rest of the day.

My Dad popped by bearing a gift of half a sourdough loaf from the lovely bakers. Shame I had just finished my soup as a slice would have gone nicely with it. He did leave with a portion of soup, a bag of tomatoes and a cucumber which I reckon was a fair swap.:) There's one portion of soup left which I'll freeze tonight. I'll use some of the bread tomorrow for a nice brunch. Shame I haven't got an avocado in the fridge as hipster or not I do like a slice of toasted sourdough with mashed avocado, bacon and tomato on top as a treat.

Since pie & chips are out I'm swithering between a fishcake with green veg and wedges or chicken goujons with salad in a mini wrap with HM butternut squash fries that are in the freezer. However before I do anything I must tidy the kitchen which was on my "to do" for after I had finished gardening but still hasn't happened. I've definitely hit cba tonight but I hate having the sink full of dishes so needs must.

I've not heard how my son's "bake off" challenge went as he's en route to see his brother for a few days before heading here for the rest of the week. He did send me photos last night though and they looked pretty decent and virtually identical so he certainly hasn't disgraced himself. I've told him I'd be happy to let him have some practice when he's home:rotfl::rotfl:
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening :wave:

Definitely glad it's Friday :) my get up and go got up and went this week :o I need the weekend to recharge my batteries and hopefully catch up on some sleep. The day dragged today not helped by IT trying to fix an intermittent fault on my new laptop which of course chose to work when they were looking at it :cool: luckily I wasn't the only one wishing I was somewhere else today, and to the amusement of the young guy in the office several of us put the world to rights before moving on to houses prices and then pensions :D

Lunch was two free chocolates in W*itrose, i was easily led astray and didn't need any encouragement to try both so I could compare them, it seems there's no calories in free chocolate :rotfl: followed by a piece of sushi and some Brie on a cracker I love when they put out samples :p and then I went back to the office and looked virtuous eating my tuna salad :A

Dinner was sea bass fillets with stir fry vegetable scattered with toasted pumpkin seeds (I couldn't find the sesame seeds because I had put them in the cupboard with the baking stuff and storage containers :huh: )
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Love the sound of your lunch Brambling - I'm sure the "free" stuff didn't count calorie-wise:rotfl::rotfl:

I miss the "TGI" Friday feeling now I'm not working which I never thought I would:eek:.
    Kitchen did get tidied up and dinner was a real "bung it in the oven" of fishcake, wedges and roast veg. Apart from "wedging" the spud no effort needed as the rest was in the freezer.:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback