PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,130 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    He opted in so is happy to take part. Out of 120+ folk on the site around 40 folk bake per coffee morning which they do a few times a year. If you don't bake you are sort of expected to donate a raffle prize or at least buy a ticket. Last year they raised over £1500 for various causes so not to be sniffed at, Usually he makes something less precise but is rising to the challenge.....:rotfl:
  • caronc
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    Should we be imagining Michelin Man Caronc? :rotfl:
    That's probably being kind:cool::cool::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    He opted in so is happy to take part. Out of 120+ folk on the site around 40 folk bake per coffee morning which they do a few times a year. If you don't bake you are sort of expected to donate a raffle prize or at least buy a ticket. Last year they raised over £1500 for various causes so not to be sniffed at, Usually he makes something less precise but is rising to the challenge.....:rotfl:

At my last company there were regular fund raising and bake sales always went well, people are happy to pay for good homemade cakes :) I was often asked to bring in one of my nephew's lemon drizzle cakes and it rarely made it to the stall :D
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    Options
    Definitely a good way to raise funds - we did regular "bake days" at my work. Raised loads and my word there were some beautiful bakers within the team:D
  • flubberyzing
    Options
    Well, I got through my two appointments yesterday. Both were a little intense, so I was tired come about 9pm!

My bolognaise did well in the slow cooker yesterday. Put it on a bit after 9am. Gave it a good stir at about 3:30, then ate it about 6:30. It was just a supermarket-own pasta sauce, but if you leave it for that long it gets really, really thick and unctuous. Delish! There's always enough for two portions, so the rest is leftovers to repeat the meal today. It is actually often tastier on day 2... I guess because it's had time to sit and marinate a bit more!

I can't remember what's on the meal plan for tomorrow, but Friday I'm FINALLY going to go and do my takeaway I've been wanting for weeks and weeks! It's my birthday on Saturday, so I think it's justified! I would have had it on Saturday, but I'm out for a meal with a friend, so wouldn't want two big meals in a day. I only like to do a chippy on a day when I'm proper hungry!

In my experience, bake sales always go well! We love cake in this country! I remember, in my last place of work, we had an 18 year old lad, an apprentice. But he was the BEST baker I've ever personally met. His chocolate cake especially was a work of art. He was an interesting lad. An award-winning trampolinist, and a whizz on the violin, whose long-term plan was to join the army!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spicy hot ketchup is nice on fish finger butties PN! I smear that on one side of the bread and garlic mayo on the top slice fish fingers ,lettuce and cheese in between!
    Big dressing gown has been on for a few weeks now.:eek:

The fan heater worked well this morning, flicked on as the alarm went off, went for shower and bedroom warm when I got back to dry and get dressed.
    Last night was baby potatoes with beans and cheese, and side salad. As I'd got back later than I thought from house viewing with my sister.

Back to work today so I've took out a piece of salmon, to have with mash and carrots and sugar snap peas. Will think if I want sauce on it when I get home.
    Shame about the Wisley pics Farway, I'd love to visit there.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Did the curry yesterday - lentil and spinach (without potato version) and poached egg on top. Errrm....think maybe I put too much water in it and a different mix of "flavours" to what I would prefer.

So - not a repeater for me - but might try the "poached egg on top" thing on other dishes.

Off to go dancing today and burn off some calories later today and I figure that curry worked out at 2 portions worth - so the other one for dinner tonight.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,365 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Up & about early, I was up before the timer woke up so over riding the timer for the heating on was first job, even before the kettle

Sunny but cold start for the day, my porridge etc breakfast is ideal this weather

Snap Wort, I also decided on salmon, out defrosting now. But I'll be having mine with salad & new spuds, the "sauce" will be salad cream, if I can find it, I bought a replacement a bit back and put it away somewhere safe, as you do

If it gets warm enough later I may just cut the grass if the sun burns the dew off

Lunch, looking like bacon butty time, but I think I'm going to use up the few slices of the baked herby tomatoes in there, with sourdough bread.

I have my Mum's cake baking skills, rubbish. There is a volunteer where I go, she makes lovely cakes, huge light sponges. far better than bought ones.
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Brunch is going to be easy - cauliflower rice and HM pesto. Then I'm going to have a bash at something approximating mansaf, lamb casserole with yogurt, and a sort of aubergine pasta bake only without pasta.

No need to meal plan after that as I suspect there will be so much that I'll be eating them for at least a week.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Breakfast was the tomato/egg roll I'd made and wrapped up and put in the fridge yesterday ... followed by the final 6 choccies from the first bag (well, first of two just bought ... but 3rd of the week!).

Lunch will be another of the half price corned beef pasties I bought yesterday, with some mash made with spuds I bought yesterday ... and beans.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure