Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Cooking for one (Mark Three) - Page 442

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

edited 13 January 2018 at 8:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
13.3K replies 834.3K views

Replies

• caronccaronc Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good evening everyone,

I think the difficulty with quantifying "housewives" recipes to use up LOs or stretch resources is that they really developed around what you had and there are so many variables e.g. size, thickness etc. of the bread and how solid or custardy you like B&B pud. Personally I prefer mine ( sweet or savoury) well soaked but with the liquid all soaked in rather than custardy. It must have lots of brown crispy bits on top:).

The cloud & rain obscured most of the airshow though you could hear plenty, however it cleared just before the Red Arrows' display which was the finale so I got a decent view of them- spectacular as always:D.

I decided in the end to go with the burger/gravy option which I actually can't remember when I last made it- decades I think rather than years :eek:. I'm really looking forward to having a burger this way for a change and while it's not cold it's wet & dreary outside so a good evening for a "gravy dinner":D.

• BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    All this talk of bread and butter pudding is making wish I could eat more bread :cool: the sweet version reminds me of my childhood, nothing wasted so stale bread was either that or bread pudding :) my mum could make a good version of both :D

Walking day today so a break from driving, the river runs through the valley and across the beach into the sea here, It's a 10 km round trip to walk up the valley to the pub for lunch only a sausage and onion baguette we didn't fancy the roast as it was quite warm today. I'm hoping I won't regret the bread :cool: but it would be worth it. And then another 4 km along the beach before dinner tonight. My BIL called tonight to have a conversation about his dinner :cool: I will admit to walking alway so he couldn't hear me laughing, we were on the beach with a really bad signal so my sister was shouting about white pudding and bacon :rotfl: there is usually at least one 'urgent' call when we are away last time was because he couldn't find the soap powder :rotfl: my mother never approved of him being abandoned to fend for himself even if my sister leaves him with a freezer full of homemade RMs
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • edited 2 September 2018 at 8:11PM
    caronccaronc Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 September 2018 at 8:11PM
    Hope you don't suffer from the bread Brambling but sometimes it is worth it....:D
    The first time I left my kids "home alone" (they were both 16+) to go away for a few days I lovingly left lots of HM RMs in the freezer to cover them, a fully stocked fridge and £20 emergency money! Where I was had a poor phone signal, we came back from our first day out to lots of missed calls from my elder son. Panicking something was wrong I phoned straight back, only to find he wanted to know how much chilli powder to add to chilli con carne:eek::mad:. They had decided to use the cash to do their own thing and had bought loads of mince, wraps etc. and then had a wobble re making it. I didn't know whether I wanted to be relieved or strangle him......;) The next time I went away I just left cash plus what was already in the fridge/freezers:rotfl::rotfl:

• flubberyzingflubberyzing Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the recipe Faraway!

I shall give it a go sometime soon!

Caronc, I was 16 nearly 17 the first time I was left home-alone overnight. The rest of the family went off to a wedding, and I was still doing my exams! I didn't enjoy the experience much! I found it rather scary being on my own in a rather creaky house! Saying that, mum set up with all the nearest neighbours to check up on me!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭

Caronc, I was 16 nearly 17 the first time I was left home-alone overnight. The rest of the family went off to a wedding, and I was still doing my exams! I didn't enjoy the experience much! I found it rather scary being on my own in a rather creaky house! Saying that, mum set up with all the nearest neighbours to check up on me!
    When I was in my teens we lived in a big, old, creaky house, I hated being "home alone" :eek:. It felt very "horror movie" despite the fact my grandparents shared the house so were close at hand:o.

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • bouicca21bouicca21 Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't get my head round this idea of savoury bread and butter pudding. You are a bunch of heretics. Bread and butter pudding should be soaked for at least an hour before baking, deliciously sweet and crispy on top, with sultanas hidden in the eggy depths.

I'm going to have to make one, you have forced me into it.
    :):):)
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I can't get my head round this idea of savoury bread and butter pudding. You are a bunch of heretics. Bread and butter pudding should be soaked for at least an hour before baking, deliciously sweet and crispy on top, with sultanas hidden in the eggy depths.

I'm going to have to make one, you have forced me into it.
    :):):)
    Guilty as charged m'lud and not at all repentant :rotfl::rotfl:

Good morning everyone,

The sun is shining though it's much cooler, shame it couldn't have been like that over the weekend!
    I've a couple of errands to run & then the garden beckons:).
    Salisbury steak was gorgeous last night as good as I remembered:D.
    I'm not sure about food for today yet.

• flubberyzingflubberyzing Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all!

It was an early-ish trip to Tescos for lunch bits and some veg. Came home and filled in some forms for work... Needed some information from 10 years ago! Good thing I keep good records! :p

Nothing else doing around here today! A friend called and asked if I wanted to go out for dinner on Friday... I'm trying to be cheap, so suggested she come here and I'll cook. A curry is requested (she's a fussy eater!). I have the rice and the chicken, so will just need some sauce, and maybe some naans. That'll save me a lot on the cost of going out! And I'll still get the pleasure of some lovely company. :D
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good afternoon,

I've had a bit of a frustrating morning:mad:, tasks I hoped to get done have gone pear-shaped due to others and now it looks as though my mortgage still isn't right so another phone call needed:mad::mad:.
    flubberyzing, in my social group we seldom go out to eat in the evening but prefer to take turns at hosting, stems from when a few of us were on our own with kids so it saved the hassle of sitters as they just came along. Now the kids are adults we decided we liked it that way so haven't changed.:)
    Lunch is a quick tuna mayo on toast with salad, still undecided about tonight.

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The savoury B & B was fine cut when cold, nuked, with baked beans. Thanks for tips PN, as noted I'm a B & B pud novice, but it turned out fine by me, sort of savoury bready souffle

Another sunny day, washing out drying, breakfast of porridge, sliced apple, honey & HM yoghurt

Into town, meaning to go into H Bargains for biscuits & Sainsbobs for olive oil.
    Failed in both quests, CBA once I finished mooching other shops, bought garden bargain stuff in Wilko, including rolls of wire mesh to stop cats & foxes [STRIKE]pooing in[/STRIKE] disturbing my pots

Lunch was BF ham & salad, figs not quite ripe enough for afters so had a banana instead, would've been a HB choc biscuit if I'd bothered to go there, probably for the best

Dinner will be more of the savoury B & B pud with LO beans