Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Cooking for one (Mark Three) - Page 441

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

edited 13 January 2018 at 8:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
13.3K replies 833.6K views

Replies

• PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a neighbour to refill the boiler :)
    It's not needed doing for two years, so it's not a problem, just poor timing as I was expecting a service yesterday but the plumber didn't come.

Had the leftover indian biryani rice for breakfast :)

Popped out to Home Bargains ... for my sweeties .... and picked up a packet of biscuits on a whim as they didn't have my usual "go to" pack - and I've discovered ...the best biscuits in the world :)

They're 89p for a pack of 9. They're polish. Dark chocolate with a dark cherry layer inside.... crumbly/wafer and knobbly bits. Eaten 8 out of 9 so far.... they're gorgeous. Jezyki Dark Cherry - it looks like Tesco sell a different flavour... but I'm only interested in "dark" and "cherry"

:)
  • edited 1 September 2018 at 6:31PM
    caronccaronc Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 September 2018 at 6:31PM
    Good evening everyone,
    The biscuits sound lush PN, dark chocolate & cherry is one of my favourite combinations:). Glad you got your boiler filled.:)

The cloud finally lifted around 5pm, just in time to watch the end of show flyovers. Some very scary fighter jets exited to the North East straight over my town. My they were impressive but very noisy. The show is on again tomorrow, the forecast is better so I might get to see some of the displays then:D.
    After the rain cleared I did some more pot clearing and pansy potting. Just the final 32 pansies to pot on but the tubs I want to pop them in are still going strongish with bizzy lizzies and begonias so will wait a bit.

I did a "tomato run" and picked over 3lb of toms, mainly cherry and smaller salad type but there was also a large "chocolate stripes" one (which I think might be an only and I only have one plant. It is beautifully ugly IFYSWIM about a deep chocolate colour with a few lighter greeny-brown stripes, the size and shape of a large flat peach, needless so it wont be getting turned into passatta. Lots of pretty Ildi ones ready, my first time growing these. Very prolific, tasty and the size and shape of a yellow pear drop sweetie. Lots of Vilma too, they have to be the sweetest tom I've tasted, even sweeter than Gardener's Delight but nice a compact basket size to grow.:)

Decided not to go with the HM ready meal from the freezer tonight. I've had a lazyish day so really no need to use one of these! I've defrosted a couple of chicken thighs which will be roasted with sweet potato, corn cob, courgette, mushrooms & onions, garlic and various herbs & spices. There will no doubt be LOs but I'll happily use these up over coming days. Lunch was a repeat of yesterday's savoury bread pudding & pickles, there's a portion left which I'll freeze for a future meal.

ETA - just seen I missed the "Red Arrows" who headed here after Bournemouth the must have flew south after their display.

• edited 1 September 2018 at 10:53PM
    moneyistooshorttomentionmoneyistooshorttomention
    17.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 September 2018 at 10:53PM
    Been burning off the calories out dancing as per plan. Probably not enough "calorie burning" to warrant a little extra food earlier and now having midnight snack of toast - but am hungry.

Usual thing of "as soon as I hear a tune I want to dance to = cue for everyone thinking "If she's out there at it - then we will be too" and the dance floor fills". I can still fill a dance floor rapidly if I set my mind to it then:D. Got asked by someone if I'm a professional dancer:D:D:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Errr...nope ..but not bad at "Do Your Own Thing" type dancing....

DOD (Day Off Diet) ends at midnight and I'm back on the diet again tomorrow.
  • flubberyzingflubberyzing Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭

Usual thing of "as soon as I hear a tune I want to dance to = cue for everyone thinking "If she's out there at it - then we will be too" and the dance floor fills". I can still fill a dance floor rapidly if I set my mind to it then:D. Got asked by someone if I'm a professional dancer:D:D:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Errr...nope ..but not bad at "Do Your Own Thing" type dancing....

I'm the same! If I'm at a party with a dance floor, and a tune comes on that I like, I have no problem with being the first on the floor! Others usually come and join me pretty quickly!
    Enjoying a dance works out well for me, because if a room is noisy, with my poor hearing, I struggle to join in with the chit-chat, so I'm better off on the dance floor where I can just enjoy the music and strut my stuff! :rotfl:

Looks like another sunny day out there, and the wind has dropped, but unless an invitation comes through, I can't see myself going out. A quiet day with my books and the TV then. :)

Breakfast was a banana and yoghurt (coffee in a minute!). Lunch will probably be a chicken and salad wrap. For dinner I've got some new potatoes that need eating today, so I'll do them with some chicken and veg.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • Well - if you're ever over in West Wales flubberyzing and there's some dancing going on.....:)

As per expectations from previously here - all ages from 20-something up to a woman of around 90 out on the dancefloor. A few "couples" of various descriptions. Many dancing on their own and no-one too bothered who goes up to and dances with who...
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another sunny day here, slight windy, ideal day for drying washing except I've not done any

Glad boiler's OK PN, and the biscuits sound like something for me to sample, I'm probably in HM area next week. There goes the diet, again

Caron, I bet the noisy fighters were Typhoons, certainly impressive & noisy, when I was in Lincoln a few years back I could hear them but not see them, above the clouds. I've seen Typhoons at displays, amazing aircraft

Breakfast usual porridge, but this time with one of my own apples instead of banana, lovely apples, and organic by default, plus free.

Lunch will be usual BF ham & salad sandwich

I made a savoury bread & butter pud yesterday, my first one ever.
    It took a while longer than recipes say because I think I under estimated amount of liquid required and had to keep topping up with milk. Next time I'll know how much before I start cooking

However it is very forgiving, and was a complete, tasty & successful addition to my "I'll do that again" collection. Thanks Caronand all who chimed in
    And the proof of the pudding is right here
    cheese-_-tomato-bread-_-butter-pud-_Sept-2018.jpg
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone,
    Fab looking savoury pud Farway, is there any left?;) Spot on re the Typhoon, apparently it was them and F18-E Hornets that flew out over my way.

Glad you enjoyed the dancing MTSTM:), I used to enjoy a good boogie:).
    Forecast changed overnight to be damp & murky again though it's very mild. Like yesterday it's due to clear late afternoon for a bit so I might see some more planes though will try and spot the Red Arrows if I can:).
    Lunch will be chicken salad using up LOs from last night, tonight I think will be either spaghetti & meatballs or "salisbury" steak & mushrooms (aka burger in gravy) with spuds & veg. I have burgers & meatballs in the freezer so minimal prep needed for either. I'll see what I fancy later. It would have been the mid 70s before I have had a burger in a bun (birthday treat at the "Wimpy":cool:) at home we always had them with gravy and mash and I've retained a fondness for them this way:).

• flubberyzingflubberyzing Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Faraway, that looks fantastic! My mum made them all the time growing up, but I've not had one for years. Do you have a recipe you could link to?

Caronc - I also grew up with burgers, mash and gravy. :) I also enjoy them like this, and they're better for you without the bun/cheese etc. :) Minted lamb grills also work well like this, and we had them instead of burgers quite often, because they tended to be a bit larger, and a bit cheaper.

This thread is doing a great job of reminded me of lots of meals from my youth that I haven't had in years. :)
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Faraway, that looks fantastic! My mum made them all the time growing up, but I've not had one for years. Do you have a recipe you could link to?

Sorry no, I just searched and used an easy looking one I found, can't find it now. :(
    Basically it was make 3 cheese[I grated the cheese] & tomato sandwiches [I added marmite in]

Cut each into 4 triangles, butter a dish, add the triangles, sloping to look pretty, pour eggy mix over, leave to soak a bit, bake gas 4 or 5. It said 30 minutes but mine took much longer, about an hour plus

Here is what I copied but then amended to suit. I think the milk quantity is missing a nought and should be 300ml, I had to add extra milk during cooking when I used the original quantity. I think a pint would be about right, with 3 eggs

I grated more cheese on top, just to look pretty

Ingredients
    Serves: 2
    • 4 slices white bread
    • 2 slices strong Cheddar cheese
    • 2 eggs, beaten
    • 30ml milk
    • Salt and pepper
    • 30g or 2 tablespoons grated cheese of your choice.

Method
    Prep:5min › Cook:20min › Ready in:25min
    1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C / gas mark 4.
    2. Make 2 Cheddar cheese sandwiches and cut each sandwich into 4 triangles.
    3. Arrange sandwiches in a lightly greased oven-proof dish.
    4. Beat eggs and add the milk together. Season with some salt and pepper.
    5. Pour egg and milk mixture evenly over the sandwiches.
    6. Vary amounts if needed, but the sandwiches do not need to be totally covered in egg, but the egg should soak in and leave a little in the bottom of dish.
    7. Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
    8. Bake for 20/30 minutes, checking frequently to avoid burnt edges

Using 3 sandwiches I have enough for 4 reasonable portions. I've not tried it cold but it has set firm and Caron assures us it will cut & nuke fine, it looks like it will and that will be the base of tonight's dinner

As above, dinner is LO B + B pud, plus maybe some baked beans, I think they should go well together, and def very easy & quick

Lunch was the BF ham sandwiches, and two of my figs after, with the sun back I've got more figs on the way, they have to be eaten as they ripen because mine don't keep. If I had heaps of them I'd investigate drying or making cake etc but no need this year

I noticed my second fig tree is ripening now, decided to give them a feed with improving weather, I thought feeding was over for this year

Pruned buddlias, they have perked up since the rain. Loads of butterflies & bees enjoying them
  • edited 2 September 2018 at 3:51PM
    PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 September 2018 at 3:51PM
    Farway wrote: »
    And the proof of the pudding is right here
    cheese-_-tomato-bread-_-butter-pud-_Sept-2018.jpg

Personally - and don't take this as criticism as it's a first and I say it takes 3 goes to get something "just how you like it" ... that needs more milk/egg - pour very slowly, to make sure it's on every bit of the top and soaking through .... and cook it a bit longer... although I appreciate that, having got that far, you're probably just jiggling about by the oven muttering "come on... come on..." and then "Oh, you'll do, it's just for me". :)