PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed, he'll love you for being honest. AND - I bet he recognises a lot of his own eating habits in the list.
    I've been known to watch 'GP's Behind Closed Doors'. :o One of the GP's featured is a particularly large lady and I often wonder how she deals with 'dishing' out weight loss advice. If anyone like her were to criticise my BMI, I would be tempted to say 'Back at ya'. :D
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The trouble with buying it comes back to pack size. Any typical pack would have enough to serve four, whether it's a pie, slices, or pizza.
    A single only needs 1/4 of a pack. So what to do with the rest? Cut it/freeze it and clutter up the freezer for months until you want the next 1/4? Make it all and freeze 3 leftover portions of something bigger?

It's one of those moments of:
    "a family buys X, uses it" -v-
    "a single buys X and still has most of it cluttering up the freezer for up to a year until they fancy it again".

Even a family of three has half packs of puff and filo pastry in the freezer, the filo has been there at least a year, perhaps two :rotfl:

I do admit that because I do have a Magimix I do make pastry-shortcrust - quite often, if I didn't have one I wouldn't bother. But I hand wash it all the same. It's just a lid and blade more then a bowl
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The trouble with buying it comes back to pack size. Any typical pack would have enough to serve four, whether it's a pie, slices, or pizza.
    A single only needs 1/4 of a pack. So what to do with the rest? Cut it/freeze it and clutter up the freezer for months until you want the next 1/4? Make it all and freeze 3 leftover portions of something bigger?

It's one of those moments of:
    "a family buys X, uses it" -v-
    "a single buys X and still has most of it cluttering up the freezer for up to a year until they fancy it again".

I make a steak and kidney pie for my husband, I don't eat meat so I always have leftovers. I buy the tinfoil dishes from the pound shop. Pastry is the ready rolled fresh stuff 89p from Aldi or Lidl. I make a pie filling in the slow cooker.
    I then put the filling into the tin foil dishes. I use the lids as a template on the pastry. Usually get 6, I then just use the pastry parchment that comes with it to separate the pastry tops. I freeze the foil dishes and tops separately.
    When it comes to cooking them I take a pie dish, take the cardboard top off and unfold the top to make it a bit flatter, put a slice of pastry on and bake from frozen.

I wash the foil dishes and use them for yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, stuffing to try not to be wasteful.

Just my thoughts, I wanted to share.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Apologies for above post - I was checking summat a poster said on another thread - ie about no longer being able to edit posts on MSE. Seems one can no longer delete posts either - well that might save some of the things that get said on other threads...

I also tried and I got a message along the lines, the administrator has advised you can only edit posts for 0.5 minutes after you have posted.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Late breakfast/brunch was tofu scramble on toast followed by a piece of fresh fruit. I feel very full up.

I have the last bowl of the pasta bake to have later.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    I also tried and I got a message along the lines, the administrator has advised you can only edit posts for 0.5 minutes after you have posted.

In other words - absolutely impossible.

I am a very fast typist - and, if I can't manage to get back to a post I wish to edit in time (after going back to do so instantly) = I very much doubt anyone can.
  • Irenadler
    Options
    Flubbery so sorry to read about your dad passing. Hope you remember to take care of yourself as well as your mum.

Just when I thought the poorly ones were getting better, it's like the second wave of infection/wonky donkeys fighting back.... Hope everyone is taking it easy and not over-doing it.

Anyway, on the menu yesterday:

Porridge n nana
    Beef stew YS, with dumplings, Yes, the diet is going well..:)
    Healthy low fat 3 bean soup with 2 slices medium wholemeal bread.
    Followed by that 3/4 bar of dark ginger chocolate a family member gave me because they didn't like it. Sigh,:p

Snack - nuts, apple, orange. Well, at least it's sort of healthy.

Todays menu:

Porridge n nana n a few blueberries snuck in.
    Roast dinner n all trimmings with parents.
    Might squidge in a soup if my stomach isn't too full!

Take care all, and keeeeep eating!
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 February 2018 at 9:38AM
    Options
    Today I've just had two wraps, with felafel in them. Different fillings. Just one felafel to eat now, might nuke that with chips in a bit.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I treated myself to pancakes for breakfast this morning with some maple syrup that my cousin brought over from Canada last time he came. It made a really nice change for breakfast.

Lunch was just some cheese and biscuits as I was in the middle of sorting out my wardrobe and didn't want to stop for very long.

For dinner I'm going to have a roast with some sliced beef and sliced chicken I found in the freezer and want to use up, and I've got some veg I could so with using up as well.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Another horribly stormy, wet day today and I've been a very wonky so mainly horizontal donkey...:(
    Food so far has been a piece of toast with the LO haggis from yesterday quickly nuked and spread on it. I'm beginning to feel more stable now so hopefully I'll manage to put together a sort of turkey "roast" dinner later as it's really just some veg to steam and the rest just needs heating up:).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback