PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Tea_Pea_Dee
    Tea_Pea_Dee Posts: 3,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

EDIT; On that note - those material breadbags suitable for freezer that I've ordered are currently en route to me from https://www.ecosnackwrap.co.uk ( and her I did wince a bit at the happy family photo - of 3 young children for an eco firm - but bought them anyway). Waits to see what they're like...

I thought you would be wincing at the price! £8.99? £8.99? So shocking, I had to repeat myself ;) It is basically a cloth napkin/serviette with a bit of iron-on velcro. That type of cloth napkin are 10 a penny in charity shops and the velcro equally as cheap for the quantity you can get. *walks off in a total daze* :D

Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners~Laurence Sterne
    All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others~George Orwell
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a tall freezer and small freezer in the garage. The small one is turned off at the moment.
    2 drawers of the tall one contain the cats raw food, and I'm due to order more, as when I portioned up his last 4 "sausages" they are all pheasant! I try to rotate the proteins so will order.
    In the house I have a fridge freezer the freezer of this is smaller than the fridge,having 3 drawers, that contain mostly my gfree bread in one or two.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 January 2018 at 10:47AM
    Options
    I thought you would be wincing at the price! £8.99? £8.99? So shocking, I had to repeat myself ;) It is basically a cloth napkin/serviette with a bit of iron-on velcro. That type of cloth napkin are 10 a penny in charity shops and the velcro equally as cheap for the quantity you can get. *walks off in a total daze* :D

Ahhh tea pea, it is always each to their own here, not ever to criticise someone else`s decisions. We all have different priorities and some of us have better things to do with our time
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I'm not feeling well today so I just had the vegan Quorn nuggets that were meant to be for my husband along with some nice, soft white bread.:o:D I will have to make him something else before he goes to work.

I'm going to look through the forum and then settle into my chair to read my book with a pot of lemon and ginger tea.:)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    I love my freezers and wouldn't be without them, however my fridge is too big for a CFOer. At the moment I have an "American-style" fridge/freezer which I do like but it's a 60/40 split between fridge & freezer. Next time I'll either get one with a smaller fridge/larger freezer ratio or two standalones. Hopefully not something I need worry about for a while;)

I'm still "wonky donkey" but feel a little less ropey in myself this morning so fingers crossed it's easing. The weather is much calmer today which no doubt helps. For the first time in ages I've wanted breakfast (another good sign I think) so toast with cheese spread and the last of the "Christmas" satsumas has been consumed. Lunch will be a small portion of the corned beef hash I made yesterday (boy did I enjoy it last night) with beetroot. Tonight's an easy one - greek pitta, halloumi bake and HM lamb donner from the freezer with the LO tinned toms from Monday:). After my lunch I reckon there will be a portion or so left of the hash so that will be frozen.
  • caronc
    Options
    I'm not feeling well today so I just had the vegan Quorn nuggets that were meant to be for my husband along with some nice, soft white bread.:o:D I will have to make him something else before he goes to work.

I'm going to look through the forum and then settle into my chair to read my book with a pot of lemon and ginger tea.:)
    Hope you feel better later x
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just checked something that's bugged me ....

When you go to the takeaway and they give you plastic boxes they're a "standard size" - and it's a huge portion, usually you've got about 1/3rd of that box as leftovers.

Sometimes when you go to a different takeaway you discover that they've "skimped" and provided the rice/noodles in a "smaller box" that looks "quite inadequate" but ends up being "plenty enough for a good sized portion"

You can go into £land and pick up the "usual size" ones at 8-10 for £1 easy enough .... but not the smaller ones.

One of the problems with batch cooking is that those regular sized boxes are too big for one portion, but that smaller size might be great. I like "solid boxes" so things can be seen/moved out/stacked easier than in odd shaped bags. But those big boxes take up too much room.

So I just went and checked. The regular size are 650ml and the smaller size are 500ml. So now I know the size I could potentially order some online, although looking at the price it'd be easier just to ask the chinese to flog me 10 next time I'm in there (online they're about £3.55 for 10 delivered).
  • caronc
    Options
    I just checked something that's bugged me ....

When you go to the takeaway and they give you plastic boxes they're a "standard size" - and it's a huge portion, usually you've got about 1/3rd of that box as leftovers.

Sometimes when you go to a different takeaway you discover that they've "skimped" and provided the rice/noodles in a "smaller box" that looks "quite inadequate" but ends up being "plenty enough for a good sized portion"

You can go into £land and pick up the "usual size" ones at 8-10 for £1 easy enough .... but not the smaller ones.

One of the problems with batch cooking is that those regular sized boxes are too big for one portion, but that smaller size might be great. I like "solid boxes" so things can be seen/moved out/stacked easier than in odd shaped bags. But those big boxes take up too much room.

So I just went and checked. The regular size are 650ml and the smaller size are 500ml. So now I know the size I could potentially order some online, although looking at the price it'd be easier just to ask the chinese to flog me 10 next time I'm in there (online they're about £3.55 for 10 delivered).

£5.29 for 50 any use - they wouldn't take up much more space than 10 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B06WRTXRTF/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Hope you feel better later x

Thanks. I do feel better now actually.xx I had to take a couple of the pain killers (for period pains) that my GP gave me.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I mentioned on here how I was giving up sugar in hot drinks and I think it's been about a month now since I stopped.

My husband bought some Nesc*fe and sugar for the person that came over at the weekend to fix our bathroom fan. I just had a cup of coffee with sugar and my God it tasted like the most wonderful thing ever.:rotfl:

I think I might have a cup now and then.:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure