PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    More rain early on & still breezy. I think the runner beans will remain blown over for the moment
    Missing gravy granules, I have a surplus because I always used to spot them on offer and top up thinking I was running out.
    If the wind keeps up Brambling I could chuck some up in the air & they'd be with you shortly :D
    Nice choccy bonus PN, does the recent rapid exit of fellow lodger mean the kitchen is available more often? No one else in there cooking ?

Today's meals are based on "use up" again
    Lunch, use up last frozen Gregg's C & O slice.
    They're OK as come in handy but I think I can find something healthier next time so doubt I'll buy them again
    Dinner, use up last of the L & M veggie roast beef loaf thing, with baked spud & use up LO half tin of beans
    Maybe with some side salad

Last night I had a frozen Asd@ meat pie, with HM chips & beans. Four in a frozen pack.
    Just right CFO size, OK and as you'd expect for about 55P each, I have some others, C & O ones and depending on them I think they'd be better option then the Gregg's slices

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Lovely pressie from your LL PN, she knows what you like :smile:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who mis-files things in random places Brambling, hope the granules turn up
    Damp and breezy here this morning after a very wet and stormy night.
    I had a lovely evening yesterday with my son and DIL-to-be, the roast chook was well received. D My younger son arrives back this afternoon and my sister has invited herself for over this evening (again lol ) so the leftover chicken will be used in a chicken and veg puff pastry topped pie for dinner and my sister will bring along something for pudding.
    BLT for lunch I think.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 August 2020 at 4:06PM
    Options
    Farway said:
    ... does the recent rapid exit of fellow lodger mean the kitchen is available more often? No one else in there cooking ?

No, new one's a "take over everywhere/everything and cook vast quantities of food" type too.  e.g. 1½ hours this morning, cooked enough to feed a family of four for two meals...  when you stand at the hob it's at the start, so blocks any other access, so anybody else going in it's a to/fro moving situation.  But, prepping lots of fresh ingredients consumes every available worktop for at least an hour + more pans and cutlery stuff than you can shake a stick at, which end up piled here and there awaiting some final "wash it all up at the same time" event.  

Also, did I mention the 6 hour chicken left there last week?  Somebody was cooking one, a small one, it was in there for six hours.... then it was out/covered in foil for many, many hours... and the dish "left in soak" until the next day when it was washed.  Nobody knew who/whose, but I worked it out. 
    It was in about 10am to  4pm in the oven, then in the turned off oven 3-4 hours, then on the worktop until >10am the following morning. 

Well .... this morning 3-4 chops put in the oven and out he swanned with his bf.... reappearing five hours later (just now) and only just remembered when he went in there... good job somebody else had spotted it after about an hour and turned it off. 
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    From memory, so far I've already managed to scoff my way through: 2 crumpets/marg, 2 sausage rolls, maybe a banana (can't remember), 1/4 of a cheesecake and a pack of doritos. 
  • Farway
    edited 23 August 2020 at 10:18AM
    Options
    Still damp outside but sun peeking through, the runners are still toppled. I'll stand them back up later even though forecast is wet & windy for Tuesday when I expect them to blow over again
    Your kitchen arrangements sound a bit muddled PN, especially walking down two flights of stairs to find someone taken over the space :s 
    I'd be a bad co lodger though as I do tend to leave stuff everywhere, and right now have a beef joint in the slow cooker which will be there at least until 4

Early start in the kitchen, the beef joint is one of the posh ones, defrosted overnight & into SC for tonight's dinner
    Plus popped an Asd@ mixed seed & grain ready mix bread pack into the Panny, and just removed it, looking & smelling very tasty

Lunch will be a fried egg sarnie using the new loaf
    Dinner, full on roast again, but using SC beef, Aunty B roasties, steamed cabbage, use up broccoli, carrots and maybe some HG runners / French beans if I spot any

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway
    Options
    Update, lunch became a fish finger sarnie
    Put the beans back to upright and found more ripe apples, plums & figs
    A good harvest
    I'll stew the apples and bake the figs, plums scoff raw, they really are nice plump plums, the variety is "Stanley"

Veggies prepped, beef smells yummy in the SC
    All set for dinner
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 
    It's a wet and rather chilly day here just 13C with a definite hint that Autumn might not be that far off. The stove may well get lit later. I've not long finished a video call with my elder son in Greece where it's over 30C and they were just off to have a swim now the fierce heat of day was over before heading to a beach taverna for dinner. What a contrast!! I had intended to do some gardening this afternoon but the weather put paid to that, I don't mind chilly but draw the line at weeding in the rain. 
    Pork pie salad for lunch and steak for dinner with baked spuds, flat mushrooms, onion rings, corn cobs and peppercorn sauce.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening  :)

Another grey day and other than taking cat food back to the pet shop as I picked up the wrong one ?I haven't been out. I just got the washing in 75% dry when the skies opened lunch time and by the time I had hung it upstairs the rain had stopped, we've had occasional storms all afternoon, so typical weekend weather  :neutral:

Nice family dinner last night for my nephew's birthday we had a Chinese takeaway and too much was ordered, I made healthy choices and then they shared their not so healthy choices  :s that followed by a small slice of chocolate birthday cake meant I was searching for the Rennie 2am this morning, it's been a long time since I've had a takeaway other than fish and chips a couple of times this year (once in lieu of my birthday meal under lockdown)

i finished off the LO beef today, beef and salad for lunch and LO beef and veg for dinner.  I 'found' a small amount of stewed rhubarb in the freezer so had that for pud 
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Farway
    edited 24 August 2020 at 9:24AM
    Options
    Brambling said:
    i finished off the LO beef today, beef and salad for lunch and LO beef and veg for dinner. 
    Yesterday's SC beef turned out well, so I'll be joining the LO beef gang today :D
    There were enough Runners & French beans to use yesterday, and now the runners are back upright there are more flowers  so if this Autumnal weather improves could be more pickings
    I've still got apples to stew sometime today, no rush because I've baked figs lurking in the 'fridge :blush:

Today is a real LO day
    Lunch will be last of the LO LM Veg "meat" loaf, probably inside a sarnie, maybe with pickle?
    Dinner, really CBA today, very likely LO SC beef & horseradish sarnie, with LO baked figs for pud

I'm in today, package due, not that I'd planned anything of course
    Plus my mobile provider is changing over via PAC, not that it requires anything by me except swap a SIM over
    Busy day, not
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    caronc said:
    I've not long finished a video call with my elder son in Greece where it's over 30C and they were just off to have a swim now the fierce heat of day was over before heading to a beach taverna for dinner. 
    Sounds lovely!!! Apart from the heat but at least they could cool off in the sea/pool. *Jealous* :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback