PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Admits to wondering at intervals about a cleaner - but then it rather gets resolved for me at present by not being able to afford one. There'll come a point where the question isn't "academic" anyway - as I will be able to afford one when I'm a bit financially straighter. I would think the going rate for cleaners is £10 per hour in an area like I live in. No "reason" for having one for me - I just don't want to do it myself.

Tries to figure out at intervals how long I think I'd need one for if it came to it and I assume it would take one, say, 2 hours each week to do a bungalow with 2 bedrooms/1 bathroom/1 kitchen - ie cleaning the bathroom and kitchen and hoovering throughout (but very little need to do that - courtesy of having a Roomba robot cleaner). I'd think 2 hours a week would cover it and, say, 2 days a year for springcleaning type cleaning (wash curtains/carpets/seating/inside of windows/clean interior of washing machine/skirting boards/doors).

So - at paylevels where I am:
    - £20 per week for weekly cleaning
    plus
    - £160 per annum for springcleaning
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would think the going rate for cleaners is £10 per hour ...., 2 hours each week
    - £20 per week for weekly cleaning
    plus
    - £160 per annum for springcleaning

So, just save up £2/week and have one big clean up every 2 years ... £200 for one session/blitz.

It's not "difficult" keeping on top of most of it a little at a time.... so just once every 2 years should give you a clean start :)

Although you then think about more interesting ways of spending £200.

:)
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2018 at 9:29AM
    Options
    :rotfl:You gotta bear in mind where my cleaning standards come from (not that I'm prepared to put that effort into being the one to do them myself.....:cool:). Offspring of armed forces family = I leave you to guess just what standard of cleaning I think my house "should" be done to - and the rather wide gap between that and what I personally am prepared to put the effort into doing.

Something more interesting - errrm...like the £200 or so I have just spent/just about to spend on ceramic pots and big plants (including trees) for my garden you mean....:rotfl:. That counts as more "interesting" in my book - you can guess just what I think of the concrete paving stones/concrete paths/tarmac currently in a sizeable part of my garden I imagine. If you saw me viewing a YouTube video of my home city yesterday and heard the words "......and even public areas look better than that in many places there". So going up a standard or two from "public Home City standards" for this being a private home - and...yep....that is a LOT of money I'm going to have to spend on this garden to get it sorted...:(. This could take a while....and meanwhile the "distraction technique of nice plants in nice pots on the 'hard surfaces' ".
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,111 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Similiar costs round here but the company I'm going to use work in pairs so £20 per hour but they can blitz a place in that time so I'm looking at £20 per fortnight or getting them in for a two hour session monthly so basically £10 a week which is doable for me without squeezing other things (like my garden budget) too much. I reckon then quarterly getting them in to do things like windows/woodwork would be enough - again with two so another hour so another £80 over the year which again is ok for me.:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 February 2018 at 10:13AM
    Options
    If you're up for a bit of cheap mince, it's on offer at L from today.

450g of turkey mince, £1.49 (£3.31/Kg)
    https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Offers.htm?articleId=10873

Let's face it ....for most people, "it's all the same" in a lot of mince recipes. That can be chilli as easily as beef would be.

Or - it's a great time to knock up a moussaka or cottage pie.

It's only when a meat is a "feature" that what it is actually matters.

I'll probably get me a bit of that, make a chilli. I never did get the beef last week because first I already had other food in .... then when I looked they only had 2 packs which were a bit fatty .... not bothered I "missed out" this time. This turkey mince will be a good buy instead (and 70p/pack cheaper than the beef cubes).

This week's veg is all a "bit posh and unnecessary and/or not to my liking": Avocado/79p, Spinach/69p, Garlic/59p, Asparagus Tips/99p
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Similiar costs round here but the company I'm going to use work in pairs so £20 per hour but they can blitz a place in that time so I'm looking at £20 per fortnight or getting them in for a two hour session monthly so basically £10 a week which is doable for me without squeezing other things (like my garden budget) too much. I reckon then quarterly getting them in to do things like windows/woodwork would be enough - again with two so another hour so another £80 over the year which again is ok for me.:)

Bit problematic the fortnightly bit.

What happens alternate weeks re the cleaning of kitchen and bathroom/s and hoovering? Thought - you could get a Roomba robot cleaner to do the hoovering on those alternate weeks?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I used to have a cleaner, when I was working and children were young and you get the occasional cleaner who is very good but most did a quick whizz and sprayed scent into the air to hide the fag smell

Breakfast was hm granola with milk, just now had some hm berry/apple compote with hemp, walnuts and yogurt. Lunch has to be salad because I don`t want to compost it and will have hot crispy toast with emmental cheese melting on it. I have expensive lamb to cook today, only 300g but I also have a whole celeriac and will tip some tinned soya beans in. Added celery, leeks, carrots, spelt pearls shallots garlic and spices will turn it into comforting bowls of food. At a guess I will get 4 meals to freeze plus one for high tea. I`ll get it ready now, pressure cooker 20 minute and that will be all the cooking for today
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,516 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I hate cleaning, got plenty of better things to do with my time, so having a cleaner is my personal luxury. I'm on my own so once a month is plenty. In between I occasionally have to sweep the kitchen floor, and rather more regularly wipe the work surfaces and sink/draining board.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I had a berry, banana and spinach smoothie and WM toast with avocado again. Yum.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,111 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 February 2018 at 12:03PM
    Options
    Bit problematic the fortnightly bit.

What happens alternate weeks re the cleaning of kitchen and bathroom/s and hoovering? Thought - you could get a Roomba robot cleaner to do the hoovering on those alternate weeks?
    I'd manage in between ok I think:)
    kittie wrote: »
    I used to have a cleaner, when I was working and children were young and you get the occasional cleaner who is very good but most did a quick whizz and sprayed scent into the air to hide the fag smell

Breakfast was hm granola with milk, just now had some hm berry/apple compote with hemp, walnuts and yogurt. Lunch has to be salad because I don`t want to compost it and will have hot crispy toast with emmental cheese melting on it. I have expensive lamb to cook today, only 300g but I also have a whole celeriac and will tip some tinned soya beans in. Added celery, leeks, carrots, spelt pearls shallots garlic and spices will turn it into comforting bowls of food. At a guess I will get 4 meals to freeze plus one for high tea. I`ll get it ready now, pressure cooker 20 minute and that will be all the cooking for today

This company are very thorough, no slacking. The owner (it's just her and a partner) is ex-forces....;)

Love the sound of your lamb dish:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure