O2 Classic Pay as You Go - cheaper from 18th Jan

Kim_13
Kim_13 Posts: 2,401 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
edited 19 January 2018 at 11:20AM in Mobiles
O2 is slashing the price of calls, texts and data on its pay-as-you-go tariff by up to 80%...
Thanks to Kim_13 for flagging the changes. Read the full story:
'O2 to slash pay-as-you-go prices'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

---

Mum is a customer and just had a text saying that from the 18th, calls will be 3p per minute, texts will be 2p and data will be 1p per MB - in effect matching Three's offering.

They say there's no need to do anything - the rates will kick in automatically.

This is a reduction from the flat 5p per unit charging structure at present.

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes, I've just got the same text. Great news!
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    That's brilliant, my OH and I have just joined 02 Classic PAYG and I thought the 5p was very good, but this is great:T:T:T
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• Thank you for posting this Kim_13, it was your post that flagged it up initially, our news team investigated and wrote it up as a news story.

Keep them coming :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Make sure you are fully aware of the numbers that are and are not charged at the cheaper rate. There are plenty of catches for the unwary.
  • virgo17
    virgo17 Posts: 955 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Looking at the terms and conditions, they state that a top up (min £10) must be made every six months. If this is enforced, it will mirror the model used by Telefonica, their parent company in Spain. In the Spanish market, making a chargeable call does not count towards preventing suspension, a six monthly top up is required.

It will be interesting to see if this is actually implemented in UK. Although O2 staff say not, it will be interesting to see what transpires.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    virgo17 wrote: »
    Looking at the terms and conditions, they state that a top up (min £10) must be made every six months. If this is enforced, it will mirror the model used by Telefonica, their parent company in Spain. In the Spanish market, making a chargeable call does not count towards preventing suspension, a six monthly top up is required.

It will be interesting to see if this is actually implemented in UK. Although O2 staff say not, it will be interesting to see what transpires.

Where have you seen that? a quick scan of the T&C’s showing on their website shows:
    7. Our Rights to Bar or Disconnect Your Mobile Phone

7.1. If you do not carry out any chargeable activity at least once in any 6 month period your Mobile Phone will be disconnected and you will lose any remaining credits balance on your Account. If you wish to be re-connected after this time you will be given a new Mobile Phone number.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/on-pay-and-go-our-service-terms-are-worth-a-read#bm-our-rights-to-bar-or-disconnect-your-mobile-phone
    ====
  • virgo17
    @d123

From the o2 web site:-

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go

"If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account. If you want to be reconnected you'll be given a new mobile number."
  • d123
    @d123

From the o2 web site:-

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go

"If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account. If you want to be reconnected you'll be given a new mobile number."

That isn’t the terms and conditions, it’s a help page, I would be more inclined to think that’s just a badly written webpage (not surprising this is o2 being discussed), that term doesn’t appear anywhere in the t&c’s.
    ====
  • virgo17
    d123 wrote: »
    That isn’t the terms and conditions, it’s a help page, I would be more inclined to think that’s just a badly written webpage (not surprising this is o2 being discussed), that term doesn’t appear anywhere in the t&c’s.

I know. It's bizarre and typical of the way O2 do things. Hence the reason why I said "if this is enforced" and "It will be interesting to see if this is actually implemented". Depends, I suppose, if they are going to modify the actual T&C's for this tariff.

At least people reading this will be aware of the ambiguity and draw their own conclusions about whether to commit.
  • d123
    I know. It's bizarre and typical of the way O2 do things. Hence the reason why I said "if this is enforced" and "It will be interesting to see if this is actually implemented". Depends, I suppose, if they are going to modify the actual T&C's for this tariff.

At least people reading this will be aware of the ambiguity and draw their own conclusions about whether to commit.

You agree to the T&C’s when you join, not the help pages. O2 would be in a bit of bother if they were to disconnect a user who had made a chargeable action within that 6 months prior to disconnection.

It more like the work experience lad who made that web page is clueless, he’ll probably be on the o2 board in a couple of years ;).
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport