Plusnet- £30 charge for disconnection of broadband

Options
Steve_xx
Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
edited 12 January 2018 at 11:48AM in Broadband & internet access
My sister is currently with Plusnet for Phone & Broadband. Her 12 month contract will end on 30 January next. She has decided that at that point that she will cease her landline and broadband in order to go fully mobile.

Apparently, Plusnet charge a cessation fe of £30 for disconnecting broadband from an exchange line where that exchange line is being ceased, as opposed to being transferred to a new provider.

This is just to warn people of this charge, and details of it can be found here:

https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Not just plusnet - this is the norm for ceasing irrespective of how much notice you give
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Not just plusnet - this is the norm for ceasing irrespective of how much notice you give

It's the first time I've come across this charge. Though I have to say, my sister is the first person I know who has decided to terminate her landline to go fully mobile. Currently she uses 3 on a PAYG basis, ie 3p per minute for calls and 2p for texts etc.

The real probelm here is landline providers charging their connection fees of around 20p per call, plus the per minute charge for the call. It's a no-brainer that one is going to make a one minute call from a 3 mobile costing 3p, rather than using a landline to make where the charge for the first minute to another landline is going to cost around 35p.

I can't imagine why landline providers have effectively signed their own death warrant. I also can't understand why OFCOM haven't interfered with 'connection fees'.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    I can't imagine why landline providers have effectively signed their own death warrant. I also can't understand why OFCOM haven't interfered with 'connection fees'.

Because anyone who plans to use the landline probably pays the £5 a month extra for unlimited calls I would think.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Because anyone who plans to use the landline probably pays the £5 a month extra for unlimited calls I would think.

I can see some advantage of retaining a landline and paying £5 extra month for unlimited calls, ie if thre is more than one person at the property it may be advantageous. But if you're a singleperson, not so, I'd say.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    K
    It's the first time I've come across this charge. Though I have to say, my sister is the first person I know who has decided to terminate her landline to go fully mobile. Currently she uses 3 on a PAYG basis, ie 3p per minute for calls and 2p for texts etc.

The cease charge is for cancellation of the broadband not the landline.

All set out in the BB ts and cs
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's a charge levied by Openreach on all ISPs that use their infrastructure. Some ISPs absorb the cost themselves but others pass it on to the end user
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    K

The cease charge is for cancellation of the broadband not the landline.

All set out in the BB ts and cs

Yes I know what it's for. But, there was never a charge for ceasing an exchange line, and therefore, I don't understand why there ought to be one for ceasing broadband service from an exchange line.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    I can see some advantage of retaining a landline and paying £5 extra month for unlimited calls, ie if thre is more than one person at the property it may be advantageous. But if you're a singleperson, not so, I'd say.

Some people live in areas where even a voice connection on mobile is not always available. EE say my home has 4G inside (I live in a "village" of about 3000 people). Most days it does, just. Other days it can't even manage a phone call. The advantage to me in retaining a landline, apart from in having a decent choice of ISP, is having a phone service that actually works all of the time.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    Some people live in areas where even a voice connection on mobile is not always available. EE say my home has 4G inside (I live in a "village" of about 3000 people). Most days it does, just. Other days it can't even manage a phone call. The advantage to me in retaining a landline, apart from in having a decent choice of ISP, is having a phone service that actually works all of the time.

I take your point and I accept that for you, that landline provision is essential, at least at the moment.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options

Until someone posts to say otherwise, I have good reason to believe that it is only Plusnet that now pass on the Broadband Cessation Charge.

I ceased a line/broadband with Origin B, wasnt charged a penny let alone 30.00

BT themselves have scrapped the charge

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-cease-charge/?s_cid=con_FURL_ceasecharges
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure