• Walter47
    Options
    Can you have a joint account?
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 June 2020 at 2:10PM
    Options
    The Club Lloyds current account also comes with access to some perks: Monthly Saver @ 2.00% AER for a year for £25 - £400 pm. is one. <See Club Lloyds Welcome pack> for more info.
    Edit
    Yes, you can have a <joint account> with one other person.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • lagib
    lagib Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I looked recently for a bank account to replace my present Santander 123 account which, come August the 3rd 2020, will only have an interest rate of 0.6%. For me it will not be worth staying on this account as interest stops and the monthly fee exceeds cashback for utilities. The Santander 123 Lite account looks little better for me.
    The only other alternatives I could find in the MSE site where I could make a little cash were the Bank Of Scotland Vantage or Club Lloyds accounts.
    In the event, I chose BOS Vantage because the monthly pay in was less and got through the application process successfully with what I thought was a joint account opened. Alas! too late, I found out that the account was in my name only and to change it to joint (with my wife) would require me to call in the nearest branch (Peterborough...32 miles away) to finalise the deal. Not only did I not want to travel 32 miles but found no branches were open due to Covid-19. I cancelled the BOS account straight away and thought about the Club Lloyds account. However, that too would have required me to visit the local Halifax branch in town to complete the deal and Covid-19 had caused that to close too. I now have to wait for better times to jump ship from Santander which used to be a brilliant account for me. Stay safe all.   
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 June 2020 at 10:10PM
    Options
    Any reason why you can't open separate accounts for the time being?
    If you each open a Club Lloyds current account you will each be able to save up to £400 pm at 2.0% AER in their Club Lloyds Monthly Saver. Their standard monthly saver pays a bit less.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 June 2020 at 2:00PM
    Options
    @lagib Whilst Lloyds afaik have always wanted joint branch visit for joint ac opening, I think Halifax allow you to, together, over the phone. So maybe ask them, especially under the current covid circumstances.
    We have never visited a Halifax branch together but we have a joint ac. 
  • AndrewTWelch
    Options
    I want to leave first direct because of their position on Hong Kong.  the best two digital banks are clearly Starling or Monzo, but my wife doesn't use a mobile - what is the best current account that is online, but not app based?  
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I want to leave first direct because of their position on Hong Kong.  the best two digital banks are clearly Starling or Monzo, but my wife doesn't use a mobile - what is the best current account that is online, but not app based?  
    'Best' means different things to different people (some are after interest, others cashback, others customer service, others a local branch, etc, etc) so have a read through the article that this thread is about: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts/

Worth noting that, even when avoiding apps, most banks now require a mobile phone to authenticate online banking and/or authorise online payments (now or in the near future), under strong customer authentication rules....
  • Roger.Wilco
    Roger.Wilco Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    Worth noting that, even when avoiding apps, most banks now require a mobile phone to authenticate online banking and/or authorise online payments (now or in the near future), under strong customer authentication rules....

Yes - one of the biggest pain-in-the-backside - and one that I am trying to find a solution (even another bank) for.
    Because of SCA many banks are now requiring multi-channel authentication via SMS or one-time codes as per the EU Directive.
    The biggest issue I'm now finding is that all banks assume that users only have _ONE_ phone so tie the SMS or one-time code authentication to just one mobile. 

Before COVID19 I traveled for work extensively and I have the situation where I have a work mob and personal mob and work Laptop but the rules are that there are extended times I'm not allowed to have the personal mob with me at work.  That at home I don't want to have the work provided mobile turned-on as I'm then automatically put into "on-call"; there are also work security policies that only allow work provided Apps to be installed on the work phone.   Because of the hours there are times where I need to do banking while at work (On the work Laptop the bank website is whitelisted and personal banking is allowed).

For the last many years - I've been using a separate card-sized one-time secure code generator that is attached to my keys which the bank provided; which is not considered a security issue at work and allows me to use any device to access banking.  However, now the bank is trying to force me to do the same thing via their smartphone App - even for Internet banking.  They make it so hard that they close access to the account for "up to 10days" if they ever need to post you a new code-generator (but the phone App setup is only one phonecall).  I realize that my use case doesn't fit into the 99% - but the existing system worked. 

Forcing CSA authentication via SMS or secure-code via smartphone App is not as flexible - but only provides the same level of security as the dongles.

The new system is only benefiting the bank as it is only software on a device they don't have to pay for! 
  • theshed
    theshed Posts: 223 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree with you there Roger '. I recently lost access to my account online while waiting for my new 'card'.
    I find the recent changes to online banking very frustrating, having to enter security codes plus passwords just to log on is time consuming. I can understand if you are transferring funds, but just to check balances it is OTT.
    If you call them they try and push you onto the Ap'. I have very poor mobile signal at home and actually struggle using the small 'phone screen for many tasks.
    My wife recently changed her Bank twice due to them insisting on calling to confirm online set-up. As mentioned mobile signal is poor and we have call guardian on the landline and the banks do not use 'regular' numbers.
    I have been with FD just about since they started in UK but am now seriously considering moving on. Which would be a shame as I am otherwise happy with them.
  • lagib
    lagib Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To Consumerist. Thanks for your reply but opening 2 accounts would require 2 monthly minimum pay in's which would be prohibitive. I think the local Halifax branch may now be open so I may be able to solve the issue with a visit.
    To Soulsaver. Thanks for your reply. I think at the time, I could not get the job done over the phone but with the possibility of the local Halifax branch being open now for business, I may be able to visit. I would however need to go dressed as a gangster with my black Covid-19 mask on. They may all die of shock!
    Both of you take care and stay safe. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure