Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• murphydavid
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Anyone know if the MY Offers in the Santander 123 account is being dumped?
    The number of offers in the past 2 months has dropped dramatically. Its usually 2 dozen or more and is now down to 6.
    If it is going then I will be switching to the Lite account.
    That was a service I had never heard of so thanks for posting. I just gave it a try to see what I was missing. They had 2 general offers, both places I'm not likely to visit, and none in my area (Central Surrey). So in part answer to your question. I don't know how many there were but it has dropped down to 2. I may try again at some point but in my case, unless it dramatically bucks up, not worth the effort.
  • fabsaver
    fabsaver Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Hi. Thanks for reply. Are you sure? They aren't listed in the terms and conditions or benefits, as far as I can see.
    Yes any Santander debit or credit card is eligible. Full details here https://www.santander.co.uk/uk/retailer-offers

I have the 123 Lite account and use the retailer offers occasionally.

I agree they don't seem as good as they used to be. The useful supermarkets seem to have been replaced by stores I have no intention of shopping at.
  • Barnby
    Barnby Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There doesnt seem to be any recommendations to deposit larger sums for an unknown period. I will shortly have some funds for the sale of my property which will not be used for an unknown amount of time. Could be 3,6 or 12 months.
    I have trolled round the local banks etc who just dont seem interested in taking larger sums of money.
    Any suggestions for a safe and interest earning place?

Thanks in advance
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Barnby wrote: »
    There doesnt seem to be any recommendations to deposit larger sums for an unknown period. I will shortly have some funds for the sale of my property which will not be used for an unknown amount of time. Could be 3,6 or 12 months.
    I have trolled round the local banks etc who just dont seem interested in taking larger sums of money.
    Any suggestions for a safe and interest earning place?

Thanks in advance

Any bank would do but the higher interest paying current accounts pay interest on limited amounts so you would have to spread it around.

If you want to keep it all together, you would be covered by FSCS protection for 6 months in all the main banks but for ease, have a look at NS&I Income Bonds or Direct Saver for short term

https://www.nsandi.com/our-products
  • onesixfive
    Options
    Just made enquiry with First Direct regarding switching.
    Asked about a joint Current account and 2 x 5% regular savers to simply replace similar at Santander.
    Beware, whilst savings is better deal than 2 x 3% savers @ Santander, and there is a switch incentive £125 on current account, there is no interest paid on the First Direct current account unlike 1.5% on Santander.
    This would mean shuffling more savings from current account elsewhere ??
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    onesixfive wrote: »
    Asked about a joint Current account and 2 x 5% regular savers to simply replace similar at Santander.
    Beware, whilst savings is better deal than 2 x 3% savers @ Santander, and there is a switch incentive £125 on current account, there is no interest paid on the First Direct current account unlike 1.5% on Santander.

Yes, but they do have a rather attractive 5% regular saver account that is dependent on the current account.
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2018 at 7:09AM
    Options
    onesixfive wrote: »
    If interest on your current account with an attached regular saver is important to you then perhaps Nationwide FlexDirect might be a better consideration. You get 5% on £2,500 for the first year dropping to 1% after the first year, and a 5% instant access regular saver. You can also get £100 if you can find a friend or relative with a Nationwide current or savings account to refer you to switch (they get £100 too).

Another option might be Lloyds Club where you get 2% on up to £5,000 and access to a 3% instant access regular saver with a higher £400 a month limit and a 2.5% instant access regular saver (standard £250 monthly limit). The account requires deposits totalling £1,500 every month to avoid the £3 monthly fee and 2 DDs to get the interest. Unfortunately there isn't a switching bonus, but the account allows you to choose 1 of 3 lifestyle benefits each year, those being 6 free Cineworld or Vue cinema tickets, a magazine subscription or a Gourmet Society membership.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • linz
    linz Posts: 1,915 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I've searched around but I can't find the answer to my question so I figured someone on here may know - I'm thinking of switching my current account from HSBC when I get the final £50 switching bonus next month, to Tesco for the 3% on 3k. I am able to meet the criteria each month (DD's and £750 deposit) for the interest but can anyone who has this account tell me if the interest is paid the following month or is it yearly?

Many thanks in advance.
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    linz wrote: »
    I am able to meet the criteria each month (DD's and £750 deposit) for the interest but can anyone who has this account tell me if the interest is paid the following month or is it yearly?

Tesco pay monthly on the anniversary date of account opening. If the account is opened on the 10th then the first interest is paid on the 10th of the following month.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • linz
    linz Posts: 1,915 Forumite
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Tesco pay monthly on the anniversary date of account opening. If the account is opened on the 10th then the first interest is paid on the 10th of the following month.

Thanks. Much appreciated!
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family