PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How do I find the landlord of the property next door

Options

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Read the OP - they already have the Land Registry details.
  • need_an_answer
    Options

reading the OP's original post I believe they have already done this.

The problem for the OP now being that the details listed link the owners of the property to the property and not a correspondence address so to speak.

The OP believes that those listed via land registry are not actually living there.

ETA Crossed posts sorry David.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is the problem when the landlord puts the incorrect address on the land registry documents >:-( I would go down the route of a fake reason why you need to contact the landlord like a fence or something.
  • PersianCatLady
    Options
    reading the OP's original post I believe they have already done this.

The problem for the OP now being that the details listed link the owners of the property to the property and not a correspondence address so to speak.

The OP believes that those listed via land registry are not actually living there.

ETA Crossed posts sorry David.

I epically failed there, didn't I?

Have you tried searching Google for archived rental advertisements for the property??

I found the letting agent by doing this and then gave them a letter to pass onto the LL.

Be aware though that no matter how awful the tenants are, the LL is under no obligation to do anything about it.

A lot of people are really surprised when they inform a LL of poor tenant behaviour and the LL is totally uninterested.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    .....I am going to ignore your final comment as it is childish and put there to cause an argument. Grow up.

Thank you for your kind comments. It was a serious comment:. We've heard your eloquent description:. But in my experience the "other side" in such disputes rarely has nothing to say. Feel free to ignore , if you so wish.

Best wishes to all, including those who disagree with this OaP.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 January 2018 at 2:53PM
    Options
    I'm not going to challenge the OP over her feelings for her neighbour but sometimes these things are subjective and can come down to "neighbour snobbery".
    I get that this isn't the case potentially with this situation the things the OP describes are not nice to live next door to however just because someone is a LL shouldn't mean the automatic right to have a tenant removed because they do not fit in with the neighbourhood.

I'm not writing this post lightly and know that I'm putting myself up to have bits quoted that may be taken out of context to the way the whole post is meant to come across.

I'm a LL and hopefully not of the type the OP posts about,but in fairness when I agree tenants I work with my LA to decide on the candidates based on a certain criteria that wouldn't necessarily mean I asked them how they would conduct themselves within the property.

Myself and my LA can only judge on what the prospective tenant tells us,and I will admit that actually on one occasion after a set of tenants left I was forced to admit they were "bad uns"!!!
    However I only found this out when talking to the neighbours after they had left and seeing how they left the property. It would seem that sometimes its a lot easier for neighbours to talk to eachother about a problem than actually make contact with the property owner.
    (I have never hidden behind incorrect details and would happily speak to a tenant if an issue was raised however how far that protracted out towards the issuing of notice would need to be decided on a clear set of evidence being produced to me).
    For the year they lived there when work was carried out or checks made everything gave no indication of what bubbled below.

I am no mind reader and unless issues are highlighted then it's not for the LL to be approaching neighbours for feed back on the tenants.
    Again I acknowledge that the OP has made good attempts to try and contact the property owner and unfortunately it hasn't proved a positive outcome

Don't blame the LL straight off....report your findings and suspicions in the correct manner to the relevant people,that's what will ultimately help you get the results you want.
    Maybe if its an ajoined house go round and say you think there is a problem with the loft joining wall or something and ask for the owners contact details to perhaps discuss.
    I'm also LL to a property where even before I put it on the rental market was faced with a very irate neighbour who actually gave me a list of suitable professions for the incoming tenants. Something about lowering the tone of the neighbourhood,as I say even before the board went up!
    As I said previously a case of neighbourhood snobbery.

other than that there's little recourse for you until such time that the tenants decide it's time to move on,and don't forget there are a huge number of homeowners out there who also don't get on with with their neighbours.
    tenants/homeowners there is little difference really they are all someones neighbour and not destined to get on with everyone.

I'm currently living next door to a player of loud music,nice people except that one niggle,both of us are homeowners and I'm sure there are things we do that niggle them.
    Not worth rocking the boat.
    But again if I felt that it became an issue I could consider some form of complaint regarding noise.
    OP I do genuinely hope you find a solution to the situation but I do fear that even in finding out the details of the owner, your journey will be no further forward in achieving the outcome you want.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• PersianCatLady
    Options
    I'm not going to challenge the OP over her feelings for her neighbour but sometimes these things are subjective and can come down to "neighbour snobbery".
    I get that this isn't the case potentially with this situation the things the OP describes are not nice to live next door to however just because someone is a LL shouldn't mean the automatic right to have a tenant removed because they do not fit in with the neighbourhood.

I'm not writing this post lightly and know that I'm putting myself up to have bits quoted that may be taken out of context to the way the whole post is meant to come across.

I'm a LL and hopefully not of the type the OP posts about,but in fairness when I agree tenants I work with my LA to decide on the candidates based on a certain criteria that wouldn't necessarily mean I asked them how they would conduct themselves within the property.

Myself and my LA can only judge on what the prospective tenant tells us,and I will admit that actually on one occasion after a set of tenants left I was forced to admit they were "bad uns"!!!
    However I only found this out when talking to the neighbours after they had left and seeing how they left the property. It would seem that sometimes its a lot easier for neighbours to talk to eachother about a problem than actually make contact with the property owner.
    (I have never hidden behind incorrect details and would happily speak to a tenant if an issue was raised however how far that protracted out towards the issuing of notice would need to be decided on a clear set of evidence being produced to me).
    For the year they lived there when work was carried out or checks made everything gave no indication of what bubbled below.

I am no mind reader and unless issues are highlighted then it's not for the LL to be approaching neighbours for feed back on the tenants.
    Again I acknowledge that the OP has made good attempts to try and contact the property owner and unfortunately it hasn't proved a positive outcome

Don't blame the LL straight off....report your findings and suspicions in the correct manner to the relevant people,that's what will ultimately help you get the results you want.
    Maybe if its an ajoined house go round and say you think there is a problem with the loft joining wall or something and ask for the owners contact details to perhaps discuss.
    I'm also LL to a property where even before I put it on the rental market was faced with a very irate neighbour who actually gave me a list of suitable professions for the incoming tenants. Something about lowering the tone of the neighbourhood,as I say even before the board went up!
    As I said previously a case of neighbourhood snobbery.

other than that there's little recourse for you until such time that the tenants decide it's time to move on,and don't forget there are a huge number of homeowners out there who also don't get on with with their neighbours.
    tenants/homeowners there is little difference really they are all someones neighbour and not destined to get on with everyone.

I'm currently living next door to a player of loud music,nice people except that one niggle,both of us are homeowners and I'm sure there are things we do that niggle them.
    Not worth rocking the boat.
    But again if I felt that it became an issue I could consider some form of complaint regarding noise.
    OP I do genuinely hope you find a solution to the situation but I do fear that even in finding out the details of the owner, your journey will be no further forward in achieving the outcome you want.

You are right that a lot of the time, it does come down to neighbour snobbery.

However, it is absolutely awful when you have nightmare neighbours with appalling behaviour and their LL knows about it and doesn't give a toss.

The LL of our NNs actually said "as long as the rent is paid then I couldn't care less".

More fool him because he will care when he sees what they have done to his property as he doesn't bother to do quarterly inspections.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am going to ignore your final comment as it is childish and put there to cause an argument. Grow up.
    I think you're the one who is being childlish if you think that a LL who rents a property to people like this, never bothering to come and check on the property is going to care one yota at what you might have to say!!

For one, there is little they can do but evict (in very specific circumstances which might not apply here, especially if the tenants have been there for less than 6 months). Otherwise, any issues is for you to deal with in the same way you would if the tenants were actually the owners of the property.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    You are right that a lot of the time, it does come down to neighbour snobbery.

However, it is absolutely awful when you have nightmare neighbours with appalling behaviour and their LL knows about it and doesn't give a toss.

The LL of our NNs actually said "as long as the rent is paid then I couldn't care less".

More fool him because he will care when he sees what they have done to his property as he doesn't bother to do quarterly inspections.

yes sadly there are good and bad LL's in the same way that there are good and bad tenants.

As fbaby also points out you have to also take into account if these people who are living there were the homeowners,what action as neighbours would you take then.

That's, imo the only way that this can be resolved,adding a LL into the situation won't bring about eviction of the inhabitants.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills