2018: Saving for Wedding and potential IVF

Options

Comments

• coastalchick
    Options
    Thanks ES. Hope your daughter coping ok with the PE and that your DGD2 is here soon!!!
  • coastalchick
    Options
    Another £45 each yesterday for taking away 2 bags of mixed waste - gah! We do tend to hoof off what we can/recycle but there are some things which just have to go to tip.

I think I am going to try to flog a load of stuff this weekend - I have a set of golf clubs which have been used twice and are taking up room. Wondering whether to flog or keep. Even if I wanted to, given we have a LO on the way, it's going to be YEARS (poss 18!) until I could actually have time to play! So thinking flog. Also trying to flog my desperate housewives full boxset but am missing 1 DVD (how annoying!!!). Got loads of DVDs to flog but people don't tend to want them these days (as a lot is on sky boxsets/netflix) so mine end up going to charity shop in end.

OH went out for curry last night (lucky thing) so got me a lasagne for tea which was nice. Had a relaxing evening with the cat watching Criminal Minds. Tonight we are getting take away but will be somewhere between £21 and £25 depending on if OH wants the side salad. We haven't had it in ages so a treat.

Got about £375 left until get paid on 20th. Tonight's take away and a big shop to do. Though OH wants me to get seeds and trays for greenhouse so might have to spend on that. I am also in desperate need of some more maternity wear - have quite a few things in my basket online though tempted to wait until 20 week scan (2-3 weeks depending on when they do it) in case anything wrong. That said, we go away on 8th May for a few days and I probs do need some stuff before then and it might not arrive if don't order it now.

Might just see how much we spend over weekend on shopping, paint and seeds and what's left I can spend on clothes. Would love to save some of this month's budget money however, but I really do need some more maternity wear as I have to be dressed!
  • coastalchick
    Options
    Ended the month with £36 left in my budget so hoofed that over to long term savings account. Every little helps!

Done big shop which was circa £70/2. Take out last night was £13.50 each. Have bought compost seeds, plants etc and a new door mat today which was around £85/2.

Been planting up seeds for greenhouse - have planted 24 spinach, 16 squash and a sweet potato plant so far. Quite a few to go (cucumbers, 2 diff type of tomatoes, potatoes and sunflowers). We have a lovely glasshouse in garden (left by owners before ones we bought from) so trying to make use of it for once. Not sure I'm very green fingered but can only try!

Off to my friends in a mo to see her and her little one. OH off to b&q again so god only knows how much he'll spend. Am budgeting for an expensive month (again!).

Bought the little one some socks in WR last night - reduced to £2.50 for 5 pairs so not bad. He should need very few pairs for first 6 months as will probs be in baby grows but will need the odd pair of socks too.

Tonight OH and I are out for dinner, just us. Early bird though and they need table back by 8 so that's fine as we are both shattered and obv I can't drink! Not sure how much that will be but hoping fairly minimal.
  • coastalchick
    Options
    OH just got ant killer (we are overrun by ants - thankfully in garden but this seems to be an annual thing so want to get them early) and petrol. Not sure how much so will just wait until it shows up on joint card.

Dinner was £36.50 each last night - 3 course though in a v good restaurant - OH had a beer and a glass of wine and I had lime and soda. Home by 8 and went to bed!

Today we need a few more bits for garden which I will go and get when shops open at 10. Going to OH's mums for lunch then having a bbq tonight (just us) but burgers, sausages and rolls etc already bought in the big shop on Friday.

Hoping next week will be frugal-ish as we have all supplies (bar probs a top up of milk) bought. Have to pay £5 for a sports and social thing then we are at cinema tue night so probs some sweets but minimal. OH out weds night with his workmates but that's out of his budget. Thurs night we are to neighbours for dinner and already have bottle wine bought in big shop to take. Might also get some flowers.

Big stuff this week is car service weds - god knows how much as there is something clanging underneath car! And we are to London friday/sat - OH bought us a cooking lesson with Sabrina Ghayour (Persian chef) for xmas. That and hotel etc already paid for but will obv be costs of being in london - mine will come from holiday budget account though - have around £1250 in there as put £250 a month away for hols and then my dad usually gives me a cheque in june and december from his racing winnings (around 1k a time - I know I am v lucky) so that goes into that account too.
  • coastalchick
    coastalchick Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    Very little point posting MSE wise - OH has gone mental and spent £600 on wood and soil to make one raised bed for growing veg! I am NOT happy. He's also in b&q every 5 minutes with the credit card buying stuff he says he needs to sort house/garden. So this month is not good!

We go away Tues-Sat next week but thankfully that will come out of my holiday account.

Then we have expense as we are having a big party for royal wedding. I am going to try to keep control of the spending by taking control of the food/drink purchases, as otherwise OH will go overboard and we will have loads leftover/wasted.

Next month not going to be much better - we have his dad and stepmom staying with us a week so will have to feed them every night. Then will be holding BBQ here for father's day and will be expected to provide everything - might get his sisters to bring stuff as well as doesn't seem fair we should bear all cost, esp if we've borne cost of feeding people all week too.

Gah! And still pram/car seat/things to buy for baby!!!!

Will post again when more positive!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,659 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Your OH sounds like mine. He has a personal budget as do I and the agreement is that it is to be used for personal expenditure like clothes, haircuts, personal entertainment. He has spent all of his this month on his hobby again even though he has about 10 projects on the go already and it is only the 5th and now needs new trousers and wants to know what budget to take it from :mad::mad:

Expensive time though for you and not sure when your OH is going to get time to look after veg garden with a new baby in the house. I think my DD and SIL have trouble finding time to sleep let alone garden. Babies are time consuming. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 May 2018 at 9:24AM
    Options
    Just read your diary and wanted to say a big congrats! I am in the early stages of pregnancy with my second so I know how exciting it is :) when is your baby due?

There are big savings to be made not buying into all the marketing for new parents - Im going VERY minimalist for new baby this time after feeling that we dont even need half the stuff we have saved in the loft! Boobs (or bottles), bedside crib & bedding, slings, pram/car seat, sleepsuits, cloth nappies, some playmats/blankets to let them lie on the floor and I cant think the baby will need much else for the newborn stage. We all have different needs so I wouldnt say every family should do as we are by any means! Just to reassure you it doesnt need to be budget breaking. Its fab you have free childcare too, plus you will feel so much happier leaving him with his grandma and knowing he is getting that one on one care I bet. Best of luck xx
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • coastalchick
    Options
    Congrats Bluegreen! I'm due mid-sept. How old's your first and when is your second due?

Agree re the marketing! We're really trying hard to just get essentials (pretty much what you've mentioned). in fact, we bought a second hand pram/buggy on Mon! Someone I know (so knew it would be in decent condition) was selling an icandy one which converts from single to double (as we will have to crack on relatively quickly with a second due to my age) and came with all the extras (car adaptors, footmuffs, rain covers etc). It was £350 but new, it would have been about £1400! And she threw in a brand new still packaged breast pump which looks to be a decent one. So we're happy with that. Might buy a new mattress for the carrycot element however, for hygiene reasons, but that's only about £30.

The only thing we won't buy second hand is a car seat for safety reasons. So that's going to be next month's purchase, along with a cot (want one of the sleep next to me ones).

Finished last month within budget and with around £146 left over so that got hoofed into savings. On this month's budget now and looking a relatively expensive month. Already bought the buggy and it's OH's birthday this month so am taking him for dinner and buying some sunglasses he wants - so quite expensive. Plus we have his dad and stepmom staying with us for a week shortly so will have to feed them. Luckily we've loads of booze left over from a party we had last weekend so that should cover that element! But I will have to meal plan!

Today we are car shopping. We only have 1 due to previous lack of parking but since we moved (over a year ago!) we now have loads of parking and we do need 2 cars for the little one, and because OH tends to go to work way earlier (he's normally there for 7/730) than me and I am struggling to walk in every day now and it will only get worse! So, we got a 0% credit card for 30 months with a limit of £12,500. We are planning on spending a max of 10k (as we do need a decent car as there will be many more holidays by car now with the little one) on the card and paying it off over the 30 months.

I had paid for what was my car myself and OH had sold his so we'd been sharing, so OH paid me half what I paid for my car and then we will just pay off the other car equally and they will both be jointly owned. Thinking the card was a good idea so we avoid having to spend our money (which OH instead invests in stock market) and paying someone interest!

OH got his bonus this week too which was decent and a couple grand pay rise which, after tax/NI doesn't equate to much but which was better than I got with mine and which should cover increase in cost of living.

Just have to try and be a bit more frugal on the old food shop this month! OH not helping and was at b&q at dawn's crack this morning spending more money on stuff for our veg growing escapade!!!!!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,659 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hope you managed to get car. Tip is to check your buggy fits in. One of my DDs friends bought a new car and then found the buggy didn't go into the boot. Mind you a lot of buggy's these days have wheels which can be removed easily. My DD had a 2nd c section for her DD2 about 5 weeks ago so couldnt lift or drive for 6 weeks so I have been going on shopping trips with her to help get the buggy out of the boot for her and it even fits in my relatively small boot.

Your DH seems to be going mad on the garden spend. I hope all this veg growing will keep your food spends down but not sure when he will have time to tend it with a new baby in the house.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • coastalchick
    Options
    congrats on birth of your granddaughter ES! Yes, fit in back easily as we are test driving Honda CR-V's which have loads of boot space. The iCandy frame also folds up into almost nothing so it's just the carry cot part which takes up the room but even that fits with loads to spare in these cars!

I think he might be ok with veg tending but we shall see - he's certainly doing a lot on it right now and tbh I think it might be good for him as he hates not having a focus.

We test drove 2 cars and are now trying to make a decision between them. 1 is 2008 and 1 is 2009 and not much between them. Going for another test drive tuesday lunchtime and will then make decision. Got both garages to agree to allow us to use our credit card without charge which is great. Worked out will only save £412 overall but that's still better off in our pocket than theirs and means we can hold onto our cash and invest it/save it. So pretty good and like it way better than our other car (cue fight over who gets to drive it most- ha ha!).

Pretty successful day. Now about to book a holiday (using 0% card also!) for end Jan with the baby - also using my loyalty points to get £60 off flights. Having to go with 2 different airlines due to times so a bit more expensive than if we booked a return with same airline, but saves us overnights in hotels. Hotel fees themselves not too bad but it's what you spend when you're there on dinner, breakfast next day etc to be taken into account also.

We could get flights cheaper but then we'd have to entertain a baby at airport (as we live offshore so have 2 flights to take!) for hours followed by a flight - so thinking better to book the slightly more expensive flight but avoid the long waiting around.

For me, cost will come out of my holiday account (though paid off gradually because may as well with 0% whereas my holiday account is earning interest (albeit a paltry amount!) so don't feel too bad about that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure