PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Had a wander up the high street today. Visited four charity shops.
    Got a Homer Simpson cup with coaster and key ring all boxed for £2.00 hubby will give it to his friend for Christmas. Also bought a hardback book for £1.25 Paula Hawkins 'into the water'.
    Scope cs had loads of pairs of brand new Dune shoes. I enquired and they explained that Dune give them all their shoes that they don't sell from the previous year (two seasons ago). Couldn't see what they were selling them for. Thought I saw £20 but I didn't have my glasses on!!!!
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Found this in the charity shop for £1.50 today, brand new. Will be good for keeping me occupied soon when I go into hospital and whilst I recover. Better than a word search book, which is what I was thinking of!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustration-School-sketchpad-Sketchbook-Creatures/dp/1592539769/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Found some really good craft book type bargains in my local warehouse store lately. Adult colouring books, activity books for children (which make great presents). All brand new amazingly and £1.50 each!
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I've been bagging up a load of stuff to go to the chazzer (mainly at my mum's insistence :( , its formed a mountain under my stairs) and will drop it off in one go when I'm finished. I dived into couple of chazzers lately, mainly because I needed a walk and a break. Yesterday I bought a personalised stamping kit for £2, and today a couple of BN good quality mugs for 50p each.

Perhaps time to re-evaluate how often you are visiting the chazzers? It's not money-saving if you're buying things you don't actually need. Sounds like quite a hoard.

Could you not try selling some of it to re-coup your losses? eBay, Facebook Marketplace or car boots? Books on either Amazon Marketplace or https://www.webuybooks.co.uk DVDs, CDs, computer games to CEX. If you have a good eye for bargains, you'll find you may well make a profit. I sell the majority of what I buy when I'm finished with it e.g. it no longer fits and I nearly always make a profit. Funds the next purchase. Whatever is left goes straight back to the charity shops.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    Perhaps time to re-evaluate how often you are visiting the chazzers? It's not money-saving if you're buying things you don't actually need. Sounds like quite a hoard.

Could you not try selling some of it to re-coup your losses? eBay, Facebook Marketplace or car boots? Books on either Amazon Marketplace or https://www.webuybooks.co.uk DVDs, CDs, computer games to CEX. If you have a good eye for bargains, you'll find you may well make a profit. I sell the majority of what I buy when I'm finished with it e.g. it no longer fits and I nearly always make a profit. Funds the next purchase. Whatever is left goes straight back to the charity shops.
    Tbh I'd rather use it, enjoy it, and then donate it back again.

The stuff that's been bagged up is mostly stuff I bought new over the course of the last 25 years and don't want any more, and it should have gone before I moved. I always offer it to my sister and Mum before I get rid, it was this crucial step that was rate limiting on this occasion.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • in_my_bumble_opinion
    Options
    *subscribes to thread*

Most recent haul:

2 X Mother's Day cards (not dedicated Mother's Day cards, but beautiful pictures with blank insides): 19p each

1 X Othello board game (complete). Was looking for this for a while: £1.99

1 X M&S lambswool cardigan for the wife (she loves it and has worn it several times already!): 99p
    ''He who takes no offence at anyone either on account of their faults, or on account of his own suspicious thoughts, has knowledge of God and of things devine.''
  • bellajack
    bellajack Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most recent buys are: A gorgeous silk scarf in earth tones. It's a huge square in a kind of ancient middle eastern pattern - ethnic anyway, looks unworn, is extremely well made, and best of all, has little tassels all the way round the edges. A large mug by Arthur Wood with big cherries, leaves and blossom pattern and a green interior also new. A brand new Madhur Jaffrey cookery book, " the essential MJ" which is a few years old now but looks unopened! Scarf was £1.50, mug was 49p and book 99p.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    bellajack wrote: »
    Most recent buys are: A gorgeous silk scarf in earth tones. It's a huge square in a kind of ancient middle eastern pattern - ethnic anyway, looks unworn, is extremely well made, and best of all, has little tassels all the way round the edges. A large mug by Arthur Wood with big cherries, leaves and blossom pattern and a green interior also new. A brand new Madhur Jaffrey cookery book, " the essential MJ" which is a few years old now but looks unopened! Scarf was £1.50, mug was 49p and book 99p.

I have scarf envy.:(
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gem-gem wrote: »
    Had a wander up the high street today. Visited four charity shops.
    Got a Homer Simpson cup with coaster and key ring all boxed for £2.00 hubby will give it to his friend for Christmas. Also bought a hardback book for £1.25 Paula Hawkins 'into the water'.
    Scope cs had loads of pairs of brand new Dune shoes. I enquired and they explained that Dune give them all their shoes that they don't sell from the previous year (two seasons ago). Couldn't see what they were selling them for. Thought I saw £20 but I didn't have my glasses on!!!!

I'm wearing Dune shoes today, sort of heeled wedge type with a leather flower tassel on the front, they came from a CS several years ago but weren't brand new, they are nice quality although I don't walk far in them or drive in them.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Found a white version of the M&S top I already have in about five colours for the first time. Also a T-shirt fabric black jumpsuit originally from Very (formerly Littlewoods), both of which will be good over the summer after No.2 arrives.

£2 and £4 respectively in Banardos.

And No.2 is due four weeks today if you wanted to keep track xx
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cherokee men's jeans, 99p. Looks like Marie Curie are having a sale.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure