Travelling On

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,322 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry that the car boot wasent as good carbootcrazy.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I love the sound of your Monsoon tunic, KC:j. I hope you can remedy the problem of the tiny hole. I think if it were me I'd just ignore it, unless you feel it might get worse when wearing it. I absolutely love Monsoon clothes and spent a lot of money on them back in the bad old days when I used my plastic as if there was no tomorrow:o. I'm still wearing some of them though so they were a good investment:)
    Thanks CBC :) When I jacked in my office career to start training as a psychotherapist, I gave myself a few months lounging about - for part of that time, I worked in the London Monsoon warehouse, with my partner. We got quite a few things cut-rate.
    Did another car boot sale this morning but didn't do very well at all. I think we were competing with lots of more attractive events and venues:(. At least I cleared more clutter and was home reasonably early. It was really hot out there but I didn't come home with a headache this time:j
    It sounds like it wasn't too great financially, but everything else was really good :T it must be frustrating, but I'm glad that at least you had some time free.

I'm already quite bored of not feeling terribly well, but several coughing fits have persuaded me not to do too much :( I did half an hour in the garden, and a very little walk - there's a stream bed at the lower end of the local cemetery, I counted a dozen squirrels in one go, including an albino one I've seen for two years now :beer:

Ziffit and WeBuyBooks have a bonus extra 10% offer this weekend so I'm going to try to see if they'll accept any of my books this time. Need to do it today but certainly don't feel like it:o[/quote]
    I keep meaning to check them again :o its all work, though, isn't it, and people are having a bank holiday, after all!

Newsflash: The house martins are back:j. I saw a lot of them on Friday but they seemed to do a lot of swooping over the garden and then disappeared. A lot of them are back in force today trying to renovate some of last year's nests that miraculously survived the winter storms. No idea where they are finding any mud though. Everything is bone dry round here:(.
    :j:j:j How lovely! I remember seeing house martin nests in the Loire Valley, but not here.

I tidied up the grass and roots I cut/dug in the garden yesterday, now they've dried out they'll be less weight in the bin. That little section is looking a bit better. Didn't bother doing much of that sort of thing, though, I need lots of rest, quite frankly!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,899 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad you had a lovely time away KC and I hope you're taking care of yourself, even if you're bored of being ill :naughty:

CBC - I've got to echo Beanie - £189 is a fab amount to make! Clearly you know your stuff! Sorry the second one wasn't as good though.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    CBC - I've got to echo Beanie - £189 is a fab amount to make! Clearly you know your stuff! Sorry the second one wasn't as good though.

Thank you:T. I'm not sure it's down to my being knowledgeable though:rotfl:. I fill the car to danger levels, I can barely see through my rear-view mirror:eek:, and just hope that the sheer amount of stuff on sale will attract people. It's a case of quantity over quality, I'm afraid. I have such a lot of clutter to clear, a lot of it inherited things that no one else in the family wanted and which have no sentimental value for any of us. My parents were hoarders, although my Mum was so uber-houseproud you'd never have known it. Their having a big house with masses of storage space certainly gave the illusion of tidiness. It was only on clearing out the family home prior to its sale that we unearthed a mind-blowing amount of stuff:eek:

It always amazes me what people will actually buy. I often come home with what I thought would be good sellers but manage to offload all manner of junk:eek:
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Whaaaat!!! I didn't see the £189 figure, I'm sorry CBC, I don't skim, but that passed me by :o - thats an utterly fantastic figure :j:j:j

Ah, then I read where the stuff comes from - I feel for you with the inherited stuff, I really do. When my dad died some years ago, it was very simple, because everything stayed where it was, my mum was still going and very active. When *she* died, suddenly we had everything to get rid of. A huge amount to charity shops, some just for ragging, there were enough finished patchworked quilts for us each to have a couple, plus one each for the five grandchildren. And then the stuff ... stuff! We're selling a few things individually - a painting that's said to be valuable, a first edition of a 1920s children's book, a 1930s coronation mug (if anyone wants it) and a load of silver as a job lot. But everything takes forever - I can understand now why you're still selling at boot sales, since that's where it comes from. And like you, I've been really slow to say, no, I don't need any more of that, that's enough. My brother and sister both came to that before I did :o

Okay, mse stuff:
    - checking out Pavers shoe shops, my sister's taking me to our local one soon, they have a sale on, and I need some nice shoes for evening do's. For the cruise, and in general for the future.
    - reached megabucks with SB, 10% of an Amazon £10 voucher, v pleased.
    - washing machine ran through twice, the last of the stuff from the holibob (I cleaned everything I took - the caravan seemed nice and clean, but better safe than sorry).
    - started to clear the post and assorted gubbins from the porch, as I have an Asda delivery tomorrow.
    - there's a "things shuffle" I can do that will really help on several levels:
    1. packing away my case under the stairs.
    2. roll of privacy/security film (needed it, before I had curtains, to stop people seeing the bottom of my staircase from the road each morning) - I can use it on a window in my living room (would stop nosy parkers seeing all the way into my bathroom!).
    3. sturdy cardboard roll would then be free to hold the prints I was given recently by the husband of my deceased friend - at least till I decide where I want to put them, that can't be a priority right now. They can be stored to the side of the immersion heater, safely out of the way.
    4. bed in the spare room becomes more accessible :j

Win/win/win/win ...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I feel for you with your efforts to dispose of your Mother's things, KC. I realise your loss was much more recent than mine so I apologise if my mentioning the subject of clearing out the family home was insensitive. Or badly timed:o

My brother and I sent to auction any valuable items that were not wanted by any family members, such as big and heavy pieces of furniture. A lot of items were distributed amongst family and friends and charity shops benefited from masses of donations. I mentioned to my brother that I could try to sell the 'dross' (sounds awful to describe my parents' belongings that way:eek:) but it was just accumulated items that I never saw on display or their ever using. I doubt they even recalled that they had it stashed away, and they were both very mentally agile to the end. I told my brother that I'd try car boot sales and split the proceeds with him but he said if I was willing to take the time and effort to do it I was welcome to the money. He suggested taking most of it to the tip:eek:. My MSE head couldn't accept that:money:
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Mentioning isn't a problem at all, CBC, don't worry about it for a single moment! I mention it myself as I need to, in terms of stuff I have to do, whether paperwork or financials ... and "dross" is a fit word for some of the stuff. A present to her from her sister, in the 1950s ... a tourist version of a German stein. Oh dear god! A dozen hairbrushes. A score of packs of nail files. Approximately a million glasses. I'd even use 'dross' to describe some of the food stashed away in weird places :rotfl: those packs of jelly you can dilute and make a pint of jelly or whatever :rotfl:unsalted crisps, thats another invention of the devil :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Anyway, I solved my little "things shuffle" from my earlier post. Suitcase is packed away in its usual place. Roll of security film is stashed in the airing cupboard. Sturdy cardboard roll it was in is now in the recycling. My friend's art prints are cut down a bit (from A3 size, they were unmanageable, and would never be framed at that size) and I've safeguarded them by storing them on top of the wardrobe, protected by a huge cutting board used for patchwork. Guest bed is that much clearer. As I said, win/ win/ win/ win :D
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,899 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Well done on the win/win/win/win KC! :T

CBC - it must be hard (physically and emotionally!), but I'm sure your parents would be glad that their 'dross' is helping you to clear your debt. It is odd what people will buy and what you bring back though - Mum and I had a good giggle at the non-sellers last time - they drew people in and then didn't sell (until right at the end, when we did at last get rid!).
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Options
    Thanks madvix! And a very good point that CBC's parents would very probably like for their things to be helping CBC so practically right now.

Ancestry have seduced me with free access to the 1939 register :o:o:o of course, I know perfectly well where my immediate family was, but there's some interesting loose ends, mostly involving people who travelled, or got detached from the family in some way.

Apart from take delivery of my Asda shop and faff on SB, I've done very little else :rotfl: and I really need to, but the genealogy is what I chose, so I can't complain :p though I can stamp my foot all I like :p
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,322 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I thought the fruit in my asda order was really poor.
    Had to ditch the grapes :(
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback