Travelling On

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :o:o:o I blame Tim Ferriss, the Four Hour Working Week guy. Immediately I read his book, one of the things that made total sense was just opening the post twice a week or something :rotfl: and given how non-immediate most of the post is, I still think thats a good idea. But I left it to build up for a fortnight :( and thats definitely Not Good
    :eek:
    It actually worked against me in a couple of things, so I'm just not going to do that any more. Monday and Thursday, thats me :)

Today I have:
    - put the dishwasher on.
    - texted with a friend about a day trip on Saturday
    - phoned my sister
    - took a chair to stand on while I lopped the cherry laurel!

Am now about to take the same chair out there with the saw - branches are a bit big for the lopper _pale_ then I'll phone my brother - house sale is supposedly only 11 days away, but the person he's buying from is creating a few problems.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,395 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Sure you can afford another holiday :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Sure you can afford another holiday :)
    I'm sure I can, beanie, but possibly not *that* particular holiday.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,395 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Oh & I very rarely dont open my post :eek:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Another one here that opens post straight away. I practically snatch my post out of the postman's hand if I'm in the garden when he walks down the path:rotfl:. When I was in crippling debt I was getting a lot of post:eek: and I knew exactly what the envelopes would contain or at least that it wouldn't be anything I'd like to read. I always opened them up as soon as I could, though.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Yep, I'm definitely an outlier as far as not opening the post is concerned. I can live with that.

I *did* take the saw out to the garden - my word, thats hard work! While I had the chair out there, I also hacked at the neighbour's ivy right outside my back door, which is obstructing both my light and my quince, so that felt very good. Like the leylandii at the front, it's still coming over the boundary onto my property, but I'm keeping it in check, even though the ivy in particular is growing by twining in on itself, grrr.

Anyway, shutting down now. Sleep well all xxx
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    I *did* take the saw out to the garden - my word, thats hard work! While I had the chair out there, I also hacked at the neighbour's ivy right outside my back door, which is obstructing both my light and my quince, so that felt very good. Like the leylandii at the front, it's still coming over the boundary onto my property, but I'm keeping it in check, even though the ivy in particular is growing by twining in on itself, grrr.

I envy you for the quince. Does it bear fruit?
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the info on your relatives KC. I did a spot of investigating some of my relatives during remembrance weekend. Sadly with a several of them having very common names I didn't really find much. Someone on my granny's side was in WW1 as there was a huge framed picture of him complete with uniform. I must ask my uncle about him as he's done lots of research into that side of my family.

The last of my great-grandfathers was a career military man who joined up in the late 1800s and was still in when WW1 started. Unfortunately his military records were bombed in WW2 and he was in the mounted military police so we've not been able to tell where he was when as he wasn't in a particular division throughout. We do know he arrived in france a little over a week after the war started but sadly died a couple of weeks before armistice day. We have many beautiful silk & lace embroidered postcards he sent back to his wife and his riding boots, spurs, whistle, truncheon and handcuffs. A couple of weeks ago Dad showed me some other things too - A letter written to inform my great grandfather's wife he was injured, another written by the nurse who was looking after him when he died (that one had me in tears - lots of brave soldier boy type sentiments & no last words), a several page letter detailing how his captain (who was elsewhere that day) tried to find him after he was injured and was taken for treatment and only found out a couple of days later that he had died, - sounded like he knew him quite well. We also have a picture of his grave marker in Belgium (the original wooden cross which was later replaced with a white stone one that is there now), It was very sobering reading those letters a 100 years later.
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Oh taka, thank you for posting that. That's very powerful. Lots of ours have common names too, but because I started asking questions so early (in the 1960s) the elderly people then alive were still the first-hand witnesses so I had much more information to go on to get to the right records. Some of mine were in the Burnt Records too, unfortunately, so there isn't much to go on there. How sad that he was in for so long, and killed so soon before the Armistice.

I remember reading Vera Brittain's autobiography, Testament of Youth, where she compares the condolence letters she got when her fiance was killed, in 1915, and when her brother was killed, in 1918 - I think she may have even called it compassion fatigue, not sure about that, but there had been so many deaths, it seemed to her that people didn't write the way they had done at the start of the war. Your ancestor must have been very special.

RIP. To him, and to all of them.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    CBC. the quince does bear fruit, but very misshapen, I'm afraid. Now that I've cut the ivy back (though a bit more needed) I'll be cutting the quince back too, I've let it grow half across the path which is my only access to the back garden, and it doesn't work. Cutting back may also help the amount of light, and that will help the size of the fruit. I did make quince jelly one year, before I got so ill, and got about 600 grammes.

More later - a very quick scout around the forum, then I *have* to do some financial work. Back later :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure