Travelling On

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Awww, thanks EE! I always feel I should be doing much more, because my everyday life is actually very quiet, but I do as much as I can.

Today: I did get a little local walk, to inspect "my" sweet chestnut tree. The squirrels have had it all, which is fair enough after all, I've been focussing on integrating my mum's genealogy papers with my own. And I've done about 1%, if that :o _pale_ :rotfl:

Decided to cook the frugal brownie recipe from here (I use an extra egg) - and, um, discovered some semolina that was dated 2012 _pale_ :eek: :rotfl: six years out of date is a little much even for me, especially since its just wheat, so I found some gluten free flour that was only four years out of date :D so I used that. Yum.

Excellent day :j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    ...and, um, discovered some semolina that was dated 2012 _pale_ :eek: :rotfl: six years out of date is a little much even for me, especially since its just wheat, so I found some gluten free flour that was only four years out of date...

...no weevils?...
    ...not rancid?...
    ...definitely safe to use...
    ...dates are a modern invention...
    :D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Love your out of date reasoning KC! Hope it was tasty :j

We had to pay for disposal of green waste at our old house - wasn't a fixed charge then though, you had to pay for each green bag bought from the library then ring to arrange a collection. A right palaver, given erratic library opening times! I think they've switched to paying for wheelie bins now. We were fortunate to have a small garden and a big car so just either composted or took to the tip.

Where we are now there's a wheelie bun for food and garden waste for free. Except for us - because the wheelie bin lorry doesn't fit down our lane :rotfl: so we have clear bags for normal waste, a small plastic tub for recycling (they alternate weeks), but they won't recycle glass in the plastic tub (they would if we had a wheelie bin) so we just collect that and take it to the tip. No food or garden collection for us either - but I compost everything and have plenty of room for log piles etc.

Gosh, don't we like to talk about bins?! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hope you have a good day KC and it's not all thinking about rubbish!
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I use flour thats a little out of date but hate the sour smell/taste that sometimes appears - guess then its gone off?

Glad you had a great day.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,578 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I use out of date flour to make my cheese sauce :o
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    :hello::hello: Hello both!

Bins are a force for good :D

Yep, a good day yesterday - I got incredibly tired, went to bed before 11pm, which felt odd for a Saturday; I knew I might wake up in the middle, which I did, and that was actually okay. And because I wasn't struggling with it, I did eventually go back to sleep, and got **oodles** more sleep, it was brilliant :beer:
    The job that has to be done today is to go fetch my train ticket for next week, and I might well use that to walk about 5 mins further and go to the Sainsbo - the lack of a functioning home printer has severely impacted me twice in the last month, so I could get some printer ink (and a few jars of pesto :D) at the same time.

A few scans are **needed**, then backing up the computer is essential, then Bob's my proverbial uncle :cool:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,578 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Pesto is something no one at the food bank wants.

Enjoy your day.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Pesto is something no one at the food bank wants.

Enjoy your day.

I think pesto is a bit like Marmite. Well, not the taste, obviously:rotfl:, but the fact that people either love it or hate it. I absolutely love it and OH can't stand it:eek:
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Well, absolutely, if I needed to use a food bank, I wouldn't be blathering about pesto quite so much, not at all, in fact, beanie. I know my problems are First World problems, and I'm very thankful for it. Maybe I should go back to putting online the gratitude lists, like madvix does. Obviously, food bank users do want tastiness in their food too, if at all possible - for the same money, a jar of mixed herbs might go down very well. Or a couple of jars of pasta sauce.

I was having a look at flavoursomeness for money at Sainsbo because of your comment, and I found something called Fudco Dhana - 75p for 100g, whereas herb pots you can buy are £1 for 14g !!! Fudco Dhana turns out to be pure coriander powder. There's also Fudco Jeera, which turns out to be cumin, same price. Jack Monroe needs to know! I bet she already does, mind you.

:kisses3:
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Gratitudes:
    1. all my sinks are now as clean as both my toilets :)

2. I slept *lots* last night.

3. When my mum wasn't mobile enough to continue with genealogy lists, she instead paid attention to the young, upcoming generations, throughout the family, so I have lists of the birthdays of all the second and third cousins that are also offspring of my own grandparents (sorry that's complicated, a genealogist will follow that, but not really anyone else!).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure