PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018

Options

Comments

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello all

Did a big tidy up of the flat yesterday after work, minimised a lot of papers out to the recycling bin and identified a few items to go into the CS bag. Trying to encourage OH to go through his clothes and get rid of a few more, he did a big clear out a wee while back but still has mountains of clothes esp compared to me.

Noticed that my leggings have a wee hole in them so that will be a job for over the weekend. I just have to remember where I put my needle and thread first.

The fridge is looking pretty bare but there's plenty of food in the freezer and cupboards so will make a meal plan based on what's in and will hopefully need to buy very little for next week.

A day off tomorrow so I plan to go to the gym in the morning and then spend the afternoon with my sister who's up for a visit. Hope you all have a good weekend :D
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1437.01/£1500 (95.8% saved).
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not been doing too well.

Mend fixed the letter box. May not last too long but have been fixing it every couple of months or so for at least 2 years.

Make do with food in the house. Back been too sore to go out.

Minimised some clothes, magazines and general rubbish.
  • savingpennies
    Options
    I went shopping yesterday and picked up some yellow sticker salmon; two large fillets which are now 10 frozen portions. I've decided to freeze everything as single portions, as with one daughter working shifts, and either OH or I out doing something else, I never know whether I am cooking for 3 or 2 (or 4/5 when other daughter and her bf turn up).
    I used up some bacon and cheese from the fridge to make chicken cordon bleu. I've never made it before but will do again as everyone said it delicious.
    I like the idea of de-cluttering one item a day each month. I have a study and a garage that is so full of stuff, it's hard to put one foot in front of the other:eek: So I think I will join that challenge.
    Minimised three books yesterday by taking them to my mum's. She's not getting out much at the moment because of the cold and as she lives on top of a hill she worries about ice on the footpath.
    No mending yet.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »
    I think it would be just fine Jackie, juggle away! ;)

Well, that mend didn't happen, not through lack of trying though! We (1) checked the fuse in the plug - nope (2) checked the fuse lamp on the string of lights - nope (3) checked all 49 other lamps - nope. :mad: By this time, the air was distinctly blue and it wasn't just DH either! :o So the tree lights "mend" turned into a minimise into the bin. I've also bagged up some baubles that I haven't used for some time but won't take them to the CS until about November (not sure they'd want them just yet). I've put a reminder in my diary 'cos no doubt I'll have forgotten by then. :D

I've joined the 2018 No Clutter to be Seen thread and am up to 15/2018 items so far. Not a huge amount, but it's a start.

Still making do with existing food stocks, very little needed just yet.

Hi- some charity shops take Christmas trees and baubles to sell next year. My friend gave our CS two.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Hi everyone:

Make do - sliced bread from freezer - my toaster has a ‘frozen’ function. Finished a jam from fridge.

Mend - nothing outstanding

Minimise - jam jar & coffee jar washed & recycled + last of the fishfingers used & not replaced.

Have a goodnight

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • mummypops
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have been a lurker for a long time, but would like to step forward in hope it might keep me on track throughout the whole of 2018. I certainly have a tendency to be all over it for a month or two, then fall off the MM&M, MSE wagon.
    So, far this weekend, I have mended two cardigans from my DD2, minimised a bag of clothes for the CS with an aim of selling a few things on the bay of E. That's on the to do list.
    Today I also minimised some part bake French sticks left over from xmas. Created some lovely pizza subs with left over pepperoni, bbq chicken and ham &pineapple. Worked so well, team mummypops have asked for this tea again. Result as it was very cost effective.:T

I am subscribed and continue to read all your great posts, they are very inspiring
    Onwards and upwards everyone.
    MP
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    Evening everyone. Minmised two bags to charity shop on Friday but came back with a few jigsaw puzzles. I like to have a few evenings a week with no tv or electronic devices, just sat down doing a jigsaw puzzle.

I’ve got 25000 emails to minimise, managed to get it down to 5000 tonight so a fair few more to delete, mostly junk emails.

Made do with stocks from freezer and cupboards. Mended my dogs toy. In the village I live in each year they do an Easter parade/party. They do an Easter bonnet competition where the prizes are money £30 for first prize. So this year I’m entering so I’m starting to plan now. I’m thinking of doing a recycled waste bonnet, turning recycled items into Easter themes. Not sure if it will work out. I’ve also got these cute Easter bunny charms in my craft stash, that I’m going to make into earrings for the party.

Ive also got to make some birthday bunting for my mums birthday so I will have a rummage in craft stash for fabrics. I want to be able to reuse the bunting for other birthdays over the coming years. I’m against using plastic banners.
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Evening everyone

while I remember names.....
    Welcome Mummypops - looks like youve made a great start and reporting in here either every day or once a week certainly keeps folk on track (well it did for me!) :D

Treasurequeen - wow thats a load of e-mails to minimise! Can I also suggest unsubscribing to those you havent found useful for a year or so? Also re your Easter Bonnet a friend of mine made some very pretty looking flowers out of coke a cola cans. she found out how to on pintrest. Hope this helps! :)

misstara - I hope that the papers you recycled were shredded or very well torn up. Please folks treat yourself to a shredder. Keeping your information private (and certainly not all in one rubbish sack) is very important - the bad guys can put together your address + banking details + anything indicating your birth date and create accounts in your name. Be careful folks you might not have much but the pain and difficulties you will encounter if someone hi jacks your identity will make life very very difficult for years to come. (including in one case I know a CCJ against their name = no credit available + potentially no ability to rent a place). :(

Sorry if that is a bit of a miserable post ( and if you are already very aware of this misstara) but Id rather warn my friends on here- while we are minimalising!!

As Im staying at my friends house (house and dog sitting) I cant do much on the MM&M front here! Recycling cans tho and burning paper rubbish on her open fire. She has left me a load of her clothes she is taking to the chazzer to go through and see if I want anything! :eek: Cross your fingers for me - Im hoping NOT to acquire more stuff but she does have very nice stuff! LOL :D
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • mummypops
    Options
    Thank you Lynplatinum, I am aiming for regular posting so let's see how it goes.:)

Also taking your point on private personal data i am still in the process of clearing my credit file having been the victim of identity fraud. I don't know how they got my name, address and dob as it's not on social media and i shred everything but thats all they needed and they made up the rest.... Employment, family life etc. Having returned from a few days away to find I had 2 new bank accounts with credit cards, 2 new mobile phone contracts, another credit card and a store card I felt violated and very very :mad:. It is in the process of being resolved but please be vigilant. I fully understand I'm not liable for the debts, but the effort and emotion to resolve is unbelievable.

Anyway enough doom and gloom.
    I have minimised, another two bags of clothes to the CS from DD1 and mended a button on a shirt to save it from the CS bag. Note to self...Button sewing lessons are required for the DD.

More mending required, MIL needs her trousers taken up.....It on my to do list.;)

I also minimised, most of my food cupboards and prepped dinners for 4 days this week. It's all going well, :Tbut I'm going now before my halo slips and strangles me.

Have a good week everyone. MP:j
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sold an item on ebay last night so that will be posted today, 1 more thing out of the house. I also started a new bag for the charity shop, I just keep popping things in as I go and then drop it off.

I also listed another couple of items on ebay last night, one of them is DD's bed, we bought her a new to us one yesterday (metal bed frame) and took the old one down after photographing. The new one is really lovely and has made a huge difference to her room.

All up to date with mending and I'm always making do.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family