PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi I was given a huge Pandoro cake at Christmas and was wondering if I slice it up I could freeze some as its far too big for me to eat in one go it weighs 1lb 10ozs :)what do you think I would have to juggle my freezer around a bit to get he slices in
  • sinkorswim2018
    Options
    Cooked a turkey on Friday and have been making lots of meals from it. turkey and salad at work yesterday and turkey and cheese omelette for my daughter. Today it was turkey Caesar salad for lunch and made a turkey pie for tea with cauliflower cheese using up a cauliflower left from boxing day and some cheese also left from Xmas. Enjoying cooking from scratch, forgot how easy it actually is.
    Now I'm going to mend a pair of woolly tights whilst watching Netflix, and see if I can fix the wind up torch I broke she putting the Xmas stuff away in the loft.
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Did some batch cooking today - got some YS mince so made bolognaise and also made quiche which used up the cream leftover from new years day. I've kept out some bolognaise out for Monday's tea and all the rest has gone in the freezer. Not really helping my plan to defrost the freezer :rotfl: however did use up some sweetcorn from the freezer so I guess that's a start.

Also got some YS smoked salmon today which will get used up for breakfast tomorrow, very much looking forward to that :D

Went to the gym today. Weighed myself on the fancy machine that does weight, bmi and body fat. Plan to weigh myself once a month to hopefully see some progress in minimising myself :)

Not much else to report, planned to take down the tree and decs today but only got as far as taking the boxes out so definitely a job that needs done tomorrow.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1437.01/£1500 (95.8% saved).
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I spent 20 mins on Christmas eve sewing up the hem on a dress that I had not worn in a couple of years - due to the fact the hem unravelled - on Christmas day it was like a new dress (teamed with a scarf I got as a birthday pressie)... it was so successful I have sorted through the wardrobe and created a mending pile!! So in the next week or so I should have some revitalised clothing!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Mrs_Smith_72
    Options
    Hi all
    Would love to join in �� I've just finished reading the 2017 thread & so happy to find the 2018 right at the start!
    I've been trying to minimise clutter in the house which is still a work in progress but also need to minimise the food stores! There's only 2 of us - myself & DH but you'd think I needed to feed a family of 5 if you looked in my cupboards & freezers !
    We're trying to build our savings as hoping for early retirement in next 5/6 years so I really need to knuckle down.

Love reading everyone's news & ideas, thank you in advance ��
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    Thanks for this years thread misstra I'm in again this year. I went missing on last years thread due to problems where I am living escalated and my health got worse. But I'm back. I've had a no spend weekend.

Made do with food from freezer, I had a chickpea curry. I've got six left in the freezer to use up. Also UU some BBQ sauce at lunchtime as it was slightly out of date, still tasted ok. I've bagged up some clothes to take to the charity shop along with some books, DVDs and CDs. Recycled aload of magazines and burned some paperwork in incinerator.

Couldn't find my sewing kit today but tomorrow I've got to mend two pairs of leggings. They don't make them like they used to.
  • Mrs_Smith_72
    Options
    Well today I have mostly minimised -
    5 pairs of too large shorts have sold on eBay this afternoon :D
    Nearly finished off a 200gm ball of Aran yarn - knitting a baby cocoon for my friend's soon to be born baby- will have to use part of another ball to finish off the edging but at least it's reducing my yarn stash :T:T
    Off to bed now so I can get up in time to start on reducing me at the gym before work :)
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd like to join in too, please. I'll probably be an intermittent poster (otherwise I'll not get anything done!).

Make do: roast beef in gravy from freezer for dinner, also rhubarb frozen last spring sprinkled with some granola made last night using up all sorts of nuts and dried fruits

Mend: filled up a fountain pen with bottled ink

Minimise: 4 kitchen knives, 4 wooden spoons and 2 oven gloves taken to tip

It's a start.
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options

1) go back to setting monthly goals for NSDs! So this month I ve been kind to myself and set a goal of 20/31.
    2) keeping on meal planning
    3) Minimising: challenging myself to get rid of 30 things a month

Anyone else want to join in the challenge?

I like the idea of getting rid of 30 things a month! Sometimes, just the thought of decluttering, overwhelms me. I constantly seem to be shifting things but then it's never ending. 30 items seems more manageable, and any more than that, is a bonus.

So far, this year

2 fry pans
    A cake tub
    A wind chime
    A set of coasters
    Salt and pepper set, and
    A plastic storage tub

have all gone to the charity shop (7/30) :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • keepcalmandcraft
    Options
    Thank you misstara for doing thid thread, I'd like to join in again. I mostly lurked last year but was always inspired by reading the posts. I will try and post more this year.
    I have already minimised 2 bags of clothes and four boxes of books for the cs. These included about 30 cookery books that we never used or just used for one recipe, so I copied out the recipes and gave the books away.
    Making do with soup at lunchtime which used some old veg from the fridge it's amazing how good old veg can taste when whizzed up with a few spices. Trying not to go shopping and use up the mountains of food in the cupboards and freezer.

JackieO, Pandoro will freeze well. I use mine for bread and butter pudding - it is delicious.
    Stash busting challenge 2024: 3/100 £0/£50 Fashion on the ration 2024: 0/66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport