Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 April 2018 at 9:07AM
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies

SUgarbaby -ouch how awful for you to suffer like that. I have similar problems but not as severe. I was given a tip by one of the nurses. Drink as much water as you can before they take blood. Even if you are having to have a fasting blood test you can and should drink water.Even when I just p r I c k my finger to do my diabetes test I always drink a glass of water first otherwise my body won't give up even tiny drop needed. Hope you feel better soon.

My test this morning was ok.....in the pre diabetes range, not perfect so want to get it back to normal normal. So another fast day today.

Horrible day here. I intended to out out for a nice mooch but it's cold and wet so I don't think I'll bother. I've got plenty of food in and plenty to do to keep me occupied. I'll save my money.....:rotfl: i also find it easier to fast when I stay home.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LL I always drink lots of water when I am having a blood test. :) I drunk more than half a litre of water before I left home to go to the Hospital which is only a 10 minute walk away. Then when I got to the Hospital I had another 2 full cups of cold water from the water dispenser. I also had to keep my right hand under a warm running tap for about 5 minutes. :)

By the 3rd attempt, I was so livid, that I pointed out that they were not going to get another attempt, this was their 3rd and last, so they had better make 100% that they had found a vein before they put the needle in. It took a while for the 3 phlebotomist to work together to finally find a vein on the back of my right hand. :)

Chanie
    I have 3 little bruises but no pain from my blood being
    taken. :cool:

It is cold and rainy here in London, but I will not let that stop my plans. I am going to a comedy event this evening at The Battersea Arts Centre.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks all for your kind words.:) I won't pretend it's easy maintain a healthy weight but I think it's so worth it. It can be a bit obsessive so to guard against that I never weigh myself at home. Instead I use how my clothes feel to guide me and just pop into a SW group every couple of months to be weighed there.

I sympathise and empathise with the small/deep vein thing sugarbaby. I tried many years ago to be a blood donor but had to give up as they found it so hard to get my blood to flow.

I had a productive time in Winchester chanie. As well as having my eyebrows waxed, I decided to take the plunge and have them tinted as well. I'm really pleased with them. I'll have them done again before I go away as it'll be good to have definition during the day when swimming etc.

I had a bit of a browse of clothes everywhere from Jigsaw to market stalls!:D I saw some fantastic wide cropped trousers in Jigsaw which although synthetic had a feel of silk. I will go back and try them on but at £98, they'll have to fit well!:eek: I suspect I could get very similar in Primark for a fraction of the price.
    http://www.jigsaw-online.com/product/crocus-drape-gathered-trouser/J33535_GN098

It's dull here but not actually raining. We're off to football this afternoon but looking forward to a night in tonight.:)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2018 at 12:35PM
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

LL you have done so well with your weight loss. Your right that Maman is an inspiration as she continues to maintain her ideal weight. :D

Chanie what a lovely compliment you were paid. :D

I had to have blood taken yesterday in my local Hospital and it turned into such an ordeal. :( It took 3 painful attempts before they had enough blood for the hosts of tests that the rhuematology Doctor ordered. My family unfortunately have very, very small, deep set veins, so every time I have to have blood taken it can end up being very painful for me. I have to explain my circumstances and always remind nurses and phlebotomists to use the smallest needle possible which is the size they use for children usually and people like me who have very, very small veins. I just hope that these blood tests will give me a definitive diagnosis as to the cause of all of my joint and muscle pains.

I should have had a decision on my ESA Mandatory Reconsideration, but I will have to wait at least another week.

Re the needles involved in blood tests - I very rarely (touch wood) land up on the receiving end of any needles stuck in me. I loathe pain with a passion - and so I've learnt by now that there is such a thing as local anaesthetic gel (which obviously the NHS should have to hand - but I've never encountered them having any in yet:cool:). I think there is more than one brand - but the one I get/pay out my own money for:mad: is Ametop gel. It's a small tube - just big enough for one or two needle sessions. One needs to put it on about an hour in advance of need.

I've found it's the norm to date for chemists not to have it in when I ask for it - so I have to order it and then go back and fetch it from them the following day or thereafter.

The other thing I've found re needles is one time recently I landed up having a needle stuck in me for blood test first thing of a morning and no-one had told me I had to drink plenty of water before I turned up for that test. So, I'd duly had standard amount of first-thing-in-the-morning amount of liquid and they were struggling to find my veins. It finally emerged that the reason was that a persons body needs to be pretty well hydrated to pump those veins up to largest size they go.

Well - as no-one had told me - then how was I supposed to know?
    So I'd got my gel on arm and they kept asking to use the other arm (in case it was easier) and I had to refuse (because I hadnt put gel on that one obviously). I landed up rather bruised from their attempts to get a needle into a not-very-well-hydrated
    vein:cool:

So a combination of one of those anaesthetic gels and making sure you are well-hydrated (in case they don't have the nous to tell you you need to be) and hopefully that will help.

edit; just read that others have also suggested drinking extra water. Re the donating blood - and, even in those circumstances (ie freely donating a product the NHS needs), I don't recall being told to drink plenty. Nor was any local anaesthetic gel provided. So that was the first and last time I donated blood then - as I do think it's entirely reasonable to expect that then and a "nice" drink and "nice" biccies afterwards wouldnt go amiss - as a thanks for providing a service some other countries pay for.
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi all,

I've been a bit MIA although still reading along. I went for a facial a few weeks ago & felt it definitely helped clear my skin up. I think I'll ask my DH for another gift voucher for my birthday so I can go again soonish. I'd also like to get a back massage as my neck & shoulders are so sore & stiff, all my tension seems to go there. :( The massage actually hurts a bit until the therapist has loosened my muscles up a bit but then it feels great.

I have finally restarted my yoga, trying to aim for 30 minute sessions at least every second day. I'm also trying to do 10 mins a day on the cross trainer until I've built up my stamina more & will then increase the time/difficulty. Just trying to work these around DS, luckily with the cross trainer being a short burst, he is happy to sit & play with his toys. With the yoga he either needs to be in bed or being watched by DH so I can get the necessary peace. :)

All the talk of blood tests is making me shiver, needles tend to make me faint. :o I also have tricky veins that look nice & big but then collapse as soon as the needle goes in so end up bruised & with needles in awkward places. :eek:

It took so many attempts to get a cannula in when I was in labour with DS & I ended up with it in the bend of my elbow & taped to hell to stop it falling out (junior doctor doing it was very nervous & her boss was being very rude supervising without acknowledging myself or my DH as he was too busy intimidating her :mad: Luckily he wasn't my doctor). The anaesthetist's nurse was appalled at the state of it when they took me to theatre (for the forceps & possible emergency c-section) & was interrogating me over who did it & trying to blame the midwives. :rotfl: I was off my face on drugs & hadn't slept for nearly 2 days so was slurring "A doctor did it, a doctor did it!" I don't know if he believed me. :rotfl:
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,060, Car loan 2 £10,843 . Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sashy well done on your fabbing efforts.

Maman Those culottes are very chic and would look lovely during the summer. I am sure that if you really like the jigsaw trousers they will eventually go on sale.
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I had to cancel my visit to the theatre on Saturday as I was not feeling very well in the end. :( I stupidly caught the handle of the roasted chicken that was getting succulent in home made gravy with mushrooms, sweet peppers and onions. The gravy spill was all over the hob, down the front and right side of the cooker, the floor and the side of the nearest kitchen cupboard. :eek: I had to don rubber gloves, move the pot off the hob, turn off the gas and set about cleaning up the spillage. By the time I had finished, I was sweaty and in pain. :(

I then had a lovely relaxing bath with Epsom Salts with lavender, my favourite Dove body oil and The Body Shop satsuma shower gel. :D This is my daily bath routine which is not only relaxing and comforting it really helps to keep my skin soft. After my bath, I took 2 of my newly prescribed anti inflammatory tablets which soon helped to combat the pain. :)

On Sunday, I concentrated on getting the washing and drying completed. I had 5 loads to do, but I left the 5th load to be dried this morning as I wanted at least 2 hours to totally relax before I went to bed. I also decided to tackle all of the items of clothing that needed repairs, so I got my sewing kit out and kept going until everything was sewn. :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh dear sugarbaby. That sounds like an awful mess and such a waste of a lovely home cooked meal. It's a shame you missed the theatre but you seem to have good relaxation techniques in place.:)

Have you used Groupon for massages/facials sashy? They can be very mse.:money: Well done you for keeping up your exercise around DS.:T

The red dress came but it's not a keeper. :( There's a lot I like about it but the cut is baggy on the bust and not flattering. I tried a couple of different bras on with it but still not happy.If you look carefully at the model pictures you'll perhaps see what I mean. https://www.sosandar.com/red-and-white-polka-dot-fit-and-flare-dress/

A smaller size would probably be too skimpy on the hips so I'll give it a miss. I didn't like it enough to spend £69 and know I won't feel confident in it.

So it's on to Plan B! I have an idea but will have to wait and see if the promised good weather comes. I'm thinking of my green John Rocha dress as I have a large, matching pashmina that I could wear with it. It also has the benefit that none of the family have seen it before as I've only worn it dancing. I think it'll dress up OK with heels and a smart clutch bag.
    https://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_120010834733_-1

I've had my hair done today. Just a quick cut and blow dry. It looks neater just for cutting my fringe a bit and I've made my next appointment for June when I go on my sunshine holiday!:cool::j

It's dull and cold here but fortunately we're far enough west to avoid the horrible rain and high winds that's hit some parts of the south.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maman thats a shame about the dress. You are doing the right thing in returning it, as you will never feel comfortable in it, if it isnt quite right.

Sugar how annoying about your dinner!
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Maman and Chanie, it was a mess but I did not drop any of the actual pieces of chicken thank goodness, so I was able to salvage the dinner :)

Maman you have made the right decision about the red dress. You need to have the right dress for that May wedding, so if your green dress will give you the confidence then go with that dress with the accessories you suggested :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure