Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Options

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi fabbers,

I have been around, but havent felt like posting. This was partly because I have been busy, OH hadn’t been well and also because I had a twinge of regret about my job last week and thought I may be making a mistake about taking redundancy I have applied for quite a few jobs, but havent had responses for a few i was really interested in. Technically, it has only been a few weeks since I asked to go, but it feels like a life time in other ways. Anyway, i am feeling more positive now.

Today was a lovely day in London. I had to pop to town early morning for an appointment and I got to people watch as I had some time to spare. I really noticed lots of people in cheap materials that clung to their bodies in all the wrong places. I also saw some people who were nicely dressed. Not high fashion, but well put together. It really is true about dressing for your shape being the key to looking well groomed.

I have booked a few days off work next week and plan to have a shopping day with a nice lunch. I have seen a few nice items for my new work wardrobe which I want to get. This is my most recent purchase, for my new work wardrobe:

https://www.fatface.com/women/clothing/dresses-skirts/christie-fleur-geo-dress/932574.html?dwvar_932574_color=navy&cgid=women-clothing-dresses-and-skirts#start=2

It is a nice shape on me and I can wear a long sleeve top underneath for the winter.

Whilst on the subject of wardrobes, i love having a lovely organised wardrobe so I can see all of my clothes and I am wearing more of my wardrobe now. I have noticed a lack of colour in my clothes, so my mission is to I ject some colour into my life.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hey everyone.....and another lovely day.

Had another lazy day yesterday, didn't even have to cook because my son and dil invited me over and fed me.....:rotfl:

DIL is doing well, still some slight nausea and is now the size of a baby elephant so starting to feel uncomfortable and getting backache now. I always knew she would pile on the weight bless her. She's 29 weeks now so still has some discomfort ahead. But she is happy and has started "nesting". The nursery is coming along nicely.

Going to go food shopping in a bit before it gets too busy. Apparently the garden centre has been rammed this past couple of days. Poor DS2 has been run off his feet. Was going to pop in for lunch today and a mooch and a bit of people watching but I think I'll give it a miss. It will be heaving today.

Chanie......I think that a lot of garments are now made with nasty cheap fabric, that clings in all the wrong places and which creases really badly. After a couple of washes they look like dusters.....as my old mum used to say.

And it's not just cheap clothing either. Even the more premium brands are guilty of this.

All in the name of cost cutting and profits.

Doc martins and long grey pony tails - fab. :rotfl:
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another lovely day here too.:D

I liked that dress chanie. I know you bought it for your work wardrobe but it's really versatile. It would look as good with smart shoes as it would with sandals for a day in the park or one of the historic houses.

Chanie......I think that a lot of garments are now made with nasty cheap fabric, that clings in all the wrong places and which creases really badly. After a couple of washes they look like dusters.....as my old mum used to say.

And it's not just cheap clothing either. Even the more premium brands are guilty of this.

All in the name of cost cutting and profits.

That's definitely true. :( When I'm shopping for clothes I use my eyes and my hands! I have to feel the fabric and there is so much synthetic stuff about that's not only feels horrid but is totally unsuitable for hot weather because it's clingy. When I was looking for a smart dress earlier in the week I was pleased to see some natural fibres in beachy dresses including in Primark. Once I've got the wedding outfit sorted I'll go back and get some. I saw a button through stripey, sleeveless shirt dress that I liked and some in the John Lewis Hush collection.

The good news is that the red spotty dress I fancied is now back in stock. As we're going to Devon and Cornwall for a few days I can't order it yet as I don't want a parcel arriving while I'm away. Hopefully it'll still be in stock midweek.

It's not just clothes that are being skimped on in the name of cost cutting and profits. We had a meal in a smart hotel last week and they had the cheek to describe as a main course what was no more than a snack! It was a tiny square of pan fried hake on a blob of mushy peas and 3 celeriac crisps. DH had a deconstructed rhubarb crumble that was 3 morsels: rhubarb, custard and a bit of biscuit on a plate. It was nouvelle cuisine gone mad! They provided the biggest bread board I've ever had to compensate then slapped a 12.5% service charge on top!:mad:

I'm out dancing again this afternoon. As it's so nice I've decided to wear one of my Boden sleeveless silk dresses. There's a cream tea as part of the package so I though an A line dress would be a good idea!:rotfl:

Have a good day all whatever you're up to.:)
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I actually fell asleep and had a nap when I was watching Rampage with my son. :rotfl: He was not impressed with my behaviour. He really enjoyed the film as it was action packed. I can not be overly impressed by CGI monsters. I would only give this film 5/10

I went to watch the film Love, Simon on my own today and I really enjoyed this film. It was a feel good film with a fairy tale ending to what happens when the main character Simon finds himself outed on social media by someone he knows. I would give this film 9/10 :D

Chanie
    I am glad to hear that you are feeling a lot more positive now about your impending redundancy. Change can be whatever we want it to be, you are in control of your own life. You have a bright working future to look forward to. :)

LL you must feel so excited as you watch your daughter in law's pregnancy progress. :)

Maman
    what a disappointing meal you and your other half had. :( On a brighter note, that red dress is back in stock so you can order it next week. It is a lovely dress. :)

I have so much quality items of clothing that if I had not gained weight again, I would be spoilt for choice. I have never liked cheap clothing. I prefer to buy quality, well made items that last for years. :D
  • chanie
    Options
    maman I love your story about your posh meal. I hate leaving a restaurant not feeling satisfied.
    Pleased your red dress is back in stock. I am sure it will remain in stock for when you are back from your hols (have a wonderful time).

Lessons i would say about 90% of my new purchases are from Uniqlo now. Not really high fashion, but I have found it to be good quality. I think the days of fast fashion are coming to an end, but people arent quite ready to accept higher prices yet.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh dear Maman. Your meal experience sounds very disappointing. Whilst I loathe the "all you can eat" type of establishments where people go mad and pile up their plates as if they were stocking up before a famine it must be very annoying to leave the table feeling hungry. As for expecting you to fill up with bread......well that's just taking the mickey. No wonder you were annoyed.

Anyway good news about the dress. And enjoy Cornwall, one of my favourite places.

Re the clothing discussion...it's nice when you do find a manufacturer who makes clothes you like.

My DIL likes a shop called Apricot. She took me there the other day. I was very impressed, although it wasn't exactly cheap I didn't think it was ridiculously overpriced and I thought some of the clothes were lovely. Not just for young 30 somethings either, I thought there were plenty of items that would be suitable for all ages.

SUgarbaby. I am ashamed to say I too have loads of really nice clothes I can't get into...I really must do better.

On a more positive note, now that my knee is feeling better I have been able to start walking again. Only 4.5k steps today but it's a start.
  • chanie
    Options
    Lessons I forgot about Apricot. I bought a dress to wear for a wedding from there once. I have just had a look online and seen some nice stuff. I plan to hit the shops on Thursday, so I will definitely have a look in store.
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Well people watching on Friday was interesting - popped to our local for a quiet Friday night drink as we always do, and ended up watching a massive fight erupt between some 16-18 year old girls! Crazy stuff.

Managed the gym yesterday followed by a soak in the tub and DIY pedicure, I think the gym is beneficial for my sanity let alone anything else :)

I've decided to use the last of a gift card I have for next on a nice maxi dress and some sunglasses as my last (not cheap!) pair have gone walkabouts - they must have gone to live with all the pairs of gloves I have lost over the years :)

OH and I are off to the movies tonight to watch Truth or Dare :)
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I finally went to watch Black Panther with my daughter yesterday evening and I absolutely loved it! :j:D My daughter liked it. :cool: I used 2 of my Groupon Odeon vouchers so it was a very inexpensive trip to the cinema. I would give this film a 10/10 :j:D

I had 2 hospital appointments today. I had to see a rheumatology Doctor and then have a chest x-ray. I hardly had to wait for either appointment. :D The Doctor is not 100% certain, but he believes that further tests will show that I have some form of arthritis.:eek: My chest x-ray results should be available after a week. :)

I am going to Karaoke tonight and I am really looking forward to it, as I have not been for a while. :D
  • chanie
    Options
    Good luck with your ongoing tests sugar
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts