Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Have I shocked you all into stunned silence with my 21 tips to a better life.........

Well I had a full 8 hours last night and I feel great!!

You remember I had a huge sort out with all my books and CDs, everything is now nearly ordered and organised. My new CD player set up. Well this morning I am pottering about whilst listening to some of my favourite music. Bought a new book yesterday which arrived this morning so will curl up with that later.

Have just given myself a facial and then tucked into scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast. Just sipping my coffee and listening to Mike Oldfield whilst I write.

Do I feel fabulous yet......nearly, definitely getting there:rotfl: just bring me warm some sunshine and my cup will runneth over.

And a whole lot closer to being fabulous than when I started this thread way back in the day. I was in debt, exhausted, sick and broken. I started the thread in order to fix myself.

Ladies, those who are starting out, do not be overwhelmed, just take it easy, go at your own pace.

Those 21 steps I wrote for you may sound daunting but they are just what I have learned along my journey. No need to try and do them all at once, just take them one baby step at a time.

As I said at the outset I started by simply wearing a squirt of perfume each day. It was all I could manage.

But yes, It really is as easy as that. Just find you own starting point and take it from there.

Have a great weekend. Keeeeeep fabbing. :D

Remember the clocks tonight.

Spring Forward !!!
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Well I feel a little better already nervously went to a new hairdresser today for a cut (a young male hairdresser I've never had a man cut my hair before!) and I must say he did an amazing job and I have booked in with him to get my hair coloured in a few weeks.

Reading through all your wise words from last night and they are all making a lot of sense to me :)
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Well done One Day......cracking start.

I am glad you are finding the help and encouragement you need.

Every so often I choose a theme and we discuss it. Or sometimes someone else will introduce a topic and we will talk about it. Please feel free to join in. We all learn from each other. We pool our knowledge and share our experiences. We also gossip and have fun along the way. I have learned so much from this thread and continue to learn as we go along.

You may have read that I have decided to go back to college and upgrade my original beauty therapy qualifications to encompass Complimentary Therapies. My goal is to set up my own practice. I will include nutrition and life coaching.

I can truthfully say I would never have dared aim so high without this thread and the support and encouragement of all my lovely friends on here.

We Rock!!!!
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

LL I am so glad for the reminder of all the ways in which we can continue our personal journeys to making ourselves, our homes and our lives fabulous :D

I went to my Poetry Group last night and there was only a handful of us. I did a poem called Grief and 2 short stories called Meeting Dad and The Wedding Day.

The poem Grief I wrote after the death of my Mother. It helped me to come to terms with the fact that in losing my Mother, I was now an orphan and had to adjust to a World that no longer contained either of my parents

The short story The Wedding Day, is about my joy at being chosen to be one of the 10 bridesmaids for my oldest sister Cathy's 1st Wedding and my anger and panic when it looked like the wedding was not going to take place

The short story Meeting Dad, explores life from the point of view of an 11 year old mixed race girl who lives in South London and how she feels about never having had her Dad as part of her life and the momentous day when she becomes convinced that she can see her Dad standing inches away from her

I got some good compliments about my performance of these 3 pieces of my writing which was a real balm to my soul and my self esteem :D

I got lots of free food to take home as well, which was especially welcome at this time in my life. :T:D
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi all,

I've been on the quiet side as still haven't booked in for my facial or re-started my yoga. :o

My DH told me the other day that my hair needed brushed (i.e. it was a mess :rotfl:), it must have been bad for him to notice. :rotfl: To be fair I had been dealing with the baby all day & he loves to pull my hair so it tends to get messy even when it's tied back. :o I've not had my hair cut either as my sister had to reschedule, so that will be done in 3 weeks time. I'll get there in the end.

I was out for lunch with friends on Thursday so made sure to wear a nice casual dress with thick tights & my calf length DM's rather than jeans and of course wore make up to hide my sleep ravaged features. :rotfl: I walked into town which is about 45 mins to get a bit of exercise too.

Chanie I have The Ordinary vitamin C serum which I think is quite good. I'm using it to try & lighten some dark patches on my forehead & upper cheeks (pretty sure they are caused by melasma as they get worse in the sun) as apparently vitamin C can help with this. I thought I might as well try for £4.90. :T

LL thanks for the reminders, I like the advice to laugh & dance every day especially. I play the radio for most of the day when I'm at home with DS & he already dances in his highchair. :D He loves music & watching DH & I sing & dance in the kitchen. :rotfl: I do advise him not to copy DH's dancing as it's so bad - he perfected "dad dancing" well before becoming a father. :rotfl:

maman glad to hear that you enjoyed Italy & had a lovely birthday. Did I already say this? I can't remember as have the memory of a demented hen at the moment. :o

Welcome to Lucy & oneday. :hello:

Sugar I hope your ESA claim is sorted out soon, the whole system is so convoluted & confusing. :mad:
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Sashy ....babies and small children do seem to love music.

When I was pregnant with our first we used to take “the bump” to concerts. I used to play music a lot too and my husband used to talk to our unborn baby. Yes unborn babies can hear and recognise voices and they will respond to music. I think they also remember it later on

I swear the eldest recognised some of the music we had played to him before he was born. We went to see Sky in concert when I was around 7 months pregnant. And we bought a CD. I played it a lot. First time I played it after my son was born he turned to the CD player and smiled.

SUgarbaby....glad the poetry readings went well and yes, I am sure the left over food was a nice added bonus. :rotfl:

I have had nice relaxing day. Reading, pottering about.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can I hear Maman groaning.......:rotfl: She must be so fed up of hearing me banging on about this.

Be warned it is one of my hobby horses. Every so often I nag you about it,

In a word POSTURE.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

No, not groaning LL. It's just that very time I read about it, it makes me involuntarily sit up straight.:D
    sashybo wrote: »
    maman glad to hear that you enjoyed Italy & had a lovely birthday. Did I already say this? I can't remember as have the memory of a demented hen at the moment. :o

Thanks sashy. I had a really brilliant time in Italy. This time last week I was at such an excellent exhibition.

http://www.bulgarihotels.com/en_US/milan/whats-on/article/Milan/In-The-City/philadelphia-milano-a-r.-at-the-palazzo-reale,-the

There were so many fantastic pieces all under one roof and the audio guide was great. We were so lucky that the collection happened to be there while we were visiting.

Glad you got off to a good start with the hairdo oneday.:) A good cut makes all the difference to keeping your hair looking good when you do it at home. I have mine highlighted too, otherwise it would be boring mouse.:(

I was out at a formal dinner last night. As I wasn't sure how warm the venue would be I didn't risk short sleeves. I wore my Phase Eight stripey taffeta skirt (CS bargain at Christmas time) with my 'go to' black jumper. The jumper is one I would replace if I ever saw one again. It's quite tight fitting, elbow length sleeves with a v neck front and back.

One of my friends was wearing lovely black culottes with a black lacy top. I'm determined to buy a pair. I'd buy winter and summer weight if I found some that were well cut. I tried a pair back in the autumn but they had an elasticated waist and just didn't hang right so I took them back. So when I'm next browsing I'll be on the look out.:)
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

ESA used to be paid when you asked for the Mandatory Reconsideration but now it is not. That was a rude surprise.

I got invaluable advice on how to write my request for the Mandatory Reconsideration and my Appeal from the Citizen's Advice Bureau website. :D I could not get through on the telephone to my local branch. :(

Sashybo can I suggest that your one step to being fab is to make sure that your hair is looking at it's best every day. :) You could keep hairbrushes handy around your home, so they will be easy to pick up. This may be an easier step for you to do each day, than yoga at the moment. :)

Even on the days when my pain is quite extreme, I will make the effort to continue my journey from frump to fab. It would be easy to forego all of the activities that will put a smile on my face, make me laugh or allow me to forget about my health issues, but this thread is a daily reminder of how important it is for me to do the activities that I love and which bring me joy. I know that when I go to the cinema or to a show, sitting still on a seat will make my joints seize up a bit and be more painful but it does not stop me. I know I will need to hold onto the back of a chair to stand up at the end of a film or a show and that I will be walking without a straight back and look like an elderly version of myself, but hey ho it is worth it for the pleasure I will get from watching a film or a show. :D
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sugar good luck with your review. You do remarkably well to keep living, despite ill health. It is really important to keep psychologically well as well as physically fit and you certainly have lots of fun and adventures.

Sashy what works well with my hair, when I can!!!8217;t be bothered is having so e nice hair clips and accessories. Even if your hair is messy, a decent clip will help distract from that.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's been a good day here, quite mild and some sunshine. DH and I did get out for a walk for about an hour Also managed to clear some urgent paperwork and in process of cooking us a lovely roast (first for a few weeks) so not a total waste of a day.:)

I've started thinking about what I could wear to a wedding on the May Bank Holiday weekend. It's a while since I bought anything new for a wedding so I might treat myself. I'm quite fancying this:

https://www.sosandar.com/red-and-white-polka-dot-fit-and-flare-dress/

but I'd like ideas. I don't want something that I'll only wear once. What would you wear for that time of the year (civil ceremony all in one place)? What would you wear with a dress?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure