Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How to help the genuine homeless is a very difficult one. I was in our city centre recently and overheard a group of beggars checking with each other who'd 'done' which street. They might have just been using a bit of common sense and organisation but it seemed very suspicious to me.

The problem with many of the homeless is that they have addiction problems and so many of the shelters in our area are 'dry' so anyone who can't stop drinking has to stay away.

On another note I wanted to share a TV programme that I've really enjoyed. If any of you remember the series Silk (about barristers) and perhaps The Coroner (set in the West Country) I think you'd like it. It's called Striking Out and it's about a young solicitor in Dublin. So it is about the law but quite gentle and entertaining. A second series has just started but the first is on catch up.

I had a compliment from a friend last night about my eyebrows!:) I couldn't explain properly as we were dancing but she said how good they looked and asked whether I'd had them done to go away. I just thanked her but wish I'd had time to tell her about the kit that makes them look so much more groomed.:)

I've made a chiropody appointment for later. I'm conscious that they could do with a little attention to my nails after wearing heels for my party, walking all last week and then dancing. I might have a little browse in the city centre while I'm there and see if any spring outfits take my fancy (strictly window shopping:money:).
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done on the eyebrow compliment, maman. I!!!8217;m sure your friend will appreciate your the tip about the eyebrow kit.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

LL I have always loved Elvis. :D He was a musical favourite of my Mother and Father, so we watched all his films again and again and my parents had his Gospel albums.

Maman your eyebrow kit is worth the time and effort as you are obviously getting good results

Yesterday I went to my local Odeon twice. In the morning, I went to see the film Finding Your Feet. I did really enjoy the film, but it did not live up to my expectations. Imelda Stauton was in the lead and central to the plot was her character learning to dance at the dance class her sister attends every Thursday. I am not sure why Imelda Staunton was cast as the lead, when she is one of those people who do not possess much dancing skills even though she is a very enthusiastic dancer. It was also implausible that the members of the dance group were transported to Italy all expenses paid on the strength of a flash mob dance they do in public in Leicester Square as they were only okay dancers. There were other disappointing scenes for me, but I will not go into too much detail as I would not want to spoil the plot for anyone who is reading this. I would give this film a 6/10 :)

In the evening I went to see the film Lady Bird and I absolutely loved it. It is a coming of age drama and it is also a really good study of the difficult relationship the girl who is the lead character has with her Mother, even though they love each other deeply. I would give this film 9.5/10 :D

I used 2 of my Groupon Odeon e-tickets, so I saved myself a total of £15.50 on these 2 cinema tickets :T

It was so lovely to have blue skies and the sun shining here in London yesterday. It was still cold enough for me to need to wear my hat, gloves and scarf, but it gave the illusion that Spring had arrived.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 March 2018 at 10:00AM
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies.

SUgarbaby.....interesting to hear your comments about Finding Your Feet. I would probably give It 8 out of 10. I agree the trip to Italy was a bit contrived, but I think that was just a plot device so that the Celia Imrie character gets to go full circle....I had better not say any more or I will give the denouement away.;)

I would however give the other recent film I saw, The Greatest Showman, 11 out of 10, if I could. I was blown away by that one. It transported me to a very happy place, and like the little girls I mentioned, I too felt like dancing in the aisles. Hugh Jackman was absolutely superb, although of course he was a proper song and dance man long before he became Wolverine.

Finding your Feet was praised to the skies by the critics, whilst they panned the Greatest Showman. Showman was a slow burner and became so successful by word of mouth. I find this a lot. The critics often get it wrong.

Ultimately it is the public who decide, we are the ones who buy the tickets. I find the critics can be a bit up themselves.......and I speak as an academic who took Visual Cultures as a degree. My course included film studies so I got used to the irony of critics panning films which have turned out to be evergreen classics.

I often wonder if there is an element of jealousy among critics. A bit of sour grapes perhaps.??

I am afraid I hold no truck with academic snobbery. Whilst I admire Staunton, Imrie and co they do seem to have rather cornered the market in roles for older women. The critics and the establishment love them so and there seems to be almost a kind of closed shop at work. It would be nice to see some different faces now and again. Just my opinion.......:D

I have got a couple of Odeon vouchers to use up by April so I shall be planning some more cinema trips soon. I do love the cinema.

Well last night was my first night st college. It was basically just an induction evening. There are 14 of us in the class which is lovely. I was of course the eldest.:rotfl: but there were a few who were in their 30s and 40s looking at career changes so I did not feel out of place. They seemed like a nice bunch of ladies. We start in earnest next week with our first practical. The course outline and the work we will be doing sounds really interesting and I am looking forward to it.

This course takes me to level 2 which gives me certification to work in a salon or set up my own practice, my preferred option. Level 3 is very intensive but would give me much higher qualifications. I am not going to make any decisions just yet.

What a pity you all live so far away.....you could have been my test subjects and had some free treatments.

I agree it was lovely to see the sun yesterday. It is just peaking through now so hopefully today will be nice. It seems warmer today too.

Lost another 1lb. It is very slow going but at least it is in the right direction.

Yesterday I had to buy some black trousers for college. I also picked up a heather coloured sweater and a cream top, both half price in the sale. I also splashed out and bought a new lipstick.

Have a great day.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 March 2018 at 10:13AM
    Options
    Ps. Maman. Thanks for the recommendation for Striking Out. I will give it a whirl. I loved Silk. I thought Maxine Peake was brilliant in that. Great storylines too.

Chanie......I am so envious of you shopping in Covent Garden. I love it there. I could just mooch around for hours. Maybe I will get the chance to go again later this year.

PPs. My qualifications will be internationally recognised........a stint on cruise ships perhaps.??? Ha ha. Mmmmm not a bad idea. Lol.
  • lucywillow
    lucywillow Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    Hope you don't mind but I'm a long term 'lurker' who would like to join your inspiring group.
    I have a milestone birthday this summer and I would certainly like to feel more fab than I currently do. .
    Over the last few years I've lost both my parents, had to leave a job I loved & had for 25 years due to relocation and have gradually become very isolated.
    I've never been hugely confident but like a lot of women I've lost my sense of who I am when I'm not looking after my DH or DD. This thread has been an inspiration and a friendly source of information and I've forced myself to come out from lurking as I really need to find a renewed sense of purpose & direction. Thanks
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    LL I am glad that you really enjoyed Finding Your Feet and that you were blown away by The Greatest Showman. I will definitely be going to watch The Greatest Showman again in the coming weeks. :D The critics were absolutely insulting and vicious about The Greatest Showman and the people going to watch it. :rotfl: Well the viewing public soon put the critics in their rightful place. :p There are even sing a long versions of The Greatest Showman showing in cinemas as well as the original version of the film. :T:D

I do not let anyone let alone the critics dictate what films I see at the cinema. It is my time and money and ultimately only my own opinion matters in what I choose to watch at the cinema. I do not usually recommend films to anyone, as we all have differing tastes and will take different things from the same film, but I was all over Facebook recommending The Greatest Showman. :D

LL your course sounds like it will meet all of your expectations and you will have various avenues open to you when you are qualified.

Great news on your continued weight loss :D

After my exertions this week, I am bone tired, so today I am just going to rest, nap, read my latest book and watch recorded television programmes and give my body a well earned rest
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    A warm welcome Lucy I hope you continue to add your own thoughts and feelings to this thread. We all learn from each other
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :wave: So pleased you decided to stop lurking lucy. Welcome.:) If you've read the thread you'll know we have a general chat loosely based on making the best of ourselves. That can be on your appearance but also on your home surroundings or keeping your mind active.

I recognise your feeling of losing who you are. I spent so many years defined by my job which was great in the workplace but felt invisible when I was out of it. I'd suggest some small steps to make you feel better. LL always recommends daily perfume!:D I'd say make some time for yourself to actually achieve something. That can be something fun like a book or a film or an exhibition or something practical like sorting out your wardrobe or having a pampering session. I always believe that achieving something helps give you back control.:)

I read an interesting article yesterday based on thecurrent facebook personal data furore. The point being made was that although the internet has its downside , it definitely has many, many benefits too. One that struck me was that you can make so many virtual friends with shared interests or different points of view or both! What I like about this thread (and one or two others that I visit) is that we observe all the same rules of politeness that my RL friends do. :A

That's interesting what you said about reviews LL. I do think many critics are a bit up themselves. I remember the TV critic in my newspaper dismissing Downton Abbey as tosh and then having to eat his words when it became incredibly popular. I had a similar conversation with a young woman studying film and she said that we need to remember (and that included the critics who often seem to forget) who the target audience is for various films and books.

I hope you enjoy Striking Out. It's not quite as intense as Silk or with actors of the Maxine Peak calibre. It's made for RTE in Ireland I believe so probably couldn't afford her fees! Glad the course went well. I admire your enterprise.:)

I agree that there is a feeling of Spring in the air sugarbaby. And it should be even moreso next week after the clocks go forward. We've had a lovely, sunny day here. I'm out this evening for a meeting and possibly a pub meal with friends. I've decided to wear one of my velvet White Stuff skirts and my (not worn yet) knee length black suede boots. I've been keeping them for a day when there's no chance of them getting wet.:D
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello all

Today I popped into a couple of charity shops and got myself a new top and cardigan - £6.99 for both. The top is beautiful, yet another stripey one ;) but with flowers on as well.

I've got a night out on Saturday and struggling to find something to wear. I'm really bloated and have put on weight while back eating gluten so a lot of my clothes are too tight. Maybe was a bit too hasty in doing a massive wardrobe clearout :rotfl:.

The ys flowers that I bought 10 days ago are still going strong and make me smile every time I look at them :D. I love having fresh flowers in the house.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1437.01/£1500 (95.8% saved).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure