Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :wave: Just waving you off on your trip LL. Do call in when you get wifi and let us know where you are and how you're doing.:)

Glad you had a good time sugarbaby. That meal sounds like an amazing bargain for what you had and also something different from run of the mill restaurants.

I have to agree about the dress sizing. Although my weight fluctuates by a few pounds, I have clothes from a size 10 to a size 16 that all fit! It's all about vanity sizing. I think it's been going on for years. About 20 years ago I liked a lot of the clothes that Wallis made and a size 10 always fitted me there but I know I was really more a 12/14. While styles make a big difference, it's also about how generous/mean different brands are with fabrics. These days I aim for a small size 12 in a good brand but I know I might have to go larger in some of the cheaper ranges. It's a bit like what we said about the boots and jeans, you just have to try things on. Sometimes two garments in the same size can vary!

I've done my usual fabbing today including body lotion and foot cream. Tonight I'm off to my occasional art appreciation class. It's close to home (about a mile) so I generally walk so wear flat shoes/boots. I'm planning to wear my knee length boots with opaques, a velvet skirt and a smart jumper unless it's very cold when I could decide to wear smart jeans instead.

Pleased to say that healthy food is back on track properly. I've left it to my DH to finish off what's left of Christmas goodies. he has his uses!:D
  • ScarlettMcCain
    Options
    Happy New Year to everyone!!

Sorry I haven't posted for ages, but I hope everyone is enjoying 2018 so far, and a big hello to the newbies :j

LL, as and when you read this, hope you're having an amazing holiday and thank you for the new thread!!

Sashy, have you tried these for DS? I have twin 2 year olds, one with a permanently streaming nose, and these work a treat. Plug it in about an hour before bedtime, keep the door closed and my goodness, it will unblock most noses:

https://www.calpol.co.uk/our-products/calpol-soothe-care-vapour-plug-and-nightlight?psid_medium=cpc&psid_source=google&psid_term=[calpol%20night%20plug%20in]&psid_content=text&psid_campaign=go-gb-eng-ps-calpol-bp-exa-rn-products

Also if your DS does eat a lot of fruit/ yogurt, you could mix baby rice into them to up his carbs if you think it might help. I did it with mine as it helped to fill their tummies up more and sleep a bit longer!

What an interesting idea about the photos maman, and a great reminder of your progress! Useful what you say about changing eating habits too, I definitely have to work on that, have cut out alcohol so far this year but there's lots of other things to change.

Thank you for the info on being 'good enough', indie and ellsbel - I've read good things about the doctor too, but nice to read personal viewpoints too.

Ah dandy-candy, we have a lot of aims in common! Now my DC are 2 I really want to make an effort to get in shape, but don't have the money to join a gym, although I would love to. I've been so ill over Christmas and New Year and still have a terrible wheezing cough, so couldn't do much exercise yet anyway, but even walking to the shops is such an effort at the moment. I've started my own 'lose 40lb at 40' challenge (I turn 41 this year) and have lost 3lb, but there's a long way to go to fit into my clothes properly and get anywhere near my pre-DC weight!

With those things in mind, my word for the year is 'confidence' - I really want to regain mine by losing weight and looking better. I've ordered some shoes and boots from Fitflop in the winter sale (and an extra discount code from being a new subscriber), if nothing else my feet will look nicer whilst I work on the rest of me :rotfl:
    Finally debt free!! March 2018 :j
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ana you are absolutely right about sizes. I believe sewing patterns are based on sizes set out in the 40/50s and if you are a shop bought size 10 today, then you will be a sewing pattern size 14! I felt inspired by your post and put on heels today - only 2" ones as I'm very out of practice and never was a fan of very high heels.

Ruby my DH has had this horrible flu too and the cough he said is the worst bit! Take it easy until you are fully better :)

Well today has been a good start. I had a shower and the put my hair in rollers which was an awful lot harder than it looked on YouTube!! I can't remember which bird makes a messy nest, but that was my head :rotfl: but when I took them out though it looked pretty good so I'm happy. I have put on make up, re applied my nail polish, and put on a new skirt I bought yesterday and my heels.

I'm not going out anywhere but I really want to get out of the mind set that if I stay in I might as well slob around in tracksuit bottoms :eek: oh a remembered perfume too!
  • Ellsbel
    Ellsbel Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Hello *dandycandy* and *anamenottaken* :).
    *Maman* I have a black longline jumper with a silver thread running through it that I’ve worn now and again on evenings out, with skinny black jeans. I don’t think it’s quite what you’re describing (hopefully:D :D) - but I know just what you mean with the clothing you’re describing; this outfit is very much a “fat uniform” for me and one I fall back on because I feel too big to wear a dress! I was planning on discarding it, like *Indie* has done with her tops, but I think I’ll hang on to it as a “threat” to myself of what happens to my dress sense when I don’t watch my weight:D
    I’ve actually ordered a dress today in two sizes below my current size! It’s in the sales - a short sleeved shift dress with pockets that I plan to wear with opaques and boots for work - I’m determined to be wearing it in a few months from now - I’ll report back when I do :)
    *sugarbaby* your meal last night sounds delicious and has my mouth watering reading about it:)
    I’m spending quite a bit of my free time lately browsing various sites and picking up style ideas for when I reach my goal weight. I’m looking forward to a complete overhaul:)
    Today I’ve had a nice long walk. I wore my favourite long woollen scarf and a hat; not particularly glam but very cosy.
    The rest of the day will be pottering at home, but I’ve put on jeans and a smart-ish thin knit top, and am wearing perfume:)
    Have a good day everyone:)
  • LuxuryWoman
    Options
    Far from fab here as the dreaded lurgy has taken hold, the house feels disgusting and germy like it need a good bleaching and I look a fright with my big red nose, lank hair and blotchy, flu-face!

When I'm all mended I'll come and read back properly, you sound a terrific bunch and I'd like to get to know everyone better and take inspiration.

I'm off to bed now for a nap. Stay fab ladies.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I met my BF for lunch today in Warrington; when we went our separate ways I went up to Ike@ and the big M&$ next door. What a jumble sale! Rail after rail of reduced clothing, lots of things that nobody wants even with 60% off. I won't be surprised to hear they had a bad Christmas period in clothing.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi all,
    maman wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you're mum is giving you a hard time sashy . I'm sure she means well but that doesn't make it any easier. :(

You're right maman she just wants to help, she just drives me mad sometimes, same with my PIL to be honest. I have to just remind myself to nod & smile and do what I want anyway as I know they mean well. Sometimes it's hard as they can be so dismissive of things they don't agree with (both my mum & PIL). My mum is generally great and has been so supportive & helpful since I had DS, just sometimes she annoys me. :p
    Sashy, have you tried these for DS? I have twin 2 year olds, one with a permanently streaming nose, and these work a treat. Plug it in about an hour before bedtime, keep the door closed and my goodness, it will unblock most noses:

https://www.calpol.co.uk/our-products/calpol-soothe-care-vapour-plug-and-nightlight psid_medium=cpc&psid_source=google&psid_term=

Also if your DS does eat a lot of fruit/ yogurt, you could mix baby rice into them to up his carbs if you think it might help. I did it with mine as it helped to fill their tummies up more and sleep a bit longer!

Thanks Ruby we got the plug in last week after my SIL recommended it but he still seems to be waking up bothered by the cold. I'm using snufflebabe on his chest and a saline spray up his nose before bed too - maybe I'm irritating his nose too much?

Baby rice is a great idea Ruby, I have a box of it sitting there as he doesn't like eating it on its own so could give that a try.

Well today I went & tried on bras in an E cup and was pretty shocked that they actually fitted a lot better than the B cup I normally wear. :eek: The 32 back feels really tight to me but I have been wearing a 36 for a good while so that might be why. I can always take them back & exchange them for a bigger back size if I need to, will try wearing them for a while and then see if they're digging in etc.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,060, Car loan 2 £10,843 . Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sashybo - For years now I have used small indie lingerie shops to buy my bras, lucky to have had a great one in Dorset for 10 years+ and then found one about an hour's drive away when I moved here. I am small back and bigger frontage and in both shops the proprietors would always put me in ones that felt tight, but they assured me that all the weight should be supported by the band and not the straps and that they would give enough with wear and washing, thankfully they were right:D

I hope that yours are comfy enough soon.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    It has been ages since I posted, part due to the lap top being on its last legs. The phone is too so; I must buy some new tech stuff. It’s amazing as you get older, I don’t see any appeal on having a fancy phone or stuff. It feels like such a waste but it is so different compared to my priorities years ago.

I really need to look after myself more this year; physically mentally and holistically. I have been really neglecting myself. My hair is terrible and looks so bad. I have hair that is in need to a decent cut. My health has not been great recurrent infections, lime like a disaster. It is not ideal as the winter has turned my skin so sensitive, irate and just flared up.
    At present I’m like a little hamster on a wheel just going and doing all the work and it is not fun. It is really stressful. So my ambition for the year is to maintain standard and have more value for myself. Recently I have been taking on too much and it is not ideal but I feel that I must.
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really useful info on bras. I had a mammogram last summer, and when the dr examined me beforehand he said it was important to have a properly fitting bra. I was in a 36C which I'd had for a few years so I went to get fitted for a new one. Turned out I needed a 36DD :eek: I had to get a wireless as the U shaped wire jumps massively from D to DD and cuts into my underarms. I'm hoping as I lose weight that my bust will get smaller so I can go back to wired bras, the wireless is comfy but doesn't give much lift, and the 3 hooks and eyes at the back drive me nuts :rotfl:

Another new jumper on today, and a skirt I found shoved in a bag that looks fine after an iron. My curls from yesterday are still holding up so just gave them a quick brush and put on make up.

I hope everyone is still fabbing ahead :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure