Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018

Options

Comments

• Cairn
    Cairn Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most definitely, but it’s not a race to the bottom.

As said, it wasn’t a criticism at all and I’m not sure I could do as well as mooloo.

I know when I’ve been in crisis and cannot see the wood for the trees it has been helpful to have things I’ve missed (and where my priorities should lie) pointed out.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2018 at 9:27AM
    Options
    Granddaughter may well be coming to a time where shes aware of here situation and how that relates to the situations of her peers at school.

My best friend in schools parents were divorced and she didnt tell me until we were about 16. She would always just say her dad worked abroad. I knew here from around 9 and she always said that. I always felt so bad that she felt she couldnt tell anyone about something so silly as the fact her parents were divorced, but 99% of the class lived with mum and dad still together.
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 20 May 2018 at 9:39AM
    Options
    ^^^ this I can relate to!
    I was the child of divorced parents when I was six and right up until the age of about 15 I think I was the only one in my class at school,in that situation.
    I grew up always different and although my mother did a great job , all children really want is to be the same as their peers.
    Fast forward forty years and my son says to- Mum it's weird, I'm the only one of my group who lives a normal,life with both parents. Can't win!
    But back to serious, never ever underestimate the destructive nature of what it's like to feel different as a child. Absolute stability in every other aspect of life is vital , I at least had that. Even now, I don't deal at all well with change.

PoorDGD must be in a constant spin with what's going on in her family circle, which is not of Moolooos making but I don't think the constant on off relationship is healthy or the notion of moving to another country, even if it's just a pipe dream.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,322 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    thorsoak wrote: »
    Sadly DGD's "normal" is more normal than a lot of people would like to accept as happening here in the UK.

This is true.
    I see this in my volunteering.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    It is what it is.
    I cannot say it thrills me either that I have tried for 14 years to be able to keep my life together and be constant. I didn't deliberately fall in love or expect that I would still not have a commitment from the man I fell in love with. Yes Dgd is aware that he is not always here, but I am not a nun and I am not going to keep apologising that my life is not perfect.
    Nobody is.
    But I certainly don't like the idea that I am perceived as damaging her.
    I am doing my best.

My dreams are not pipe dreams. Believe me. One day sooner rather than later I will manifest my dreams. First the thought. Then the plan of action. The research required, the steps followed.
    I already have the steps needed and I am working towards them on a daily basis.
    It is a matter of when not if.

You forget I am a very determined person and although I don't always get what I want, I always strive for it.

If Dgd wants to be a marine biologist and swim with dolphins then there is no reason why she can't if she puts her mind to it.
    If she changes her mind then so be it.
    She will grow up and leave home one day.
    Her time and mine will come.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Would love that post Mooloo if I could.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Time to stop watching the wedding , playing on here.
    Time to make a coat for a customer
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Wedding was fab.
    Did you like her dress?

• Savvy_sewing
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Wedding was fab.
    Did you like her dress?

Simple and understated love it. Not sure if I would have wanted such a veil though
  • Cairn
    Cairn Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I loved the wedding! Didn!!!8217;t expect to cry...

Mooloo - I don!!!8217;t for a second think that you are damaging her quite the opposite in fact especially as she could have also been taken into care. My comments were to be mindful as to how she might be feeling/thinking.

In any case, I hope you are finding enjoyment in today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure