Forum Home » Debt-Free Wannabe » Debt Free Diaries

2018 New year, new focus and new mission - Page 23

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

2018 New year, new focus and new mission

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
545 replies 30.5K views

Replies

• Choccygirl123Choccygirl123 Forumite
    794 posts
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you wannabe free - we've been clearing it and adding to the debt, but I do seem to concentrate on the magic number....how much we owe. I cried when I realised it was only a teeny bit lower. Hubby said I'm too hard on us as we need to live as well and the house repairs were unavoidable. This will be a lot better and I'm going aim for £7500 off the total!

Direct debits for 2 zopa loans have left our account and trying to make overpayments when I can. I've added the extra £2.70 abd went it to credit card so we've paid off a lovely round £400 so far in 2019.

Zopa 1 - £197.50
    Zopa 2 - £99.80
    Cc 0% - £102.70 (min payment was £79.23)
  • teafor2teafor2 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Choccygirl. Hope you've had a good day. Your husband is right, you are being too hard on yourself and life is short - take it from one who may well have not made it past NY Day 2013 :( Life is for living, but there also has to be a sensible side to us as well. It's getting the balance right that's the tricky bit..... but we have pretty charts now so all is well :rotfl: xx
    794 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Oh blimey tea, that doesn't sound good but I'm pleased you're here keeping me company (and kicking up the rear)

I've not found a chart I like yet as seem to keep getting in Pinterest on random stuff.

I've had such a lazy day and have done nothing but rest. Feeling so run down and bit fed up because of it. Tomorrow a new day abd I'm going to do some decluttering in the spare room.

Money wise next lot if direct debits are due to go tomorrow and I'm quite chuffed at the balances today. I've sent £35 off a school trip and tempted to send another £25 off credit card. Think I need to be patient and see in a fortnight or so. Hubby just bought bread out of his pocket change so very low spend.

Had quick look through my diary and feel better for posting daily. It's keeping me motivated and certainly helping in a cathartic way.

My sealed pot challenge is going well and I've stopped counting totals now. I've got £30 on it's way from surveys which will go into my sealed pot bank account. Next Christmas will be the most organised yet!
  • WannabeFreeWannabeFree Forumite
    4.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully after a good nights sleep you will feel better tomorrow.

Don't be too hard on yourself

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • AaleighaAaleigha Forumite
    594 posts
    Happy new year just caught up

I know all your direct debits come out at beginning of the month but do you withdraw monthly food money etc and use cash only

I find I spend far less handing over the physical cash as it makes me think for X do I really need to buy it today and break into that note or can it wait till later in the week
    Often I don't get it and wait so saving the rest of the note from being frittered

Got yourself any hobbies you can do while you are in so much pain I often find doing ing something helps me feel better
    Start a craft and use the things you make towards simple Christmas presents in a way they are free as you have done them anyway simple knitted hats are good

Well done with finances since Christmas a tight few months coming up, when he is back on full wages it will seem like a lottery win x
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE # 100
    pot 1 (unknown starting amount) £18 Pot 2 £10
    total £22.50
    EMERGENCY FUND
    £40/1000 plus some in my bank £138 total 178/1000
    DECLUTTER. 183/2019
  • teafor2teafor2 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always find after an eventful time like Christmas or holidays I'm extra tired. I think we run on adrenaline to get through things and afterwards our body needs to play catch up. Best thing to do is go with the flow although trust me, I know how frustrating it can be when the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

It is tempting to pay more off debt but holding out for a while to make sure you're not leaving yourself short is sensible. Much better than having to dip into savings, the OD or the dreaded CC ;)
    794 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your kind words. I do feel brighter in myself after a brilliant nights sleep. I was out cold until 10. I've had a lovely cup of tea and I'm still in bed catching up on banking. I've been looking at needle felting so might treat myself to a starter kit.

It's random time of the month as currently waiting on rental income to arrive and 2nd mortgage go out. Doing my sums we will have £679.30 once dust of transactions completed.

Today should be a nsd and we're having a bit of a blitz today catching up with jobs, changing the bedding etc after nipping to see friends. They moved just before Christmas so I'm looking forward to seeing new house. The old me would normally spend £15 on flowers or a plant, but the new me is going to regift some wine. I'm sure I've got a new house card in card box or a blank one to keep spend at zero.

I'm going to finish my lie in, work out budget for rest of spends and then have a nice shower. I love this slow start and I'm feeling the benefit pain wise. Hubby keeps telling me to slow down, so I think I need to listen.
    794 posts
    ✭✭✭
    So 3rd day of 2019 and despite hubby low wages and my sick pay I feel in control! I'm in shock but everything seems in hand and covered. The EF is sat there just in case we need it, but hoping we don't.

Budget for rest of month (£679.30)

£100 - my money (reduced this month covers everything clothes shoes etc normally would g bother but have a deal with tea that is my money and I won't use for family things as hubby never does. I desperately need new jeans due to weight loss.

£100 - fuel hoping won't be as much but best to budget higher

£200 - food 3 x big weekly shops £60 and £20 top ups. Going to rely heavily of store food

£56 - 2 x visits cleaner (to do jobs I can't manage)

£50 - balance of youngest school trip in July

£40 - mot for my old car fingers crossed it sails through. It did have a lot of work done last year.

Total £546 / £679.30

My car neeeds a service, but not sure the costs, so will garage to find out.
  • WannabeFreeWannabeFree Forumite
    4.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very organised :)

Well done I'm sure you'll smash it!

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
    794 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks wannabe. I really hope so. I'm looking forward to getting back to work but think that's a long way off.

X