PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 - No Clutter To Be Seen

Options

Comments

• noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    noelphobic wrote: »
    1) postcard from Alzheimer's Society thanking me for my help at an event last year - in recycling bin.

Got to start somewhere!

Was hoping to go to Marks today and put some clothing in the Shwop bin but they're closed.

2) Yankee candle, used up

Resisting the temptation to keep the glass jar it came in. I've got plenty of others.

The candle was a present and candles are on my list of things not to buy, which also includes stationery, pyjamas, underwear and socks, as I have more than enough.

I've got a few items of clothing in a bag which will go in the car and be donated to wherever I happen to be passing. I'll count them when they've gone.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • pixiedust09
    Options
    Today has been exhausting, made a big dent in decluttering my bursting at the seams house, whilst listening to Marie Kondo on audible.

122 Books 48 of which I’ve boxed up for Ziffit which should earn me about £60
    2 skirts
    2 soft toys
    2 handbags
    2 hats
    1 pair ugg type boots
    7 jumpers
    1 purse
    1 poncho
    2 swim tops
    13 tops (all to CS)
    1 heavy duty bin bag of paper
    11 plastic folders
    1 SW binder
    1 WW binder
    1 plastic bag
    1 old diary
    1 broken hair dryer
    3 Tilda dolls
    1 make up bag
    2 jumpers
    1 vest top
    4 pairs jeans
    Total today 183 items
    Running total 196 :o:eek:
    MFW 142- Oct 1999 £55,0000, Jul 2013 £27,593.17 Oct 2013 £26,531, Dec 2014 £22,600, Dec 2015 £20,190, Jan 2016 £19,944.19 Mar 2017 £16,944.76 Decluttered 207/2018
    Smile it confuses people :)
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 January 2018 at 12:07AM
    Options
    Aaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddd we're off:

I drove to local tip yesterday with stuff to drop off there.It's website said it would be open on new years day,but it wasn't.The charity shop I had stuff for,also wasn't open (I didn't really expect it to be,but knew I would be driving past,so had donations in the car).
    So everything came back home.

Today,stuff has been taken to tip and charity shop (though I got home and found I had left one bag in the car :o).

For those readers who don't know,I keep separate tallies for house and loft declutter.

So,out of the house today:

To local charity shop:
    1-8:My Little Ponies figures
    9:Christmasaurus book
    10:marble run toy
    11:girl's showerproof coat
    12:Anxious The Elephant teddy from Haven holiday.Gave up trying to look for her dress,so she has gone out naked :o :rotfl:
    13:remote control dog
    14:child's necklace
    15:tealight holder
    16: Opera Cd,free from newspaper
    17:Norton disc
    18:"My Pet" set
    19:bouncy ball
    20:box of 3 Frozen jigsaw puzzles
    21:pair of socks

To the Tip:
    22:Shimmer and Sparkle frame/loom
    23:wooden jewellery box,2 pieces
    24:pretty storage box for paper and envelopes(only had 2 of the 3 drawers in it)
    25:cardboard music/jewellery box
    26:Science Museum money protection unit,battery operated
    27-30:4 plastic odd bods
    31:cheap plastic sunglasses,probably used for dressing up at some stage
    32:pieces of a foam bath toy eldest daughter (now 15 !!) used to play with when she was little.I held onto it for so long,but now I ask myself "why?"
    33-34:2 kid's drink bottles-outgrown a long time ago
    35-36:kid's plastic jewellery tree,broken

Also to the tip,partner has decluttered from his mancave (a work in progress for about the last month):
    37:old piece of boiler insulation
    38-39:2 halves of a door.I know,I know.......:o
    40-41:2 bits of leftover flooring

And,just for the heck of it,I am going to list the contents of the bag I forgot to drop off this afternoon. (I don't really like listing on here until the items have actually left my life,but today I am making an exception,since this is the second day in a row I have tried to get these things out of my life........
    42:great big bouncy ball with smiley face on
    43:another bouncy ball
    44:canvas bag
    45:leopardskin handbag
    46:kid's imitation leather jacket
    47:Higear small pink backpack
    48-50:Sponge Bob books
    51:The Boy in The Dress book
    52:Top Trumps game
    53:box of 4 My First Words books

And finally,given to a neighbour last night,
    54:a bicycle helmet my kids had grown out of

And from the loft (though they have been sitting in my front room for a long time while I procrastinate:could I fix this,would charity take it,but that was a favourite toy......) to the tip:
    1-4:2 remote control toys and their controllers
    5-6:domino tin and 27 dominoes.Have spent sooooooooooooooooo many months thinking theONE missing domino would show up,then I could donate this lovely set.Then it reached the point where it was using too much of my energy worrying about it.So,all gone
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• 2018saver
    2018saver Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Arrived back from Christmas travels today so a token amount to start me off. 2 broken decorations and 1 pack of useless wipes all in to the bin. Also some cardboard from presents has been put in the recycling. Hoping to get on much better over the next few days!!

4/2018
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    noelphobic wrote: »
    2) Yankee candle, used up

Resisting the temptation to keep the glass jar it came in. I've got plenty of others.

The candle was a present and candles are on my list of things not to buy, which also includes stationery, pyjamas, underwear and socks, as I have more than enough.

I've got a few items of clothing in a bag which will go in the car and be donated to wherever I happen to be passing. I'll count them when they've gone.

3) trousers
    4/5) tops

Above to charity shop

Normally when I take a bag of clothes to a charity shop I start a new one. However, my clothes are currently fairly well organised and not causing too much clutter, plus I have got rid of a lot, due to losing weight :j

My summer clothes are in a suitcase and the rest are in two wardrobes and two chests of drawers. Still far too many but I'm not treating them as a priority, as they are currently well organised.

I have started another charity shop bag with some books and a few other odds and ends and will count them when they're gone. I've put all my Xmas cards, apart from the one from my son, in the car boot and will take them to one of the shops that has recycling facilities for them.

6/7 out of date debit and credit cards, in bin

Annoyingly, I can't find one of my current credit cards. I bought 3 tops on it before Xmas and want to return them.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • Brienne_of_Tarth
    Options
    Oh Yankee candles..... my nemesis. I have far too many....

Considering selling the lot. Probably got around 60-70.....

Blimey.... :(:(:eek:
    Debt free January 2019.

Now working on the mortgage! :beer:
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've started my clear out and have started listing things on Ebay, I've listed about 8 items on there today.

The problem is getting things out of cupboards to list on Ebay makes more clutter than before :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Whatshername
    Options
    Hi All,
    I’d like to join you all if that’s ok? I have quite a lot to declutter but shall be trying to sell where I can first. Have made a good start over the Xmas break and have a nice collection of clothes for sale on eBay/ Spock etc and a number of bags of rubbish to the skip. Have a couple of bags of clothes for recycling but waiting to sort some more before taking to the cash for clothes.

Will also be taking items to car boot to attempt to sell before taking to skip to hopefully help towards paying off my CC through another challenge by Xmas 2018. Looking forward to the motivation the thread will give to declutter and sort a little each day.
    #030 Sealed Pot 2019 Challenge - Declare 31st Oct
    #064 Pay debts by Xmas 2019 Challenge - £3390/ £3390 :money:
    #015 £2 savers club 2019 - target £200
  • Sa1sysoo
    Sa1sysoo Posts: 297 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Had an embarrassing moment there. I hadn't subscribed to the thread - yes, the one I set up - so thought I may have been doing this challenge on my own! :o:D

A belated welcome to all participants :wave:

And a massive well done to those of you that have made a start already :T
    OH OD - £100.00/£100.00 Joint OD - £100.00/£100.00StepChange: £10,057.67
  • galadriel
    galadriel Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    Yesterday I started to clear some rubbish/paper clutter
    10) carrier bag full of packaging from small bedroom left by grandchildren on Christmas Day
    11) carrier bag of paper from my bedroom
    12) remains of an out of date bottle of cider vinegar - poured in washer when washing mophead
    13) carrier bag of paper from living room
    14) old pair of slippers - now wearing nice new ones.

I now have loads of stuff to file away and loads to shred. All bins, both recycling and rubbish are full so will probably look for some stuff for a charity collection today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure