We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

2018 Benbenandme's Next Battle

Options

Comments

• Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I've been spending some time thinking about my money making; it's going okay, it pootles along, I make regular amounts from Swagbucks / surveys and every now and then the odd thing comes along that bumps it up a bit, but overall it isn't going to set the world alight.

So, having done some research I think I've finally settled on what I'm going to do; reselling on ebay. There are a few strands to this ...

1.I'm going to set up a blog to track how it's going, what sells etc - it will be trial and error mainly. Ideally after time if I have enough followers I can make money here via ads.

2. Youtube - there are loads of videos on there of the hauls people have bought at car boot sales / charity shops and most have 3000+ views. This would mean I could then earn via ads on there too.

3. The actual selling - I will buy stuff from car boot sales in the summer months and rely on charity shops etc in the winter.

It is all still in its infancy, although I have done a few bits and bobs to get going; I've started an ebay business account to keep it separate from my personal account, I've got a new email address, again just for this and I have upgraded my paypal account.

I now need to start the blog and youtube channel - a huge learning curve ahead for me as I've never done anything like this before but it feels like an exciting new hobby :D:D

I have given myself a budget of £100 to start with (borrowed from my savings account), yesterday I ordered some grey mailing bags from ebay (£5) and also hit some charity shops where I spent about £50. This will be very much trial and error at first to see what sells and for how much. I have watched quite a few of the videos on youtube to get an idea but charity shops don't tend to have much in the way of Lego / Nike trainers :D

For now I've stuck to what I know has worked for me before, clothing items from certain brands. Whether there's room for profit in them at charity shop prices remains to be seen.

My haul from yesterday includes:
    • Joseph jacket £5
    • Hobbs shrug £4
    • Coast shrug £5
    • White Stuff jumpers x 2 £5 each
    • White Stuff skirt £6
    • Roxy dress £1
    • Next maxi dress £1
    • Phase Eight evening top £4
    • Autograph dress £3.75
    • 2 x board games sealed in boxes £5 & £3

Today I want to get my spreadsheet sorted out to track what I paid, what items sell for and fees/postage etc so I can track profits. I'm already registered as self-employed so that bits taken care of :)

I don't expect this to make me £££'s overnight, but if I can get a steady trickle coming in over time I'll be happy :D Let's see how this project goes :D:D

Will follow your progress as this is something I'm interested in doing to boost my part time job. I do sell on EBay but just my own stuff at the moment. Good luck
  • benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Grrr ... since I moved house I am bombarded with junk mail / cold callers. I have bought a big sticker and put it on the door and just now a lady delivered yet another local 'magazine' which is basically an A5 booklet of adverts for local businesses. We get two different versions of this every week, and every time they go straight in the bin.

As I happened to be in today when she delivered it I opened the door, pointed at the sign, and gave it straight back to her :D She said "it isn't junk mail" :eek: I replied, "of course it is, it isn't addressed mail and I don't want it, so please don't keep delivering to me".

She then told me that she would have to tell the company and get me taken off the database and that she would need to write down my address ... I said 'no problem'. She then asked me to provide paper and a pen for her :rotfl: At this point I was getting irritated, so said no, you've already disturbed me by delivering something when the sign clearly asks you not to, I'm not getting you stuff too.

She replied that she doesn't always deliver here and that others will probably carry on delivering it anyway :cool: Grrr!!!
    Mortgage Total: £55,126 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £3361
  • benbenandme
    Options
    And now Virgin Media have just knocked on the door ... I pointed to the sign on the door and he said "that normally only applies to double glazing salesmen" ... why can't people read!!! :mad: :mad:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    So blooming annoying :mad:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I look out the window now before answering the door, if I don't know them or aren't expecting anyone then I don't answer it. Even if they can see me checking to see who the are. I really hate cold callers.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • benbenandme
    Options
    Morning all, up early here today, ds has had his bath, made his breakfast and almost completed his Maths homework, then is off to work in about ten minutes.

I have tidied the lounge, put away some clean washing, emptied the dishwasher, put the washing machine on and cleaned up a couple of pairs of ds old trainers ready to go on ebay.

Hopefully today I might get my first bid on my ebay items, other than that I don't have much planned, maybe some school work.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy Wednesday :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • benbenandme
    Options
    And I have my first bid, £6.99 :j :j :j
  • benbenandme
    Options
    The same item now has a second bid, up to £7.49. It is a lovely item and the only one i ummed and aahed about selling and nearly kept for myself, but decided this will never work if I do that :D
  • Blackcatsreturns
    Options
    Benben - sounds like a really good plan and I'm sure you will make a success of it. I'm in awe of your money making sidelines and your saving discipline.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure