NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived

Options

Comments

• x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Happy New Year all._party_

Popped to Dunlem today for new front room curtains, a bedside lamp and a kitchen bin (
    we had a pedal bin, and we've now got one of those 'touch to open' ones. We haven't got out of the habit of trying to step on the pedal thou!). It's all stuff we've been holding off for ages to get, definately needed, and not a sales spending spree!
    Still counting today as a NSD as it was all bought with xmas money from my dad :D even had £1.36 change to put into my savings. The only other thing I bought was an xmas present for next year (getting in early :rotfl:) but that comes out of my Gift pot.
    Janus - 12 Months - Target to repay Mum. £67.38 in the pot. £100 DD was due to come out today, but Bank hols has delayed it til tomorrow, still counting it. So £167.38 / £3000

Activity. Crochet & keep active.
    A bit of crochet done this evening. I've finished one ball of wool, need to pop upstairs for another.
    Walked to the shop & back rather than taking the car.

Non-negotiables:
    -[STRIKE]18[/STRIKE] 25 NSDs 1/25
    -£5 to foodbank / charity I'm planning on getting some extra dogfood for the dogs home donation bin.

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]
    Good start. Did my crochet, sax practice, no junk food, extra 3 hours work (extra pay will go towards debt) All boxes ticked so far.

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... On it!

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. Lunchtime soup made from the last of the xmas stilton & a lonely potato. The last 6 sprouts used up with dinner.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.
    No junk eaten today, getting BF to take some 'before' photos later tonight. I took monthly photos last year, and it's great motivation to slowly see the fat melt.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra an you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove.
    Surveys cashed in today. Extra hours worked. It's BFs turn to buy the groceries this month, so I will put all my allocated grocery budget into mums repayment.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • Shelbi
    Shelbi Posts: 744 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Can I please join, I dropped off the last one...new year fresh start..I need to keep up momentum! Thank you...Shelbi x
    DFD-01.03.2018:starmod: :beer::T
    Maternity Savings- £2000/£10,000
    Emergency Fund- £1,000/£5,000
    House Deposit- £0/£25,000.
    NSD November 2/30
    Make £5 per day- £128.48/£155
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, Happy New Year, my pledges for the month are as follows:-

Janus - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? I will have saved £1000 in an emergency fund; I will have paid £5000 off my debt and will have functioning savings pots for holidays, animals and house repairs/renewals.

5 years? I will have a new kitchen and I will have replastered and decorated my bedroom (it last had a touch up 7.5 years ago and needs doing now but I can live with it). I will have no debt :)

10 years? I will have no debt, and possibly no mortgage and hopefully I will have finished my teaching career and be working in a stress free job.

Activity. I will walk the dogs every evening (they already get a long run every day) and I will go back to slimming world and stay to group.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs
    - £120 food, £180 social/presents/birthdays etc, £80 petrol
    -£5 to foodbank / charity – already do £30+ split amongst several charities
    -pay money to your debts FIRST – my credit card had crept up to £754 this month! It should be £0. I have rejigged budgets, sold on eBay etc and have raised the £754
    J
    -meal plan – already batch cooked a freezer full of food
    J

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. – Some regifting already done
    J I also used Christmas vouchers to buy a birthday present for this month. I am also doing a challenge with my family to reduce our waste and recycle more this year.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. This is probably my biggest challenge. I find my job extremely stressful and all consuming. I go back in two days and am already dreading it.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: how much extra an you earn / save off your food shop / move / remove. I want to try and save/make an extra £50 this month. Since tutoring has been banned by our head, I can’t use this to make extra money but I will try and sell a few things on eBay and save money from my budgets. My best friend is about to have a baby and lives in London, so I would like to visit her after the baby is born and will need to find the money for this within existing budgets or from extra money made.

Good luck everyone :)
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 1 January 2018 at 10:02PM
    Options
    Happy New Year turtles :D

12 months - credit card debt paid off, finish the little bits in the flat that need done, £1000 emergency fund
    5 years - debt free, ?children, savings towards a deposit
    10 years - own home, savings towards retirement

Activities - getting back into going to the gym/running, reading

Non-negotiables
    18 NSDs - first 1 today :D
    Budget - done and debt payment made
    £5 - will put items in the food bank box next time I'm in the supermarket
    Meal plan - done for this week

Stretch
    I'm aiming to pay £200 off the debt in January, paid £97.57 today so £102.43 to find, stretch target is £250
    Emergency fund is currently sitting at £25/£1000. Ideally I'd like this to be at £100 by the end of the month, stretch £150.
    I'm also going to set a target of making £150 extra income this month from 2nd job and surveys, stretch £200
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1437.01/£1500 (95.8% saved).
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NSD achieved today 1/18
    Walked around the park and walked back from my friend's place this evening.
    Went round friend's place for dinner and chill out time. Was there for about 8 hours. Had a nice time.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • ilovetea
    ilovetea Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone.
    Haven't got this months challenge sorted yet But to day is my first NSD.
    Pleased as I've had so many e mails about sales.I didn't even open them!

Hope we all have a happy and healthy year.

ilovetea xx
    Make £2024 in 2024 £1161.08
    Declutter 2024 things in 2024 1024 /2024.
    NSD's in Feb Target 20. So far 21/20.
    NSD's in Mar. Target 20. So far 21/20
    NSD's in April Target 20.. So far 22/20
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 1 January 2018 at 11:01PM
    Options
    Janusa time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 12 months: debt free (exc BTL mtge) A decent no of jobs completed from our 'to do' list for the house (some are small, some are big/ long term/ expensive) Fitter. Hopefully with 2 children at uni. Pensions sorted.
    No action taken towards this today

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect an old one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving. - Re-start Zumba. Not today!

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) Not one today
    -your budgets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    Food - 7.81/£400
    Fuel - £65
    Toiletries - £10
    Household - £20
    Clothes - £60
    Social - £100 (includes takeaway for DS2's bday)
    Gifts - £50
    -£5 to foodbank / charity - Direct debit to charity set up
    -pay money to your debts FIRST - day to day CCs paid off in full
    -meal plan - I don't do this. OH hates meal planning

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... -ok
    Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. ok! Lots of recycling done today of last night's empties...:o Leftovers for dinner (reducing food waste)

Stretch challenge - aim to get extra money of £50. Aim to declutter 50 items.
    Have joined pay off all your debts by Xmas 2018, MFW 2018 (looking to OP £4k on BTL mtge), Declutter in 2018 (aiming for 2018 items!:eek:) Relisted 7 items on fleabay

something Joyful in Jan - long family game of Monopoly played today with all 6 of us, which was good fun, even if I am seriously overtired (less than 5 hours sleep)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SFD number 1 achieved today :)
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    first NSD of the year though it'll mean milk shortages tomorrow. tomorrow i will use divi cash on my co op card to fund bread and milk. nowt else is needed.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • 1SmallStep
    Options
    Just checking in with a NSD and a active day - run, swim and walk! Phone playing up so excuse brevity...but budgets set, annoying list of financial jobs to do identified, and all is looking good!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure