All Basic Accounts Will Be Affected Sooner Or Later

Options

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,815 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 December 2017 at 4:43AM
    Options
    It was probably all in the updated t & cs the Halifax sent out for various account types (in my case several times) a couple of months ago. Unfortunately many people seem to think these are sent out to fill their recycling bins. Whilst I do not have one of these basic accounts I did notice the new exclusions in the t & cs. But then I am a little anal & tend to read at least the bits that they say are changes.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 December 2017 at 7:11PM
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    I think as it’s ALL basic account holders the Halifax don’t have to publish card numbers.

Also, as we only have the OP’s (slightly sensationalised) account we don’t actually know whether Halifax sent out notice of the change,

They issue the same type of cards on some standard current accounts, that's why they specify by MPAN.

LBG should still put it in the T&Cs like RBS/NatWest do - otherwise you'd rightfully expect the card to work anywhere the logo on the card is displayed.

As for the change to T&Cs, they are on the website and normally highlight any major changes in the summary element.
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    Mods - can you move this thread to the 'Always someone elses fault' part of the forum please?
  • PROLIANT
    PROLIANT Posts: 6,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You see the problem here is "Social Justice Warriors" and their deluded views on entitlement.
    The banks gave people a facility previously not available and then subsequently the users if the facility took the pesh, plain and simple so as a previous poster stated they have closed the loophole as people can't be trusted to act consciously and responsibly.
    Yes mistakes can happen, an oops moment but this is far beyond that and the banks have said enough is enough - protect people from themselves!
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    It was probably all in the updated t & cs the Halifax sent out for various account types (in my case several times) a couple of months ago. Unfortunately many people seem to think these are sent out to fill their recycling bins. Whilst I do not have one of these basic accounts I did notice the new exclusions in the t & cs. But then I am a little anal & tend to read at least the bits that they say are changes.

that's not anal, that's just common sense...
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 December 2017 at 2:51PM
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    They issue the same type of cards on some standard current accounts, that's why they specify by MPAN.

LBG should still put it in the T&Cs like RBS/NatWest do - otherwise you'd rightfully expect the card to work anywhere the logo on the card is displayed.

As for the change to T&Cs, they are on the website and normally highlight any major changes in the summary element.

Tesco bank do this aswell advise customers of the difference between card types by identify the BINS that wont work in an offline situation.

https://yourcommunity.tescobank.com/t5/Current-Accounts/Why-do-I-have-a-different-type-of-contactless-debit-card/ta-p/668
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Littlebigmoose
    Options
    I support the banks to be honest. Speaking as someone who has a basic bank account and have previously gone overdrawn using p@p.
    #7... 3 - 6 month Emergency Fund Challenge (part 2)
    #25... 2024 Cash Envelope (or online) Saving Challenge

• tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe people should take some personal responsibility.

Why allow your petrol to get so low that you can't drive to another petrol station?

Why not keep a full 5l can in the boot if you're going to chance running on fumes?

Why not fill up when your petrol light comes on and you have 50+ miles left in the tank
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    tastyhog wrote: »
    Maybe people should take some personal responsibility.

Why allow your petrol to get so low that you can't drive to another petrol station?

Why not keep a full 5l can in the boot if you're going to chance running on fumes?

Why not fill up when your petrol light comes on and you have 50+ miles left in the tank
    Because then they'd have nothing to rant about on a forum, about how terrible the banks are against poor people, and how "there were children in the car". It seems easier nowadays to blame every problem on other people or organisations than to take responsibility for things ourselves.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    Having cash does not help if there was a cashier available to take his cash then he could pay with his debit card the problem occurs when the cashier is closed and the only way you can pay for fuel is via pay at pump

Then I am fortunate in my choice of regular filling station, which is a very large, 24/7 multi-pump Spar/Subway/Greggs/Costa station. There are NO PaP facilities, but an outside ATM.

I also (as has been said here by another) make sure that I never allow my fuel tank to go much below 100 Miles of diesel.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family