Up for a laugh? A 23 year old's guide on how (not) to be mortgage free

Options

Comments

• Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks bugslet :). We're aiming to hit £124,000 on the mortgage by August when our deal comes to an end, as this will take us under 70% LTV and open up a whole host of better rates. It's going to be tight, but it's not impossible based on some back-of-fag-packet calculations :think:

Yesterday wasn't an NSD, but have attempted to downshift the cat to ASDA's own brand food (cheeky cat is normally on Whiskas - very rude of her!). Turns out ASDA's food is her new favourite thing, and comes in 3/4 of the price of the branded product. Every little helps!

Tonight we're off to OH parents for a takeaway. I've been re-assured that it's their treat , so today should be an NSD - here's hoping I've not been led up the garden path as I can't resist a decent curry ;)

Happy Friday y'all
  • Blibble
    Options
    Woop, it's Saturday, and I for one am extremely glad for that. :beer:

I've racked up 6 and a half hours overtime at work since coming back on Tuesday, and am feeling absolutely shattered as a result. As a student, going to bed at midnight was early; this week I've been in bed between 9 and 9:30. Must be getting old! :D

Weekly shop is done, and it's a respectable effort around £17 for the week (although we do have 3 meals in already). Very happy with that! And more MSE'ing complete by taking the Christmas tree up the tip ourselves, rather than paying someone to do it. Squishing an 8ft tree in the back of a Peugeot 206 is not recommended. :p
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Our fluffball likes the ASDA Tiger stuff too, and it is so much cheaper. :D Or at least the wet stuff. She eats the dry but I get a vague look of betrayal every time it goes into her bowl, so will shift back to another brand when this is gone.

Hope the curry was good. :D
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another vote for the Asia cat food- Our kittens quite like the Tiger wet meat too, but are snobs about the dry. Always worth trying them on the cheaper brands and seeing their preferences :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Blibble
    Options
    Fluffball over here isn't fussy at all - she prefers left over chilli con carne & pasta arrabiata to her actual food! Need to get her some dry food shortly (thought we were well stocked, but clearly not) - as she's a bit older we get her GoCat Crunchy and Tender which goes down very well. She seems to struggle with anything else, we think because she's getting on a bit, so likely won't downshift on that.

Today should be an NSD - busy day ahead with cleaning the car inside and out (pine needles everywhere after yesterday!), tidying the garage, going for a long Sunday walk, and doing the garden if I can be bothered. Which is unlikely as it's still getting dark by 5!

Happy Sunday everyone :j
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    I dug up my 'prairie patch' yesterday, my mini homage to Piet Oudolf the Dutch gardener. I was grateful when it go too dark to do much more:o.

My dogs like chicken - but they are not going to eat better than me!:rotfl:
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,180 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you got Lidl or Aldi in the frozen north? I used to do all my shopping in Asda, but I’m a complete convert. I alternate between the two to have a nosey at their ‘specials’ and it’s much cheaper than Asda, and at least as good quality, much better in a lot of cases.
    I’m a proper soft southerner now, but I was born in Cumbria, many moons ago, still visit relatives often. I’ll wave when I’m up!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • bugslet
    Options
    Misslayed wrote: »
    Have you got Lidl or Aldi in the frozen north? I used to do all my shopping in Asda, but I’m a complete convert. I alternate between the two to have a nosey at their ‘specials’ and it’s much cheaper than Asda, and at least as good quality, much better in a lot of cases.
    I’m a proper soft southerner now, but I was born in Cumbria, many moons ago, still visit relatives often. I’ll wave when I’m up!

Ay lass, we have Aldi and Lidls up in't North.

I'm sorry you had to leave the North:(, I realise it wasn't by choice:p:rotfl:). We'll have you back you know, just have to present your doctors letter to confirm mental fitness at the border, aka Watford Gap:D
  • Blibble
    Options
    Awww come on now, the border's nearer Coventy (that may be the latent southerner in me talking!).

We do have Aldi & Lidl oop nort'; Aldi is nearer to us than ASDA, however Lidl is quite a trek. Sometimes we'll stop off there on the way to OH's parents, but generally it's Aldi for us.

The fluffball has now been downshifted to Sainsbury's own brand dry food (had to go SBs due to Sunday opening hours and not being bothered to drive to Aldi!) - surprised by how well it's gone down! And it was 1/4 price per 100g of the GoCat one. Result :D

Off out tonight with OH, best friend and his partner to the pub. Here's hoping I can keep within the remaining £10 social budget before it renews tomorrow :eek:

Misslayed - you're welcome back up here any time you like. If you want to bring some southern weather with you, that'd be ace. I was tempted to wear 3 jumpers today!
  • bugslet
    Options
    I'm thinking if it gets any colder, I might put a cardi on.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business