Up for a laugh? A 23 year old's guide on how (not) to be mortgage free

Options

Comments

• Lauralou79
    Options
    Interesting diary. Well done to both of you for being so sensible and financially savvy at a young age. I’ve only become wiser In the last 5 years or so. Better late than never!
    I’m only 6 months into a 5 year fix new mortgage and just startling to overpay. We do need savings too to help mould the house into what we want over the next few years.
    The pension point is interesting though, never thought of adding as both of us have been in pension schemes with NHS/council for over 12 years. at 38 I am keen to get the mortgage (and interest) paid off well before the 25 year term.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Lauralou79 wrote: »
    Interesting diary. Well done to both of you for being so sensible and financially savvy at a young age. I’ve only become wiser In the last 5 years or so. Better late than never!
    I’m only 6 months into a 5 year fix new mortgage and just startling to overpay. We do need savings too to help mould the house into what we want over the next few years.
    The pension point is interesting though, never thought of adding as both of us have been in pension schemes with NHS/council for over 12 years. at 38 I am keen to get the mortgage (and interest) paid off well before the 25 year term.

You could ask on the pensions board for their thoughts, some very knowledgeable people over there.

Of course they prioritise pension over mortgage repayments, but they explain why. It will probably make for interesting reading even if you decide that you prefer to overpay the mortgage.

Being a complete ditherer, I've done a bit of both.
  • Lauralou79
    Options
    Thanks bugslet. It’s all about balance for me. I want to enjoy my life now ( I’m
    not extravagant) with one eye on the future. I don’t want to be working full time in a physical job like now to pay off a mortgage while In my 60s.
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 9 January 2018 at 8:24PM
    Options
    The posts earlier on in the diary did get me thinking about pensions - it's worth noting that the rate I'd get back on the pension would far outstrip that of paying off the mortgage early. It does depend on your circumstances though; job security, savings, career prospects etc. Certainly worth considering though!

Evening up the pub didn't happen last night as friend's partner was unwell, but that's fine because tonight's another evening up the pub! Starting to feel like I'm spending too much time there. I've managed to roll the social budget over another week though, so £10 more to the OP fund this evening. 17 days til payday :rotfl:
  • BlibbleOH
    Options
    Hello all,

Firstly I just want to say how lovely everyone here is! I use reddit usually so it's refreshing to see a community where people seem so kind and interested in each other's welfare.

While I'm unlikely to post here again, but I feel Blibble's mention of the in-wash scent boosters can't go unanswered:

Blibble, my dear, maybe I'd have noticed the lack of lenor if you actually did the washing with any kind of regularity. On balance, I think I can cope with one load in ten being unfragranced ;)

I shall now ensure I use twice the usual amount of them every time I do a wash. That'll scupper you. (insert evil laugh here).

Thanks again for your kind advice everyone. It's been a pleasure to read. :) Happy New year to you all!
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BlibbleOH wrote: »
    Hello all,

Firstly I just want to say how lovely everyone here is! I use reddit usually so it's refreshing to see a community where people seem so kind and interested in each other's welfare.

While I'm unlikely to post here again, but I feel Blibble's mention of the in-wash scent boosters can't go unanswered:

Blibble, my dear, maybe I'd have noticed the lack of lenor if you actually did the washing with any kind of regularity. On balance, I think I can cope with one load in ten being unfragranced ;)

I shall now ensure I use twice the usual amount of them every time I do a wash. That'll scupper you. (insert evil laugh here).

Thanks again for your kind advice everyone. It's been a pleasure to read. :) Happy New year to you all!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::T. Hello blibbleoh
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Blibble
    Options
    Quick update - overtime forms are due in today for payment at the end of the month. It's always a good sign when you need more than one form to be signed off as you've done so much :eek: Looking at about 16 hours since Christmas pay-day, which as I've had 2 days holiday and there's been bank holidays too is quite good - should work out around £145 come pay day on the 26th.

Shopping is due tomorrow so new week's budget will come in - clinging on to this week's with £5 remaining which will get overpaid. Not much other income this week though; very dry on the survey front. I found some old university textbooks when clearing out the car though, and have a few other bits and bobs to list at the weekend for some dolla.

We've got a friend coming over tomorrow evening, so will need to buy some drinks in the weekly shop tomorrow. Still, cheaper than going for a night out in town :T so I suppose that's vaguely positive (maybe if I keep telling myself that I'll believe it?!)

And yes, that was my OH above. S'pose that's what I get for not putting scent boosters in the laundry. :D
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    My old uni textbooks did well on Ziffit and, as I graduated in 2003, from a technology based subject, I was really pleased and surprised.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • michelle09
    Options
    Haha, nice. (My OH does 90% of our laundry so I'm not complaining either).

I tend to try old books/DVDs on WeBuyBooks and MusicMagpie. Some go really well, some don't, but you don't have to pay for the shipping!
  • Blibble
    Options
    How does the shipping work on these, as I was tempted to Facebook them and drop them off to anybody local if I'm out that way. Do they send you a box / do they reimburse you the postage etc.?

I've also got a cat bed to flog (fluffer refuses to use it - sod's law) and some old sports gear. I'm not keen on eBaying that though, due to the postage. Is FB buy & sell the way to go folks?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure