Can my ex-bank refuse this information in an SAR

Options

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ChrisBint wrote: »
    @shortcrust I am not sure that is a valid statement now, and less likely to be come GDPR.

I don't see how that will change anything. If someone borrows money and doesn't pay it back as agreed I see no reason why they don't have a valid reason to keep that information.
  • ChrisBint
    Options
    robber2 wrote: »
    GDPR will not stop them keeping data on you until the end of time if it can be justified. I suspect its not what you want to hear but the fact that you failed to keep the the Tc and Cs of a contract will always be commercially useful information for them to hold.

Shortcrusts statement IS still valid .

regards

Rob

If it can be justified, sure, but as neither you or I are experts in that area I guess we can only offer opinions.
  • ChrisBint
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    I don't see how that will change anything. If someone borrows money and doesn't pay it back as agreed I see no reason why they don't have a valid reason to keep that information.

If the original terms of our agreement were for them to process my data in relation to an account that no longer exists then it might get a little blurry. I am no expert, and in all honesty I do not really care, I am just curious, hence the original question.
  • ChrisBint
    Options
    @isthisnowtwitterorsomething?

Do you mean #isthisnowtwitterorsomething?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,914 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Retaining personal data (principle 5) ICO

Creditors are required to keep information on accounts for as long as nessessary, there is no limit on how long they can keep records, some keep them 6 years, others longer, depends on there own policy.

Not many keep records longer than 7/8 years, simply because the amount of data would be Hugh.

If you apply for credit again to a previous lender which whom you had bad debt, it’s always a possibility you will be refused because of data kept on internal files.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    ...Not many keep records longer than 7/8 years, simply because the amount of data would be Hugh...

Jackman, Lawrie or another one?
  • chattychappy
    Options
    ChrisBint wrote: »
    If the original terms of our agreement were for them to process my data in relation to an account that no longer exists then it might get a little blurry. I am no expert, and in all honesty I do not really care, I am just curious, hence the original question.

Bear in mind that limitation prevents enforcement of a debt, it doesn't cancel a debt. I remember a case some years ago where following the death of somebody who had some old debts, executors paid a time-barred debt and were challenged in court by the beneficiaries who lost as a result. The court found for the executors - although the creditor would be unable to sue the estate (limitation), had the executors not paid out of the estate then they would have had an action against the executors for breach of fiduciary duties. Of course this doesn't prevent a debt being (part) written off as part of an offer to settle, then it really wouldn't exist - depends on the terms.

In any case, there is no reason why a lender shouldn't keep information provided it is fair in the circumstances. If they've "had their fingers burnt" in the past, why shouldn't they keep the information so they can avoid lending to the same person again? Provided they can objectively justify the period for which they keep it, I don't think the ICO will stop them.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have no right to credit, and no financial institution is obliged to do business with you -- but I'm sure you knew that anyway. Regardless, I bet you found all the reminders in the above posts most useful. :rotfl:

Regarding the SAR, while these organisations don't have to do business with you, THEY DO HAVE TO provide you with all the information they hold about you, if you serve them with a SAR. So go for it, and if there's no reference to the commercial decision they obviously took about you (it might just be a record in their blacklist file, but you should still see it), I'd inform them that you believe the information to be incomplete. If they continue to drag their feet you should contact the ICO. Let us know how you get on.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tenchy wrote: »
    THEY DO HAVE TO provide you with all the information they hold about you,

Probably won't hold anything of interest. There's no need to.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tenchy wrote: »
    Regarding the SAR, while these organisations don't have to do business with you, THEY DO HAVE TO provide you with all the information they hold about you, if you serve them with a SAR. So go for it, and if there's no reference to the commercial decision they obviously took about you (it might just be a record in their blacklist file, but you should still see it), I'd inform them that you believe the information to be incomplete. If they continue to drag their feet you should contact the ICO. Let us know how you get on.
    A lot of people misunderstand about SAR and how long it takes. They need to compile everything, so if you have phoned they need to transcribe calls, etc. Its not the magic solution you may think - especially if you are thinking it will return a file saying "not to lend to"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure