Can my ex-bank refuse this information in an SAR

Options
13»

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    ChrisBint wrote: »
    @shortcrust I am not sure that is a valid statement now, ..

Seems perfectly valid to me.

Personal data will need to be retained for longer in some cases than in others. How long you retain different categories of personal data should be based on individual business needs.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-5-retention/
    and less likely to be come GDPR.

That's not going to help you now, is it?

The ICO says that "On 25 May 2018 most processing of personal data by organisations will have to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation".

We're still in 2017.:) Do you have some reason to believe that GDPR will modify principle 5?
    If it can be justified, sure, but as neither you or I are experts in that area I guess we can only offer opinions.

You wanted "initial thoughts". You got 'em. You don't like 'em. Tough. If you want an expert to pronounce on the matter, then you need to pay for one.

The SAR would be a waste of a tenner. But, hey, that's just my opinion.:)
  • ChrisBint
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Probably won't hold anything of interest. There's no need to.

Good to see that you completely missed the point of the question. :T
  • ChrisBint
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    A lot of people misunderstand about SAR and how long it takes. They need to compile everything, so if you have phoned they need to transcribe calls, etc. Its not the magic solution you may think - especially if you are thinking it will return a file saying "not to lend to"

Magic solution? To what? I am simply going to ask them what they have and yes, I do expect them to say something about the debts that were written off.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I do expect them to say something about the debts that were written off.

Why? That's history. What are you actually hoping to achieve by pursuing the matter.
  • ChrisBint
    Options
    Why? That's history. What are you actually hoping to achieve by pursuing the matter.

Nothing. I have multiple mortgage offers in place.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    Nothing. I have multiple mortgage offers in place.

Offers or AIP's? There's a fundamental difference between them.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Magic solution? To what? I am simply going to ask them what they have and yes, I do expect them to say something about the debts that were written off.
    I mean many people seem to hope it will show why they don't have to pay a debt, or some hope for a counter claim because they've been turned down for a loan because a debt was wiped under an IVA and believe that the fact a debt was wiped shouldn't be used in future applications.

Remember if they have wiped info due to the age of the IVA and you have not had any dealings with the company, then the SAR may not show much info you want. Getting turned down for credit may have nothing to do with the IVA
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    Remember if they have wiped info due to the age of the IVA and you have not had any dealings with the company, then the SAR may not show much info you want. Getting turned down for credit may have nothing to do with the IVA

In the past we used to call it the blacklist. Simply customers that had defaulted in the past and that a decision had been taken never to do business with again in the future. No historical records were retained other than enough to identify the customer should an application be received. These days could amount to little more than a flag against a historical account.
  • ChrisBint
    ChrisBint Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2017 at 6:49AM
    Options
    Offers or AIP's? There's a fundamental difference between them.

Offers, I am fairly confident of my experience on mortgages to know the difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure