We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Coffee, Cake, Yarn - New Start

Options

Comments

• CoffeeCakeYarn
    Options
    Morning all! (she says, creeping in very gingerly!)

I'll get the confession out of the way with - £165 went on the Credit Card last week. There. Said it. Done.

It was totally worth every single survey I'm going to have to do to make up for it. I had THE BEST time. We did sooooo much stuff, and I finally feel like I've had a proper break from work and sick and life and I am completely refreshed and ready to crack on with everything now.

So, money wise, it was way more spendy than I anticipated, but I had some fun pot saved to cover a fair bit, and I had a few decent sales on ebay over the week to counteract some of the spends. from the ebay sales I've managed to keep some money back for the rest of the socials this month (£60.00) and I still have all my other pots (petrol, food, emergency) running as they should. I'm scared to see the month end totals already and it's only the 5th. EEK. Fun spends and eating out is so large it's laughable, but I managed to track every single spend I made. Small mercies?

So now it's back to reality for a few days before the weekend away, I'm very thankful I've not got to pay out for anything on that apart from petrol, but plan is just to knuckle down and crack on and try and recoup as much of the overspend as possible.

Slapped wrists, naughty steps, but smiles all round :D

Hope you are all keeping well. I'm off to catch up on diaries, um, I mean work... obviously....

Happy Monday x
    Paid - 7095/26218 - Total
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    Morning coffee and I'm glad you had a good time last week. It sounds like you sort did money saving by tracking all your spending and by selling on eBay. Just keep it up and that credit card bill will go down very quickly!
  • CoffeeCakeYarn
    Options
    Hey MO4! It was amazing. I'm having a bit of guilt now I've written it all down, but, lots of 2-4-1's, an activity banked for March (I paid this time he pays next), clubcard meal, tastecard.. etc. It could have been so very much worse, so although I overspent, as I thought I would, I really do feel like I was in total control and saved where I could.

Which sounds stupid because I overspent on a week of fun, and if people are reading this thinking I'm an idiot, I know, I get it, I really do.....

Also, forgot to add the washing machine has packed up. Luckily it's the landlords responsibility not mine :D MSE!
  • Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think on occasions you just need to have a day or a weekend where you have a 'break' from it.

It's a bit like going on a diet. Every other weekend have that takeaway pizza, or the Indian. If you're super good the rest of time, you'll find after 3 months that you've lost weight. It's the same scenario with money - occasionally you just need to have a weekend off and let yourself go! I already know that date that will happen for me this month..... 24th February. Meeting some friends in London, few drinks (and food somewhere along the line), then going to the Football (ticket already paid for). If I get through that day having spent less than £100 that'll be a result! But I think once a month that's allowed, provided you're making progress the rest of the month.
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    I get the guilty feeling when I spend money as well. Even when it is budgeted! I think it's the coming on here and having to confess. I don't even like thought of spending money out of savings pots :rotfl:
  • MeenaM
    MeenaM Posts: 320 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Concentrate on the positive , you are refreshed and ready to go at attacking the debt again !
    paid off £27,527.47 debt free journey began Nov 2017 DEBT FREE 13.09.2019!! EF £3500/£5000
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Slapped wrist then, but if you know where it went, it was sort of 'worth it', then move on.
    Have you any of the ebay money left to actually pay towards the CC?
    When I've done this, or when I plan to spend some money over the usuals, then I tend to set it as a mini-target for myself alongside the others to get that money. So £165 is a target for yet more additional income.
    I already have set little targets that I have each month for additional income, and I meet them first, then go onto the new one. It's a huge incentive - also I don't wait til the bill comes in. I pay it off as soon as I receive it into my bank or paypal - I love seeing the numbers fall.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £1000.00/£580.00         Fn £510                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£406.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£092.50 (20%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£070.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£088.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0900.00

• CoffeeCakeYarn
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Mahs - You are so right, I just feel bad I've only just started the journey really, and already had a fun spend on the CC. EEK! Where abouts in London will you be?

Joey - £48 left from ebay went straight to the CC (already paid this morning) so £117 outstanding to try and make :) great minds think alike. And will not be touching the CC again this month, at all.
  • Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mahs - You are so right, I just feel bad I've only just started the journey really, and already had a fun spend on the CC. EEK! Where abouts in London will you be?

Football is at Fulham so eating/drinking beforehand will be mostly in and around the West End!
  • CoffeeCakeYarn
    Options
    Awesome! Enjoy! I do love a day out in London but it's stupid expensive!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport