Can we do it for under £500?

Anyone got any stories of cheap/low key weddings.
We want approx 20 at the day do and happy with a registry office however my OH wants an evening do of about 60 people. Our local pub is happy to do that if we sort the food.
We live in West Yorkshire - any tips greatly received.
Total debt: £12,157.43 as of January 2018
Debt free day: October 2021:j

Replies

• nimbonimbo Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Will the pub let you cater yourself? They can sometimes be a bit fussy if they have their own kitchen?

I am hoping to have My partner and our two mums cater a reception - i reckon they can buy the food for not alot compared to what we'd pay for professionals. I'm secretly hoping that i can hit up my partners aunt for a cake for a wedding cake - hopefully carrot or date and walnut -nothing ridiculous and fancy just good honest cakey goodness. (I reckon £150 - and i'm planning pavlovas for dessert and maybe cupcakes too - MIL makes awesome sausage rolls and there will be quiches and sandwiches - it's not exactly a posh plan but it will all be tasty and things i like to eat)...

I'm personally planning to have my wedding on a week day with just mothers and potentially immediate family - SERIOUSLY low key and then have an event one weekend day so that we can cater and decorate ourselves.

I'm hoping to do it as cheap as possible. I have been ordering seriously cheap decorations on fleabay e.g. 6 pence each, as well as brooches for my bouquets for pennies and a veil for all of 99p. It's not the sexiest or poshest - but it will do the job and will work for the half a day i may wear it.

I'm planning in advance as much as possible without going mad. I am hoping to have it sorted for under £1000 I do think that is manageable for me. (I have seen shoes for £85 - which will be more than the whole rest of my outfit - but I love them)...

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • Thanks for responding replying - sounds like you’ll have a great day x
    Total debt: £12,157.43 as of January 2018
    Debt free day: October 2021:j
  • 7roland87roland8 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Nimbo - love your ideas and you sound so sensible.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • DiamandisDiamandis Forumite
    856 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    £500 will be tight. Do you have clothes to wear? Are you planning to wear a wedding dress? Does he need a suit? Are you having flowers? Do you need transport?

A buffet in a pub and the registry office fees should be okay for £500, just depends what else you need.
  • savvysavvy Forumite
    31.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Have you checked out the ideas in these threads in the sticky at the top of this board at all?
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to [email protected]. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • GladGlad Forumite, Ambassador
    18.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Hi
    have you seen this article on the MSE Main Site?

Weddings On A Budget
    50+ tips to cut the cost of dresses, venues, cakes & more
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Crafting, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning, and UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    my OH wants an evening do of about 60 people. Our local pub is happy to do that if we sort the food.

Ask a local fish and chip van to park outside the pub a couple of times during the evening. Guests can choose what they want to buy. :money:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides