Start an ironing service... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• Funky_Mum
    Options
    Hi, welcome!

I started out with just my normal steam iron as it was good enough to start with. Then as I made money I invested in a press (though I only now use this for bedding) and a steam generator iron. The steam generator makes things a whole lot easier - I managed to iron 7kg of ironing in just under and hr and half last night and before then it would have taken me at least 2 and a half. I got mine from Littlewoods on pay next September and it was in the sale too.

I get plastic hangers from Wilkinsons/Tescos etc - they're normally around £1.50 for 10, though I saw them in Poundland the other day - 12 for £1. I bought my plastic coverings on Ebay, I think a roll of 500 was around £35 but wish I'd have got less covers with wire hangers for the same price as someone was doing them too.

Vistaprint is a good place for free business cards - you just pay for delivery.

I don't have insurance - not sure if that's a good thing or not but I just say that I pay a maximum of £40 per item on my T&C's. I charge by the kg as I find that the simplest way - just stick it on the scales and you've got the price. As time goes on you get a feel for how much it weighs too so if the customer asks you have a better idea.

Good luck! :)

Do you bother with trouser clips etc? Do you weigh at the door too?
    Cheers!
  • missspeedy23
    Options
    Funky_Mum wrote: »
    Do you bother with trouser clips etc? Do you weigh at the door too?
    Cheers!

Hi

No I don't use trouser clips - to be honest I don't get that many trousers sent. The plastic hangers I use are good for trousers though so have not felt the need to and once they're wrapped they stay put.

I don't weigh at the door - I just do it when I get home and my customers have always trusted me to be honest with them. People sometimes do ask what 5kg (my minimum charge) equates to and I tell them roughly a loosely filled bin liner.
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Options
    Ladies please don't go and buy hangers they are a waste of money the best thing we ever did was go to a local market on a friday or saturday depending on what day it was and ask the stall holders (the clothing ones obviously) for their hangers that they are throwing we did this for about 2 months and all the stall holders had boxed them for us to take away. Also contact local independent clothes shops to ask for spare hangers you will have to collect them yourself like but free is better than spending loads of money on hangers.

We get phone calls all the time asking if we need any hangers, customers ask us so we don't have a shortage. Make yourself known out there to local businesses. Get magnetics for your car if that's what your using but make sure you take them off if you go on the motorway.

Steam generator irons that are reconditioned are cheap on ebay wouldn't recommend buying a brand new one they only last about 12 months where as off ebay they can last alot longer and they are alot cheaper to begin with I can recommend the Tefal Pro Express iron. We have 2 presses that we don't use you tend to burn your hand on the "lid" of it.

We charge per item like 40 items are £25 etc

HTH

Steph xx
  • bmj191
    bmj191 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    I have a cleaning business in Cheshire and absolutely love it! It's fantastic to be able to pick and choose customers once established and I also love cleaning lol :-)

Ironing wise I used to charge £10 per bin bag when I first started out. I quickly realised this was not so profitable three hours later lol :-)
    I now charge per item, ranging from 40p to £1.20. I don't do bedding.

I haven't fully established the ironing side yet, cleaning is extremely busy and I am out all day because of this.
    In fact, looking for cleaning staff to come help me! If you're in south/rural Chester, I may be able to help!

Hope everyone manages to build a profitable business, it's so much better than my last job sitting in an office lol :-)

oh and love Stephs idea of going to car boots for hangers- great tip! :-)
  • bmj191
    bmj191 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry Steph- markets, not car boots, although that might work too lol :-)
  • missspeedy23
    Options
    Stephb1986 wrote: »
    Ladies please don't go and buy hangers they are a waste of money the best thing we ever did was go to a local market on a friday or saturday

Good idea, I did think of that but I daren't go and ask just in case they say no!!

I think I might put a "wanted" post on Freecycle as I'm sure there's loads of people who might have some to get rid of...
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Options
    Good idea, I did think of that but I daren't go and ask just in case they say no!!

I think I might put a "wanted" post on Freecycle as I'm sure there's loads of people who might have some to get rid of...

Just look at it as the worst they can say is no lol :)

Most people will be glad to get rid of them saves them having to put them back in their van :) go on I think you should have a go this week.

Shame we don't have a million spare hangers or I would of sent you some.

Steph xx
  • SazM030306
    SazM030306 Posts: 1,317 Forumite
    Options
    I've just completed my first job! I put an advert in the local A5 leaflet and had a phone call from there.
    The thing I was a bit stuck with was what to say on the phone!! Do you ask how much ironing they need doing? When do they want it collecting? I'm charging per item so do I go and price up, then they decide if they want it doing or not? Or do they go through naming each item and you price up over the phone?
    I happened to be free the same afternoon I got the call so I went up and priced up, but it seemed a bit faffy. Luckily she was happy with the price and I took it back today for her. Also what should the turnaround be? Is a day about right? Or would a couple of days be acceptable? Should I be giving receipts?

Sorry for so many questions!!

Oh and doesn't other people's washing smell different :D

Saz xxx
    :heart2: THANK YOU MARTIN!! :heart2:
  • missspeedy23
    Options
    SazM030306 wrote: »
    I've just completed my first job! I put an advert in the local A5 leaflet and had a phone call from there.
    The thing I was a bit stuck with was what to say on the phone!! Do you ask how much ironing they need doing? When do they want it collecting? I'm charging per item so do I go and price up, then they decide if they want it doing or not? Or do they go through naming each item and you price up over the phone?
    I happened to be free the same afternoon I got the call so I went up and priced up, but it seemed a bit faffy. Luckily she was happy with the price and I took it back today for her. Also what should the turnaround be? Is a day about right? Or would a couple of days be acceptable? Should I be giving receipts?

Sorry for so many questions!!

Oh and doesn't other people's washing smell different :D

Saz xxx

Hi, I charge by the kg so can tell them roughly what the minimum charge covers (a loosely filled bin liner). Most of my customers aren't bothered knowing the cost beforehand, in fact I don't think anyone has ever asked! They just usually trust what I charge them. I'm not sure how others who charge by the item work but I don't think I'd fancy counting them out in front of them though! I would imagine if they know beforehand you charge per item they will generally count the no. of items themselves so they know.

I usually give them a receipt, which I use to detail anything I've not ironed due to dirt/damage etc. I also use them to ask them to reuse hangers and to note holiday closures so they are useful.

My standard service is 48 hours and offer an express service (24hrs) for an additional £1 per kg but no-one has asked for this yet. In fact some customers like to wait 3 days as it fits in with their week better. If I had the time to take it back the next day however I would as it gets it out of the way!
  • Stephb1986_2
    Options
    Hi! No one really asks us how much it is before hand the odd person so what we do is tell them that I will take it away count it and ring them with a price.

We don't give receipts unless they ask for one some people do it for insurance purposes if they've had a car crash etc.

Our turn around is 24 hours unless we are really busy then it can be 48 hours.

Yes other peoples washing smells totally different mainly in a bad way too lol. If you haven't experienced the bad way yet then be prepared hehehe.

Charging per item is fairly simple really say like 50p per item of clothing it's up to you if you do bedding.

HTH

Steph xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport