Start an ironing service... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• chrisem12345
    Options
    Hi all, I am just at the start of my own ironing adventure as all those before me! I have just spent the past hour reading the previous comments and armed only with a trusty iron and determined head, i will approach Vesta for the cards etc and pop them up in and around my local area ( East Leeds) and keep my fingers crossed! I think i will begin like this and then hopefully branch out into cleaning homes if I get any interest. Can anyone advise in my area if there is much need in Leeds and if so what the going rates are at all? Also what turnaround is to be expected - 24 hours or longer?

Any body interested please pm me!

Emma x x
  • Funky_Mum
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Another one starting up. I'm in Wincanton, Somerset. I have my name and website running yourironingangel.co.uk and I'd love to see everyone elses (if my link gets deleted please pm me with your website url, not sure if we are allowed to post them) Its still being tweaked though!
    This thread has been a great help!
  • Butlerz2U
    Options
    Hello all, I'm new to this forum.

Ten years ago I started an ironing service collection and delivery service in Wimbledon with cards in shop windows. As the income came in I advertised in a local lifestyle magazine which was very successful.

I'm now in Hants area providing many more services. The more services you can offer the better your income potential. A useful service to add to the ironing is dry cleaning. Find a good dry cleaner whose finishing is top notch, and negotiate a discount of 20% minimum. Your cutomers will then give you suits for cleaning with their shirts.

A good charge out rate is shirts by the item and mixed items by the kilo. If you're prepared to run around town picking up and delivering in the dark, wet windy winters evenings you should get a good following. The bulk of work could be the husbands' shirts, so you'll need to be a perfectionist. Use a good steam iron. It's good to supply wire hangers, and suggest to your customers they recycle these. Polywrap is also essential if you want be professional - 4 shirts per cover.
    Butlerz.co.uk :)
  • Hunnie79
    Options
    Hi Guys

Shameless self promotion which is necessary in this business!

Ironing in Milton Keynes - my main difference is that unlike most people, I can offer card payment for a small surcharge.

I also deliver and collect from people's work place and so if you work in MK but live elsewhere, there's no rushing home for a delivery!

My other job is seasonal so this is perfect and I'm very reliable.

Anyone in the Milton Keynes area who wants to try my services I offer a first time customer perk - 50% DISCOUNT - try before you buy - that's a good recommendation if you're new to this because people need to trust you.

Please DM me if you'd like to try me out.

H
  • fussy_feline
    fussy_feline Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 27 September 2010 at 7:10PM
    Options
    Where is the best place to go for insurance? Am just starting up, have had the odd little ironing jobs but nothing weekly, am in a town in Cambridgeshire. Still dropping off free postcards, need to order more. Thought £8.00 ph would be reasonable especially during these hard times of reccession. Any other advice gladly received.
    Has anyone worked for another ironing company like 'all ironed out'? What are the pro's and con's is it worth doing while you are waiting for customers.
  • missspeedy23
    Options
    Hi all

I've been running my ironing service for a few months now, as well as working full time (mad I know!). It started off being something just to top up my salary as things were a bit tight and had a couple of customers to keep me going. However, now things seem to be picking up from a guide that I've put an advert in and have 4/5 regular weekly customers plus a few sporadic ones. The phone number listed for me is my home one but obviously as I work during the day could be getting calls unanswered too. I have an answering machine but don't often get any. I do list my mobile number too but it's awkward answering it when your boss is sat there!

I'm now debating whether to drop a day or 2 at work but it's finding the right time to actually do it. Has anyone else been in this same situation - how did you decide it was the right time?

Any help greatly appreciated!

PS If anyone wants an ironer in the Barnsley (South Yorks) area please let me know!!

pressed-to-perfection.co.uk

Jo
  • mrsspoon_2
    Options
    Hi,

I've been doing this for quite a short time but my speed is still holding me back. Does anyone have any tips?

I'm doing 10-12 shirts per hour, t-shirts around 3 minutes each around duvet covers and fitted sheets take me sometimes 15 minutes. I need to get faster so I can get more work, but at the moment I can't see how I can get any faster than I am already.

When you're actually ironing, do you go over the same part a few times, or do you just take it that once you've gone over it with the iron then it's done. Also, do you do t-shirts on one side or do you do both?

I'd really appreciate any tips, no matter how obvious they sound!

Thanks!
    Grocery challenge Feb £95.49/£300 (2 adults, 2 children)
    Barclaycard £10,346.42
    Overdraft expected to be £5,865.01 end Jan.
    :embarasse :embarasse Big leap for me to put those in black and white, hoping MSE will help me get on track.
  • missspeedy23
    Options
    mrsspoon wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been doing this for quite a short time but my speed is still holding me back. Does anyone have any tips?

I'm doing 10-12 shirts per hour, t-shirts around 3 minutes each around duvet covers and fitted sheets take me sometimes 15 minutes. I need to get faster so I can get more work, but at the moment I can't see how I can get any faster than I am already.

When you're actually ironing, do you go over the same part a few times, or do you just take it that once you've gone over it with the iron then it's done. Also, do you do t-shirts on one side or do you do both?

I'd really appreciate any tips, no matter how obvious they sound!

Thanks!

Hi MrsSpoon

I know how you feel. What kind of iron do you use? I've just ordered a steam generator one so hoping that will speed me up. I find that my iron isn't up to scratch any more.

I've got a press that I use for bedding/t-shirts which doesn't take me too long. If I can get away with it and they have folded bedding nice and neatly (not often!) I press it in halves or thirds as this speeds things up. Fitted sheets I fold in half and tuck the corners in and then press the flat edge first, then move onto the fitted edge, stretching it out as I go.

If I use my press to do t-shirts, I only do one side as it's sufficient enough. If I use my iron I do both sides as I put them over the end of the board.

I do tend to now just go over things once, then obviously if there are any stubborn creases, tackle them.

If you don't have a press I'd highly recommend one, especially for bedding. I use that combined with a water spray for creased bedding and only press on one side with the top facing the hot edge. No one has complained!

Hope this helps and good luck :)
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    10-12 shirts per hour sounds good to me.
    If you are using an ordinary iron then I'd definitely recommend a steam generator or one of those presses.
    I have a steam generator and many fabrics can jsut be done one side.
  • mrsspoon_2
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I have a tefal pro express steam generator iron which is great. I saw some steam presses going quite cheap on ebay and wondered if they would save me time, I might have to invest in one!

I sometimes think it's my own perfectionism holding me back. I feel I haven't done the job properly if I haven't ironed both sides of the sleeve (for example) - even if I turn it over and it looks ok on the other side, I still like to go over it!

I do seem to spend a long time going over the same bit which I need to make a concious effort to stop. I run the iron over the same spot probably 3 or 4 times, even if it's fine the first time.

Miss speedy - when ironing fitted sheets do you iron the crease into the sheet (where you've folded it)? Do your customers mind that? I haven't tried it yet, but I'll give anything a go to speed up the process!
    Grocery challenge Feb £95.49/£300 (2 adults, 2 children)
    Barclaycard £10,346.42
    Overdraft expected to be £5,865.01 end Jan.
    :embarasse :embarasse Big leap for me to put those in black and white, hoping MSE will help me get on track.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback