Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Single, six kids and going to be debt free! - Page 86

New Post Advanced Search

Single, six kids and going to be debt free!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
1.1K replies 116.6K views

Replies

• Baileys_BabeBaileys_Babe Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update.

As always you sound very much in control.

I makes sense to plan to work more once the little ones are in school. I like the idea of you starting your own sewing business, this will give you flexibility to work when you have time, but you will still have the security of an income from your current job.

I previously had two half time jobs, both of which I enjoyed and were in related fields. On many occasions I was asked by each job if I wanted to increase my hours to full-time and have just the 1 job. I always turned them down as the variety kept it interesting and if there was ever problems with one I knew I would be escaping to the other job in a couple of days at the most.

I can see why you haven't done a new SOA.
  • MumoffourkidsMumoffourkids Forumite
    1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    So the last few days I have really been struggling especially yesterday. I woke up early with a bit of a bad stomach, then went back to sleep and really struggled to wake up. I decided to take the day off work and basically just slept on the sofa all day. I haven't been motivated to do anything round the house so it is starting to get messy and needs a clean again. I didn't even feel like sewing yesterday. I know that I need to get out of this rut so I have come back to work today but I really don't want to be here and I am still tired. I need to do a little list for today to get me going and then do a slightly bigger one for tomorrow. I don't want to do too much too soon but I do know I need to do something.

Money saving has been going ok though. I have paid off our holiday to Cornwall this week and next is to save for the spending money. Tomorrow will be a big day of updating my spreadsheet and putting money into savings accounts as it is the last time I get money in this month.

Right back to do some work although I am really not motivated to do anything at all today!
    Emergency fund £257.38/£1000
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    72.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep plodding :)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • Seasidegal58Seasidegal58 Forumite
    4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awh! Poor you! :( I hope you'll feel more like your old self soon mo4k.

Well done on paying off the holiday.
    x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 :j:j:j
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    :j:j
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 9
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,000! BUT- still scrimping!”
  • brizzlegirlbrizzlegirl Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Get well soon and take it easy x
    DFFW - pay it ALL off in 2020- on track for October!
    MFW..aim for Dec 2023
    2020 Savings Rate - Goal 40%38% April - best in 2019 66% November
    July Goals AFDs 01/25 Decluttering xx/60 LSDs 01/10 NSDs xx/05 July Exercise RT Xxk 01/25 12k steps per day pls
    Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Ok so it’s been a long time since I have been on here. In that time I have changed jobs to one more local to home but it means I took a pay cut. However, I have been able to sew more and I have earnt a bit from sewing but not as much as I would have liked. 

My mental health has taken a real nose dive and as such we now have a family support worker who is helping us get through not only this difficult time with the Coronavirus but life in general.

One thing that doesn’t seem too bad at the moment is my finances luckily. I have been furloughed from work and will find out at the end of this month what I will get, but hopefully it should be enough. I have estimated on the low side so fingers crossed I will get at least that. I am saving on petrol costs but seem to be spending a lot more on food now all the kids are at home!

My spreadsheets are still going strong, however I haven’t managed to save up to buy a house. It is looking more and more unlikely that I will ever be able to buy a house big enough for us so I am trying to work out what to do. I should be able to save a decent amount this year but no point saving it if I can’t buy a house. Unless I buy one to rent out. The other thing is that the house we are in currently is still too small for us. I was always planning to move by the time my youngest was 2 and she will be 4 in august!

I still have my car loan but am hoping to pay at least £500 off that soon. It is so hard to know what to do for the best for the future.
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    72.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep plodding  :)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • Honeysucklelou2Honeysucklelou2 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good to “see” you again Mumoffourkids. Glad you’ve been able to get some sewing done.
    paydbx2020 #93 £1389.42/£10,025 . 1 debt 100 days 35 £493/£1820
    EF £100 . SPC 141

# savings# £46 . Oven. £344/£403 H2S £100
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for dropping by beanie and honeysuckle. 

Well this Easter weekend has been different, but we still managed an Easter egg hunt in the house on Saturday. The kids couldn’t wait until Sunday! And it was all organised by the 14 year old. She hid all the eggs for the younger ones and then they ran round the house finding small eggs. Kept them amused for a bit which is getting harder and harder to do in this lockdown.

At the beginning of lockdown, I was worrying about money and whether I would be able to afford to pay everything but it seems I needn’t have worried. I started up YNAB yesterday and plugged everything in. Took a while as I wanted to start from the beginning of April so had to do some working out. But it is all looking good and I have set loads of savings goals including one to save up and move to a bigger rented house. This house is too small by one bedroom and one reception room. I currently share my bedroom with my 9 year old daughter. She has a den in the corner of the room which is her “room”. It is zebra themed and she will be getting more zebras for her birthday at the beginning of May.

I need to get back into some kind of routine as I have been staying up late and sleeping in late and this is not getting jobs done around the house. Need to do a to do list for each day this week which includes some sewing!
  • Seasidegal58Seasidegal58 Forumite
    4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm so pleased to read your posts - you sound like you've been having a tough time though which I'm sorry to hear. Your second post read much more positive though. I do admire you - it must be so hard keeping all the children occupied in these difficult times.  How lovely that your 14 year old devised the Easter egg hunt for her siblings!😀. I hope the savings pots go well. 
    Glad to read too that you've been sewing!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 :j:j:j
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    :j:j
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 9
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,000! BUT- still scrimping!”