Options
1234568»

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LocoLoco wrote: »
    The focus on the OPs terminology in this thread has astonished me; it seemed quite obvious to me from the context that he was talking about asking the daughter to contribute to the household expenses, not to become her landlord.

That's what i took the OP's intention as from the very beginning, right up until when they posted wanting to make it a formal arrangement with a lodgers agreement:
    I'm actually starting to think this should now be a formal arrangement - maybe a lodger agreement.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Also, if she later chooses to move to sheltered accommodation she will have a nasty shock if she has no concept of costs. Even 'children' who have worked for a number of years and then move away ,find it a shock to find what has to be paid and realise how much parents were saving them.

This is an argument that comes up alot when discussing paying lodge and it has been mentioned a few time in this thread.

I disagree that simply paying an amount of money as lodge will prepare them for moving out. I'm not saying adults shouldn't be contributing to household finances but they should do it because they are using the household resources and its fair they pay their bit.

Their shouldn't be any "Shock" when they move out if they are suitably prepared. Parents should be teaching their children and getting them involved in what household bills they pay and how much they are. It's then fairly easy to work out how much it will cost per month to run a house and create a budget before they even move out. This can even be done by someone who's parents doesn't charge them any lodge. So paying lodge doesn't someone how mean it prepares them for moving out or make them any better with money.
  • CurlySue2017
    Options
    I may have to re-consider my use of the word 'rent' then - it seems to have many emotional connotations to some..

Best just to ignore these posts - there has clearly been a misunderstanding of the word "rent" here, but some people will just continue to argue the point like a dog with a bone, rather than sticking to the point.

IMO this is clear cut. The daughter is an adult with an income and therefore, should contribute to the home, no matter where that income comes from.

How is she supposed to ever be "out on her own" if she has no understanding of budgeting and how to handle money, because everything has been handed to her?

The thing that disabled people always seem to want most is to be treated equally......how is not paying your way in life making you equal?

To the OP - IMO you are absolutely right to ask her to pay some sort of contribution to the home - whatever name you want to give to that contribution is up to you, not the high horse riders on here :)
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    Just out of curiosity though, who financed them before you felt you needed rent?
  • Lanzarote1938
    Options
    Just out of curiosity though, who financed them before you felt you needed rent?

I am supposing child benefit and perhaps child tax credits were in payment.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Do you mean rent or keep?

The daughter gets benefits for her living costs so yes, she should contribute towards food etc. I assume that your GF previously was paid benefits including her daughter as a child?
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    Unless it's changed recently, carers allowance is based on the claimants income only, not household.

CA is assessed on the Carers wages which have to be under £116 a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure