2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The first time that Tesco did the days out, I bought Merlin passes with my vouchers for the 6 of us.

They got us on the London Eye, into the Waxworks and Alton Towers etc. They were great. Of course by the time they needed renewing the voucher 'price' had gone up and I'm pretty sure the points I was getting had gone down, so they didn't happen again.

After that, they were saved for Christmas or 'tight' months. A very different life of juggling money to make debt repayments, where the only part of the budget you could really reduce was the food part :/

Being single has some perks!
  • FrankieM
    Options
    I bought snacks yesterday! No idea what happened there!

So my purse is now firmly kept at home and I'll have to really think about how I do 'top up' shops so that doesn't happen again.

Other than that, I just bought a card for my dad. Father's day in Australia is coming up soon and I've not been organised for it at all. As it is, I don't think my card will get there in time so I'll ring as well.

I need to think about my months a bit better and what cards are needed through out the year and perhaps buy them all at once.
    I'm learning that being frugal means both flexibility and organisation at all times :)

I watched Ben Fogle and his Everest challenge last night. I loved it. So encouraging and inspiring.

It's really challenged me to not only deal with my fear of failure but my fear of success (which seems crazy, but there it is)
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hello everyone
    Been MIA for a while will catch up with everyone's posts later been on family holiday to Cornwall camping so not too expensive and was planned I exchanged my Tescos vouchers for us all to go to Flambards which was worth it not sure would have wanted to pay full price but we did take advantage of come back for free which I was pleased two free days.
    Got some birthday money to spend but not rushing out will wait till I really like something. Still saving in retirement fund although have noticed food bill going up a bit need to rein myself back in.
    Frugal challenge 2024

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not been very well over the past few days so haven't achieved anything but haven't spent anything either! ;)
  • Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    some good ideas there for the tesco points
    hope you feel better soon squirrelgirl x
  • FrankieM
    Options
    Hi patentgirl I love Cornwall, so I'm very envious. Hope you had a lovely time away.

Sorry to hear you've not been well squirrelgirl xx

I was awake before 5am this morning. No idea why, but decided to just get up. I'm at work at 7.30am so it's given me time to get used to the idea!

I've hung some washing out, put some more on. Put dry clothes away and read forums and drunk coffee. I nice easy start to the day

I'll be glad when my DS goes back to Uni next week and I can give the house a good airing and a good clean. I'm currently working around his belongings and his general messiness. Suddenly the floor needs vacuuming multiple times a week, but before he stayed it was just the once. I'm not sure what he does! It's been a long 12 weeks!
  • Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had a lovely day out yesterday with my eldest Gd, ( shes 6) Found a brilliant place to take her. and its on my doorstep too , never even knew it was there , Its a Farm Park type place , Lots of small animals , pigs, sheep , small goats , chickens on the outside that surrounds a HUGE play area. Inside a big barn full of sit n ride toys , one of those pretend cows to milk , and a pen full of baby calves, All the animals were so tame , they were obviously used to people and let the kids pet them , No charge at all , all free , Only thing they asked was please dont bring a picnic , as they have a cafe and want to sell thier own produce and home made ice cream . if you want to purchase food , I thought it was really nice in this day and age to find someone offering all that for free
  • FrankieM
    Options
    Did my shopping today. I also bought some toiletries from wilkinsons and tights from Sainsburys as well as fuel.
    Food and fuel in budget and the other items were covered by other budgets.

Other than that, a day of dying the greys out of my hair and of rest.

Lunches and teas for the week organised and I'm off for an early night. I have a terrible headache.

It's been lovely and sunny though, long may it last :)
  • FrankieM
    Options
    Felling much better this morning, though my body decided it was morning time at 4.30am. I stayed in bed until 5am to try not to disturb DS, but it's still ridiculously early!

A fresh week and a fresh start for me, though I think that will be better once DS has gone back to Uni and I can get back into my own routine.

September is an expensive month. Various birthdays, including my own and while I'm not adding to any debt, my savings pots aren't growing as I'd like so I could really do with some NSDs when I can get them.

All this months debt payments have come out and it's a great feeling to see the balance dropping. I'm looking forward to having it paid off so I can get the saving started. It takes so much longer to pay off than to rack up!

It's a bust week at work with meetings and training and learning something new because one of my team has resigned and I'll be covering in the short term.
    Not to mention the general office politics :)
  • FrankieM
    Options
    Morning :)

A better night's sleep last night, well I slept til 5.20am this morning, which is more like it.

NSD yesterday because my purse was kept at home. I don't know why I kid myself that I can take it with me and not spend.
    Meals planned for today.

My friend is popping around for coffee this evening and my daughter is back so it's going to feel like a houseful, but it's a frugal way to see people and I've got too many birthdays and events this month to spend anymore money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure