Car Park Investment - Is it a Scam?

Options

Comments

• batterybunny
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    8% a year is not too good to be true.
    Then I'll let you put your money in first...
  • dividendhero
    dividendhero Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Options
    One thing about this "investment" that rings alarm bells - how can you check how much your car parking spot is used? Though that's irrelevant as the car park spot doesn't even exist
  • Katiewhy2
    Katiewhy2 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Mine exists- I've seen it and it is being utilised- Mine are in Gatwick.
    I think some of the spaces in Glasgow aren't being used.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Being utilised by the boss's ferrari?

You can be sure of one thing, if that space is being used as intended and genuinely generating revenue for PF, little if any of that money is going to be heading your way.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 March 2019 at 10:06PM
    Options
    Katiewhy2 wrote: »
    Mine exists- I've seen it and it is being utilised- Mine are in Gatwick.
    I think some of the spaces in Glasgow aren't being used.

How do you know which one is yours?

Utilisation is something I always wondered about with these. When I park my car at an airport I'm generally not allocated a specific spot, I just park. So how do they know that my space has been used, surely it has to be an average amount for all the spaces in the park.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • dividendhero
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »

And how do you know they haven't told multiple people they all own the same spot?
  • Katiewhy2
    Katiewhy2 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Its on a site plan- Its on the land registry details.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »

Utilisation is something I always wondered about with these. When I park my car at an airport I'm generally not allocated a specific spot, I just park. So how do they know that my space has been used, surely it has to be an average amount for all the spaces in the park.
    ParkFirst's Gatwick operation seems to be a meet and greet/valet parking operation, where someone parks your car for you. So I suppose in theory they could tell which space they were using. However I wonder if they do - Google Earth shows their car park as a "cram them into every square inch of space" sort of place, rather than a "nice, neat white lines and numbers spaces" sort of place, so I guess you could have two Minis or half a Hilux in your space at any given time.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/ABC+Gatwick/@51.1605446,-0.12144,215a,44.2y,1.59t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4875eef1ff755bb7:0x7a6e80cdc53ffaf1!8m2!3d51.165525!4d-0.12345

As an aside, on a rough calculation, at £25K/space that small patch of tarmac is "worth" somewhere north of £5m - about ten times as much as the well-to-do houses with similarly sized gardens just down the road. Which is nice.
  • dividendhero
    Options
    Its on a site plan- Its on the land registry details.

Have you paid £4 and checked with the land registry? It seems very odd that they've broken up a car park into hundreds of plots and got someone to do a conveyencing transaction on them all
  • Shashy
    Shashy Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    Be careful of the calls from GRL offering to buy back the car parking spaces for more than what we paid for them- They will handle all the paperwork etc etc and its easy and straightforward as they have a company that wants to buy them up for a concierge service.
    A little bit of google searching and its likely to be another scam :(

As you were told on here months ago.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport