Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Drawing a line under the debt. Take two. - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search

Drawing a line under the debt. Take two.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
562 replies 31.7K views

Replies

• MumoffourkidsMumoffourkids Forumite
    992 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh I understand. Think I might try and get ahead with my bills once my pay date has changed! They are moving it from the middle of the month to the beginning of the month, so over the next few months I can start getting ahead with the bills at least, but won't be able to get ahead for the rent and nursery fees! I get tax credits weekly so at the moment they cover weekly DD's, savings to specific pots and weekly expenses such as food, petrol and general spending. Then my wages and the housing benefit and maintenance cover the rent and nursery fees. But when my pay date changes, I will change this so my pay covers the monthly Direct debits and part of the nursery fees.
    Emergency fund £257.38/£1000
  • DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    This month seems to have gone on forever! I am waiting for hubby to be paid (possibly tomorrow, or Monday) then I can update bills for may, pay some back to holiday fund, pay Legoland off the credit card, put £200 towards France and have a bit for the Easter holidays. When I get paid in April I am hoping to get the debt under 10k, so will need to find £460. It shouldn't be a problem but depends on the tax credits payment on the 6th.

Lots of planning, just waiting so I have the funds for the doing :rotfl:
    Loan  2431.89 July 20
    Cc 1 £1800 July 20
    Cc 2 £1575 July 20

• FiscalPickleFiscalPickle Forumite
    152 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    This month seems to have gone on forever! I am waiting for hubby to be paid (possibly tomorrow, or Monday) then I can update bills for may, pay some back to holiday fund, pay Legoland off the credit card, put £200 towards France and have a bit for the Easter holidays. When I get paid in April I am hoping to get the debt under 10k, so will need to find £460. It shouldn't be a problem but depends on the tax credits payment on the 6th.

Lots of planning, just waiting so I have the funds for the doing :rotfl:

Agree, even though payday was 4 weeks ago today March feels like it's gone on forever. Looking forward to Easter and warmer weather :j
    DFD - 26/10/19
    In the process of shedding £20k and 35lbs
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Been so slack at updating, I did a long post on Monday and the site crashed before I posted and I lost it :mad:

Anyway hubby got paid, all of may bills and expenses are set up in YNAB, paid for the smallest boys drama class and signed the boy up to a fitness class for £33 a month. He is loving it and he really needs it, he has scaled back on all kinds of physical activity since starting secondary school. Also paid the £100 I spent on the credit card for the Legoland day (still a massive deal for six of us to go for that price :eek: )

I get paid around the 11th and am hoping to be able to clear £460 off the loan to take it under 10k (just) but I still haven't ordered the stuff for the conservatory from IKEA.

Going forward I need to pay out for a trip to Scotland in august. I MAY camp, but I can rent a caravan for £450 and am tempted as it will be me and the four kids. It's one of the inner Hebridean islands, I have a friend who lives there and it is stunning. Hubby threw a spanner in my planning though by saying he might come, but wouldn't want to stay in the island for five nights. But he won't camp so it would end up being more of a touring holiday so I think I might suggest doing that at the end of August. He wants to head up to Liverpool/Manchester and stay in premier inns for a few days and travel around. He lived up there until we got married and we actually met in Liverpool and would be a nice thing to do with the kids. I am in touch with a few people from that time on Facebook and we haven't seen them for over a decade, would be lovely to catch up etc, will have to do some pricing you think.

Also I need to find funds to pay the gardener. He is doing the front fence (a much cheaper version than the back one he did last year!) And level the back garden and turf etc. So debt busting after this month may be postponedunt after the summer I think.

I have £600 for our french trip, going to put £400 into euros next week and keep the rest back to see if we end up spending on the credit card for anything. We got out ehic cards back this week so just need to look into travel insurance for us and we are all ready to go, the kids are super excited. :j

The big trip we were planning may not come off. The people we were planning on going with have gone a bit quiet on it, and with the smallest struggles with school I am worried about leaving him with my mil who would have to try and get him to school. Last time we went it was in the holidays and leaving him was no issues, but this time we would avoid the holidays due to cost. Anyway I have 3k sitting aside or this so would have to decide whether to pay this back into the loan or not. Will leave it for the time being and decide after the summer I think.

This month I have about £20 left for food until the 10th, council tax bill came in and budget regigged for that and other bills that have gone up (gas and electric, water and sky) I will look at them all over the coming month I think. I will be filing my tax return after the Easter break, but at a glance I will probably have to pay around £850 tax/ni and I have £500 put aside :( next year I should come under the threshold, it's just that I had the employed job alongside the self employed one this year that's put me over.

Worldwide I have cut my Wednesday hours so finish at 12 every Wednesday so have an afternoon free. I have a new client every Thursday starting after Easter and a family member wants me to clean their house on a Friday and will pay me so that's a help. I am only taking a day off at Easter outside the bank holidays as I lost too much in march with bad weather and clients all getting new bathrooms out in and cancelling, seriously it must be the time of year for new bathrooms, it's been crazy :rotfl:

Anyway nothing else to report really, hopefully I will be more proactive at signing in and updating over Easter.
    Loan  2431.89 July 20
    Cc 1 £1800 July 20
    Cc 2 £1575 July 20

1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    And more proactive at reading before posting to correct all the mistakes :rotfl:
    Loan  2431.89 July 20
    Cc 1 £1800 July 20
    Cc 2 £1575 July 20

• wishingthemortgaheawaywishingthemortgaheaway Forumite
    2.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just booked a load of travel splodges for a work trip in April,

Their 'Easter sale' was £10 off 1 night £20 off two nights.

I needed 4 nights in 3 different hotels so booked as 3 separate transactions saving £40 in total (work does pay, but I've had to pay it out to start with, so wanted to get a good deal for me too) there's also about £9/£10 pending on a cashback site too. (If I'd had my rewards cc back then I would have been laughing!)

Worth a look for summer deals.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • MumoffourkidsMumoffourkids Forumite
    992 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have been really bad at updating and also posting on other people's diaries as well. I blame it on being really busy in real life. One more day to get through and then it's the weekend! That's good news on the new clients, but not so good on the tax bill.

It seems like you have a lot of plans/things going on at the moment. Hopefully the money will all work itself out.

And that is an amazing deal for Legoland for the six of you! I am very jealous!
    Emergency fund £257.38/£1000
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    The Legoland was such a deal I didn't mind putting it on the credit card. They did one for Alton towers but it was back at the beginning of march, too cold :rotfl:

I always feel like I have no time, but in all honesty I am just awful at sitting down and getting sucked into endless scrolling through nothing. Trying to be a bit more mindful with my time at home, but it has been a struggle.

I have Tuesday off and really want to do something fun with the kids. Mil sent some money for Easter, I got some small eggs for a hunt (we will give them an egg, as will my mum, I thought another big egg was ridiculous tbh!) So I am thinking about going to London for the day. If we get there early enough we can probably get to the NHM as it opens (otherwise it is ridiculous) then hummingbird bakery in south Kensington for cake (always visit one if I am in London) then Trafalgar Square to the national gallery (one of my favourite places EVER) m&m shop/Lego shop for a look round, a cheap lunch, maybe green park to a play area etc. I would love to take them on the London eye (me and the girl went for her 12th birthday, and to see Wicked) but the train will be £45 for travel cards for us so think it will need to be free stuff this time. I just don't want to waste a rare day off, especially as I will probably only take one day in may half term so I can take half the summer holidays instead. No doubt it will rain.......:(
    Loan  2431.89 July 20
    Cc 1 £1800 July 20
    Cc 2 £1575 July 20

1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Or we could go to my second favourite place Oxford.......or Salisbury (well maybe not atm!) Or Winchester, or Southampton......we are so lucky to live where we do!

The girl is still asking to go to Brighton so may do that next Sunday if the weather is ok. By that I mean not actually raining.....
    Loan  2431.89 July 20
    Cc 1 £1800 July 20
    Cc 2 £1575 July 20

• wishingthemortgaheawaywishingthemortgaheaway Forumite
    2.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lots of places in London do 2for1 tickets if you travel by train.
    We used them for the London transport museum, maybe something you want to do is on this scheme.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318