Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Drawing a line under the debt. Take two. - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Drawing a line under the debt. Take two.

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
750 replies 39.9K views

Replies

• DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    So I decided to go and buy the plastic shed box thing. It was reduced to £87 and I have £65 in cash for my gardening budget, and will get another £20 cash from a job on Wednesday. So am covering it with my spends until then. But it meant that I could get all my gardening stuff out of the conservatory.

I went out last night £35 on a meal and drinks. More than I planned, but it was so nice to meet up with my old work colleagues, I miss them all so much and we are planning on doing it again in a couple of months.

Today I did two tip runs and have at least another one to do at some point. But I have cleared nearly half the conservatory and scrubbed the windows and frames, hoovered, scrubbed the back door and the bit of the roof I can get too. I am exhausted :rotfl:

I have a spa day tomorrow with my sister, she got it as my birthday present and I am looking forward to it. It's a Groupon deal but I have done it before and it's a nice enough spa and a good deal. Going early (had to be a specific time slot due to the deal) and will be out of the spa by lunchtime so will grab some lunch while we are there. I am sure when I get back I will go to the tip and keep on at the conservatory, such an exciting life :rotfl:

Anyway off to battle the little two into bed, always interesting :p
    Dad 6k
    Offer on house and chain complete 21st July 2020
    Solicitors instructed 23rd July 2020
    Mortgage application 28th July 2020
    Mortgage valuation booked 12th August 
    Mortgage offer 7th September! 😁
    All enquiries answered and ready to exchange 6 Nov 2020
    Buyer pulled out 7 Nov 2020
    New offer accepted 10 Nov 2020
    Back on the rollercoaster, hope to exchange and complete Jan 2021!
  • MumoffourkidsMumoffourkids Forumite
    1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Well done on getting below £11k drawing! Also your life sound about as exciting as mine with tip runs. I seem to do one of those at least once every two weeks! I am now known down the tip by the men that work there and a few of them now help me get the rubbish out of my car :rotfl:

Enjoy your day the spa today
    Emergency fund £257.38/£1000
  • edited 18 February 2018 at 1:59PM
    FiscalPickleFiscalPickle Forumite
    152 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    edited 18 February 2018 at 1:59PM
    Its a great feeling smashing the barrier into another downwards bracket, got my sights set on the 18s next! X
    DFD - 26/10/19
    In the process of shedding £20k and 35lbs
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for stopping by and the encouraging words :j

So today I have had to do an adjustment in YNAB. It's because I paid for the shed from an account not with the cash I had set aside. So I got in a mess. Ended up down £1.30 and I will have to out the cash into the bank when I got to town on Thursday. I hate having cash around, it makes me twitchy :rotfl: anyway all sorted, budget matches bank accounts and all is good.

I have been playing with he overpayment calculator for the loan. Apparently if I pay £305.01 off it that will take me to two months off, any less is one month. So I will be paying £305.93 on Friday to bring it to a nice round number :rotfl: then with next month's payment and interest overpayment I will be below £10500, if I can manage the same in march/April it would be below 9k by mid April :T it's doable, just means rethinking hubby's birthday. At least the girls presents are all on the way.

Anyway back to work :p
    Dad 6k
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Not a great day today. My last client is a bit of a pain and I don't think I will be carrying on with her much longer. I am thinking if I ditch her and shift my other two Wednesday jobs about soon do them the same week (they are a two weekly rota) I would actually have almost a whole day off every two weeks and one afternoon off the other week. I would lose around £80 a month which isn't ideal, but atm I am struggling to cope with the house ontop of children and work. It would mean I could plan stuff that needed doing and arrange deliveries etc a bit easier. Have spoken to my boss and depending on the outcome of her chat to the client we shall see what happens. If the boss doesn't agree to stop immediately the I will I've notice for it for the end of April and she can get someone else to cover it.

I have spent on a credit card for a new ice machine. £100 :eek: however hubby gets paid on Friday so will use the spare £100 to clear it then. Our old one broke 6months ago and we all miss it. It was a luxury when I first got one or hubby at xmas, but we all quickly got used to it and it was a godsend in the summer months.

So in friday, money into April's bills, march's 'true expenses' and sinking funds, £305.93 off the loan and £100 to credit card. Unless something drastic happens tomorrow :rotfl:
    Dad 6k
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    So hubby got paid. April bills all filled up in YNAB, march received all the bits for Xmas, car maintenance etc. Ice machine paid for. So paid a total of £325.03. :p debt total £10674.90 :T so just under £900 paid off since 11/1/18. Not bad going I think. I definitely wouldn't have paid that off the credit cards, I am obviously an odd one with my preference to a loan over a cc. I saved £76 of interest with this last overpayment, I like the calculator on the banks website.

However a not good thing is the £4 I now owe on the credit card and I now need to move money to pay it. Basically I was browsing for free Kindle books, I normally get a few at a time, often they are the first in a series etc, if I don't read them or don't like them I can just delete them and I feel no guilt. However this time I was really tired and I seem to have bought four at 99p :( am mightily !!!!ed off with myself as it's messed everything up. It's a tiny amount in the grand scheme of things but I have been doing so well at using the credit card in ynab correctly and now it's gone wrong. I think I am more annoyed at myself as I could probably find a £4 Kindle book I actually want rather than 4 I MIGHT like. One of the downsides of e-books is that I can't 'see' them. I like to hold a book, how the book feels, looks, smells and the text is laid out tells me so much about the kind of book it is and if I get the right sense off it I know there is a high chance I will enjoy it. I will chose a book by an unknown author in a genre i would never choose if the book feels 'right'. Can't get that on a Kindle :rotfl: I think I am odd :rotfl:

The £4 will get sorted and I will force myself to read these books now, but am really annoyed atyself. All over £4 :mad:
    Dad 6k
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    13K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done on the payments.

It's easy full stop to spend on amazon and ebay etc... so easy mistake to make. Stop beating yourself up...
    During 2020: Target 1) Reduce debt from £25.1K @ 0% Now down to £17.129 Target 2) Overpay mortgage - now @ £780 OP Target 3) Improve pensions Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - Done with help of skip & other regular charity collections. 5) Build/maintain EF/Savings pots at £1K or more by 31/12/20
  • ChasingSunshineChasingSunshine Forumite
    228 posts
    100 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Don't know if it helps but with the kindle books you can return them and get your money back. I have done the same thing a few times when something was on the list of free books but not actually free. Off the top of my head think its in account and manage my devices. I have to do it off the website as don't know if there is a way on the kindle itself.
    Worth a try especially if you haven't read them yet. Agree its only a small amount but still better spent on something you actually want.
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I will look into that.

Quite a busy day today. Left early to pick up my neices and take them to a jumble sale my sister was hosting. Her car was full of jumble. It also meant that I cleared my porch of all the stuff that has been accruing for the charity shop for the past six months :rotfl: but I couldn't stay and help as had to dash off for a hair appointment. Four hours later I got home (I have roots done and slices of colour put in, takes ages!) Starving, so had some lunch then loaded up the car for another tip run. But my back garden is clear now. Then wrote a shopping list and went to the supermarket with hubby the girl and the wierd one. Spent a bit too much, but I think I am going to have to looks increasing my food budget a bit, prices are definitely going up a bit. The wierd one fell off one of those travelator things, he got on the one coming up thinking it was going down (due to some teens climbing up the down one :mad: ) he got quite upset, but luckily he didn't do his trick of sitting down and refusing to move. He is a big load and it takes two of us to lift him when he does this, one of the reasons I rarely take him out on my own.

So am going to have to shift funds around a bit I think, to allow a bit more for food. Have another two weeks, freezers and store cupboard are full it's always fruit and sandwich stuff we run out of. Hopefully hubby will stock up if we need any more before we get any more food money.
    Dad 6k
  • MumoffourkidsMumoffourkids Forumite
    1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Yaayyy to garden being cleared, but boooo to having to increase food budget and reshuffle money around. And very busy day. I had a busy morning but then lost all motivation and got very tired so am now in bed. Hope you have a less busy day tomorrow!
    Emergency fund £257.38/£1000