Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Drawing a line under the debt. Take two. - Page 10

New Post Advanced Search

Drawing a line under the debt. Take two.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
602 replies 33.8K views

Replies

• DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately there would still be 5/6 of us so still expensive. And then trying to find something that the 14yr old and 5yr old will both like can be a struggle. I have used the 2for1 tickets before though, when it's just me and one child! I love the science museum, but in the holidays you HAVE to get there for when it opens or it is rammed, and with the smallests sensory issues this can be an issue. We went to London last summer and went to hamleys. It was stupidly hot inside and they were upselling at the till and it was so crowded, he went into full on meltdown and it broke him! Wont be going there again lol.

I still haven't decided wether or not to do it, think hubby will be jealous, but the weather tomorrow looks rubbish, Tuesday looks a bit better.

Today I am off to the early morning (outside) church service (my favourite of the year), then will take the kids to the 10am family service. I was planning a roast for tea, but have discovered that I have no bloody eggs for Yorkshire's, that will not go down well. So will see if I can nab some off my mum, or my friend. I may finally finish cleaning out the conservatory and measure up to order the blinds, so it's all ready and I can go and get the paint for it tomorrow and paint the wall. Then I just need to hang blinds, order the stuff from IKEA and sort the flooring. I need another heater for it too. But it will be nice to actually have another room we can use rather than it being a dumping ground for everything.

Anyway best get going or church will start without me!
    Dad 6k
    Offer on house and chain complete 21st July 2020
    Solicitors instructed 23rd July 2020
    Mortgage application 28th July 2020
    Mortgage valuation booked 12th August 

1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Wow a whole week has gone by, so much for more regular posting!

So on Tuesday it of course rained heavily the whole day. Didn't fancy trekking around outside so we went bowling (nice and early, 9.30am lol!) To the local (free) museum and then to the trampoline park. I covered the cost of bowling and bouncing from money in the account, pinching from a couple of categories but all ok. Unfortunately we went out for lunch so £46 went onto the credit card. I feel bad, but we so rarely eat out and I just wanted to enjoy the ONE day off I have this holiday.

I went and got two new tyres for the car (one was probably illegal :eek:) but that was all budgeted for, just been trying to fit in getting up there.

Workwise so many clients are cancelling atm. It is quite frustrating, luckily my boss has been able to give me alternative jobs because another member of staff is on holiday. And she rang me for a last minute job on Saturday morning, frustrating but worth it as I got £30 which I used to pay my daughter what I owe her.

So money wise everything is up to date. Did my Lidl shop last night (food money comes on Tuesday) and my big online shop is due tomorrow afternoon. I hopefully have two extra jobs next week before getting back to normal.

I may take the big two to the cinemas at some point this week, hubby isn't interested in the film, so he can stay at home :rotfl: we get cheap tickets through his work so it works out about half price. In fact I may just go and check out the rest of his discounts as they update them periodically......
    Dad 6k

1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    So back to work today. Hubby is off this week so stayed in with the little two but I took the big two with me so they could earn some extra pennies. Then shopping was delivered, and after I met up with my boss for an extra job. Another two hours for my April timesheet :j

I have an extra job tomorrow, but this is just covering the one that has cancelled, and an extra one on Thursday.

I also contacted the owner of the airbnb that we have booked to double check our check in time and to clarify if we are being met or if there is a key safe. It's finally feeling more real that we go to Paris in three weeks :eek::eek: still can't believe I actually did it and persuaded hubby to do it!

I am still dithering over the Scotland trip. I think I am going to go ahead and book a caravan if there are any free when I get paid. (£100 deposit would be due) I just think camping can be so hit and miss and due to the distance may not be worth it. If we rent a caravan we can leave on the earliest ferry (as long as the campsite owners are happy for us to leave the key somewhere, or with our friends who live opposite the site) which will really help the journey home. If we camp there is no way we can get a ferry before 9 really and even then we would probably be packing a wet tent. Anyway am going to wait for payday and then check availability and take it from there. Am going to see if we can do a mini north west tour later in the summer holidays, need to have a chat about it later this week.
    Dad 6k

1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    So early start this morning, took the boy and the girl to the first job, luckily I ahve already paid them so no money to find, the girl has one more job with me on Thursday then that's it, probably until the summer holidays. I think went to my lovely client, she makes me coffee and has a nice chat and is just so nice to me (not all of them are!) Then on to cover one of the girls on holiday. I am going to have to speak to the boss as the place was a total state! Not sure if it is a weekly or fortnightly clean, but if someone went in last week then they certainly hadn't done a very good job :eek: so will be leaving some feedback I think. Don't think the client has complained, but I know the boss's is very particular and some things had been missed that really shouldn't have been.

Tomorrow is my short day so should be home by 12, then u have somehow persuaded hubby to come to IKEA for the afternoon :eek: I really want to sort the unit for the conservatory, but I can do that online, I am just after an excuse tbh. It's about 45mins away and we need t towels and a new bedside lamp so it SHOULD be cheap, but we know how these things go right :rotfl:
    Dad 6k

1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Forgive me for I have sinned! I have worshipped at the altar of the Swedish god of furniture :rotfl: yesa trip to IKEA cost nearly £100 and I didn't even get the unit I wanted :rotfl: my husband was not a good influence. He got a god awful glass eye ornament which cost £25 :eek: it's horrible, but he really liked it. I made him lay for that himself out of his fun money, normally at somewhere like IKEA mo rush is looked, but no way was I paying for that! As usual in IKEA we got a few things that will be helpful and the much needed t towels.

I paid off most of it (it was on the credit card) so balance is now around £45. But now my entertainment fund is sitting at £16 with another three weeks before anymore :eek::( frugal times coming.

I got paid today so money set aside for loan payment and £100 for the possible Scottish caravan. £460.31 sent to the loan so now the balance is £9999.00 :j and the regular monthly payment is due on Monday so inroads being made.

Oven clean has been booked for next Wednesday, £69, it is long overdue. This is what I asked for from hubby's bonus so money all set aside.

Full on day tomorrow with 4 jobs. Also met a new client tonight so starting that from next week. One of Fridays clients only wants one hour not the normal two as having building works done (seriously is it the season for it?) But boss needs me on an extra two hour job next Wednesday so making hours up.

Overall a nice day, nice to be out with hubby and the little two, the smallest really didn't want to come and found IKEA a bit of a challenge, but he was super good, lots of whining but no violent outbursts and when we got a trolley he climbed in and hid at the bottom under his coat. So he found his own way of coping :T the wierd one last went to IKEA last August but because of his elephant memory he kept on and on about a bottle he saw last time, even going up to one of the display rooms and telling me that was where it had been. When I refused to buy him one of these bottles he replied with 'No, that's not how it works' me 'what me saying no to you' him 'yes' little toad :rotfl:
    Dad 6k

1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    So Thursday is pizza night in the DAL household. £10 on pizzas. Mainly because hubby went and got them and got the expensive ones :mad: whereas I would have gone for ones on a deal. Anyway all done now so I will enjoy them.

I am out in a bit, going to give blood. Taking the girl with me so she can s what happens. I have only done it once before last year, have always meant to but never got round to it. Now I have done it I am hoping to keep going as often as I can. I was booked in for a few weeks back, but woulf have meant missing a job and with all the money I was losing I shifted it to an evening clinic.

Busy day tomorrow, and then off to the in laws for the weekend, so a nice break.
    Dad 6k

1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Had a nice relaxing weekend and the weather was a bit nicer. It was nice to sit about and not do anything, mil entertained the little two and I caught up on some reading :D

Spendwise, petrol and I also spent some in Waterstones, so now have barely anything left in entertainment, am a bit concerned re this weekend, but am planning on painting the fence and haircuts for the small two (have money in haircuts available!) Also need to get euros sorted for the weekend after and PARIS!!! I bought a Paris guidebook in Waterstones, I like to have a paper map and not rely totally on technology.

Full on work week, afternoon off tomorrow and oven being cleaned. I will be doing some sorting in the front room and getting some shelves up that were bought in December :rotfl:
    Dad 6k

1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    So in a bid to make myself accountable I have stood on the scales this morning.

13st 5.5Ibs :eek:

My goal is 10st 7, so just under 3 stone. I have not been this heavy since I had just given birth to the smallest. I am annoyed at myself. So I will be weighing in every Wednesday and my first small goal is to get below 13st.
    Dad 6k

1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a month!! A lot has happened.

I have lost six pounds in weight, but unfortunately have just been away on guide camp and much cake has been consumed, so not sure how much will have gone back on :rotfl:

We went on our paris trip :T it rained, and rained and rained :rotfl: the rainy weekend between the two glorious ones. But lugging our stuff around Paris was hot work and doing it in 28degrees would have broken us I think. The smallest was so good, but getting up at 5.30, then train to London and eurostar followed by three metro trains was rather challenging and he had to be carried a lot by daddy. But he perked right up once he saw the eiffel tower. He was so happy, made everything worth it. The Airbnb was stunning, it had a net floor on a mezzanine level for lying on and reading etc. The weird one spent every minute he could on it. Would love to fit one in our house, but not really possible.

We went up the eiffel tower, but the boy freaked so him and hubby only made the main level, so me the girl and the smalls went to the top. The weird one adored it and was right at the edge made my stomach turn, but meant I couldn't be scared as to busy looking out for him :rotfl:

Anyway all in all it was a super weekend and am so glad we did it. They were all absolutely fabulous on the eurostar and actually feel that we might be able to fly with them at a some point.

Money wise no inroads into the loan since last month. Big extra payments are on hold until September. This month's extra has funded our trip to Scotland, and am still hoping to go away as a family for a few nights too.

However I am pretty convinced that the big trip we were planning won't happen so I have used the 3k to pay for a new front fence, 1k is now in a Nationwide savings account as an emergency fund and we are finally sorting the conservatory, new blinds, floor etc. Worst case if the trip happens last minute we can credit card it, move money from all over and balance xfer the rest. Not ideal, but I am 90% certain it's not happening this year at least.

Anyway, going to try and be more accountable on here going forward :)
    Dad 6k

1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    So much for posting more!!!

So what has been happening. Well, I have just received 4.5k ppi refund :eek: so 3k on the loan and the rest divvied out between savings. I am hopefully having the back garden turfed this month and new flooring in conservatory and lounge. The conservatory blinds came, they are awesome and along with painting the wall and putting up a new unit in there, the conservatory is getting to a place where we will actually begin to use it as a room rather than a dumping ground :beer:

Our Scotland trip is getting closer. Husband decided he would book the week off but not come with us. But the boy is staying home with him, which means I cna leave the day before and stay overnight in Glasgow. And have time the next day to go on a boat trip around Loch lomond. Also going to hire a car so I don't have to take out big car up, so hire car, premier inn and boat trip booked. Friend has asked if the girl wants to go whale watching when we are there, would be to much for the little two and is quite expensive, but my friend said she was going to take her kids and will take my daughter. There is a shorter boat trip so may book that for me and the small ones. Am getting quite excited by it all now!
    Dad 6k