PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The price/cost of lazyness.

Options

Comments

• Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The cost of convienience may be better for a title ...?
    Living the simple life
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    For some of us buying pre-prepped veg is the only option. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis over 30 years ago and my hands don't work especially well when it comes to peeling, chopping etc.

Wow, as pre-prepared veg has been a pretty recent phenomenon did you suffer from malnutrition/starvation before the advent of said pre-prepared veg?
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Wow, as pre-prepared veg has been a pretty recent phenomenon did you suffer from malnutrition/starvation before the advent of said pre-prepared veg?

People with arthritus can often slice stuff but it hurts like f****.

So they might be able to use unprepped veg now and be richer but in pain. Not the option I choose. Versus starvation is a different and ridiculous question.

Not enjoying the judgemental people on the board today :/
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • ChesterBarnacle
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    One seventh.

Prove it. ...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Prove it. ...

I weighed a date. It was 7g.

I ate the flesh off it, then weighed the stone. It was 1g.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 December 2017 at 11:46PM
    Options
    Cost of laziness???

Who cares. If I want to buy stoned dates and preprepped veg that’s my affair. Judgemental or what. :rotfl:

Shirley Conran wrote a book called “Life’s Too Short to Stuff a Mushroom”. Great book, full of little cheats and short cuts.

And as people have pointed out preprepped veg can be a boon if you work full time and need to get a meal on the table in record quick time, not to mention those with dexterity problems. And sometimes there is less waste too, especially with salads etc.

My late husband used to say “why have a dog and bark yourself” so yes if I can get someone to do all the chopping, slicing and dicing for me then I will.

Apart from which I am a klutz at times. Last time I struggled with trying to peel and chop some tough old root veg I nearly lopped my fingers off. :rotfl:
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Today i was in the posh supermarket getting the tins of biscuits for the parents Christmas present.

There were nets of nuts in shells and there were packets of ready shelled nuts.
    I thought of this thread and wondered how many people would buy the nuts in shells and sit for hours with the nutcracker, in order to make the vegetarian nut roast.

Cost of laziness or would this be an exception?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Now I would/do buy ready-shelled nuts - and my suspicion would be that it was little/if at all dearer by the time I'd paid for the weight of the shells and then had to throw them away.

Personally - I won't on the whole buy ready-prepared food. Though I often cba I'll still get my pomegranites whole and remove the seeds myself/buy my courgettes whole and whack them through my spiraliser if courgetti is what I want, etc. I don't want to spend extra money on buying pre-prepared and I believe my food will have that little bit more of its nutrients still in it that way. I also don't want my money to go on "added value" on my foods - for someone else.

However - I can see there will be times where one has to buy ready-prepared stuff like that. As pointed out - those, for instance, whose health isnt up to preparing it themselves. For those that don't have these problems there could be other reasons - as in if I was holidaying where I now live for instance and didnt have a kitchen full of all my usual gadgets = I can see the choice of places to eat out is limited - but I could manage to buy things like courgetti, ready-grated cheese, ready pomegranite seeds, ready noodles, etc from the local supermarket. So I could make a "healthy enough" meal from what's available - rather than try and struggle with finding somewhere to eat out.
  • WeegieWumman
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    Today i was in the posh supermarket getting the tins of biscuits for the parents Christmas present.

There were nets of nuts in shells and there were packets of ready shelled nuts.
    I thought of this thread and wondered how many people would buy the nuts in shells and sit for hours with the nutcracker, in order to make the vegetarian nut roast.

Cost of laziness or would this be an exception?

I read that when nuts were sold 'already shelled, that under EU regulations they were classed as 'desserts' which automatically added 10% to the cost
  • Greenqueen_2
    Options
    It isn't always dearer to buy pre-prepared.
    Ready grated cheddar cheese is often cheaper per kg than buying a block.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure