Laptop so slow? Should I do a Restore to Factory Settings? Windows 7 See screenshots

Options

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just uninstall Malwarebytes.
    Install it again periodically - run it - uninstall.

Don't forget to do ADW cleaner next to tidy up the scheduled tasks etc.
    Scan-clean-reboot

Then run task manager again and you will see the improvement.

Install bitdefender free once you have removed AVG using the tool above

https://www.bitdefender.co.uk/solutions/free.html
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,675 Forumite
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Install bitdefender free once you have removed AVG using the tool above

Might be ok for a fresh install of BD, but 've seen several W7 machines now where BD has updated itself and suddenly wont function properly, hence I've gone back to avira on those machines...

..one to keep an eye on :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    I'd uninstall Bonjour as it had given me problems in the past
  • Spelunthus
    Options
    Malware removal is good practice. Another good thing is to review the list of installed Windows programs, and REMOVE any that you really don't use, or can live without. Then reboot.

But my opinion, from the limited info, is that you would benefit from installing more memory. How much memory do you have ? Can your laptop take more? Research this and report back. memory is cheap.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Every laptop I've had come in for running slow that is a few years old has suffered from a blocked heatsink looking like this to some extent or another. It might not be the primary cause but a CPU throttling its speed because it is running hot doesn't help.

clogged_heatsink.jpg
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    joe565 wrote: »
    Hello

My laptop has been running so slow and I'm thinking of Restoring it back to factory settings. Don't have any disks though so can it still be done?

Obviously need to do a back up as I've loads of photos etc and if I take these off my laptop would that help?

I'm used a Toshiba Satellite C660-108 laptop, Windows 7 and wondering would a Restore help?

I'll attach three screenshots which might be helpful?

Do you have a sticker on the underside with the product key - should you (ever) need to reinstall Windows ?
    If not - I suggest that you download a free utility to obtain the code, whilst your laptop is still up and running
    https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ being a popular one
    Once you have this key - WRITE it DOWN and store it safely !!
    You can download a copy of Win 7 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7
    make sure that you download the same version as you have installed - probably "Premium".
    This will only prove necessary - should the restore partition prove inaccessible !
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    blocked heatsink]

Very true. The issue is ... how easy is it to take the laptop apart to gain access to the heatsink? Fortunately on my laptop it is very easy. Half a dozen or so screws and the bottom plate comes off, giving easy access to the RAM and heatsink/fan.

laptop_1.jpg
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,675 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately (for the user/consumer) laptop designers don't put access covers on many these days...meaning it's a full strip-down to get at the heatsink on an awful lot of machines :mad:
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • jshm2
    jshm2 Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A restore would help a lot, backup your stuff beforehand and run PC decrapifier straight after to get rid of the Toshiba bloatware.
  • joe565
    joe565 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry guys just replying back! Thanks for all your help.

Ok as I'm not a technie I've never installed a SSD before. Maybe it's easy to do but I've a USB Portable hard drive, was gonna back up my stuff to it or is an SSD better?

Do notice its better since running Malwarebytes etc, must download Avira or Bitdefender.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure