PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Big bag of slightly imperfect mixed coloured peppers (although I couldn't see anything wrong with them) snapped up for a song in Waitrose today, so slicing them up and loose dry freezing first so they can be bagged up and just a handful grabbed whenever needed.

I worked out that I couldn't grow them this cheaply by the time I've forked out for the necessary potting compost to grow that quantity so I've saved myself the trouble as these will keep us going for months.
  • IrisViolet
    IrisViolet Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    I like the idea of having an aim for each month. Just one or two things so it's not such a huge amount of pressure in one go.
    For me January is my cooking/kitchen/shopping habits.
    I would like to only go to a supermarket once a week of an evening. Then mid week when I'm in the village I can pop into the grocers/fishmongers/butchers and ald** if I need anything. I was in the habit of needing to go in daily and it really took my time away from me as well as meaning I spent more money and wasted more food.
    I feel like the past few weeks I've strayed to achieve this but haven't managed any local independents yet due to school holidays. From.next week I can implement this.
    I want to be to the point where im.not wasting any food and I've been busy putting my freezer to good use and I've been cooking more but I do need to have a think about when I want to be cooking and how long for and get into a nice simple routine with this.
    I'm also trying to organise my kitchen cupboard and fridge freezer.

If I don't fully achieve this I can keep working on it as I see that it will take time to get where I'd like to be.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    [QUOTE=fuddle;73655517

I've sown my chilli's today. I still need to buy jalapeño seeds as we use these a lot in Nacho's but I had the chilli seeds, the propagator and my over eager self. We were raring to go with the growing season. I'll rue that decision no doubt but today, I'm happy. I've sown![/QUOTE]

You’re well organised. I would normally be sowing them myself around now too as I don,t have a propagator and without they take ages to germinate but I had such a big crop of them last year that I still have almost a year’s supply to use up in the freezer!

I grow Hungarian Wax variety and they’re such a pretty plant to grow when the fruit is ripening from green to yellow to red that I may find myself self growing just a couple of plants for decoration.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I've decided to minimise the amount of times I go to the supermarket as it was getting a bit ridiculous. It's not that I spend a lot on food (averages £15 per week) but I eat mainly fresh foods and indulge heavily in YS hunting, and the time spent food shopping quickly adds up.

I've been back at my flat for 48 hours and had been ekeing out the fresh foods I bought with me from the hometown but finally needed some veggies. Decided to leave early for w*rk and shop beforehand (have the use of a fridge at the office). I can't shop after work some days because I have a very narrow time window to drop in on a shopkeeping pal before he heads out of town - I only see him at his shop as he lives 50 + miles away.

Anyway, did my shop, did my shift, dropped in on pal and made two other brief social calls nearby and one for business, then came straight home. Jammies on, clothes in the wash, not heading out again tonight, unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse. ;)

I'm pretty pleased with this pre-work shop, the place was deserted and there was even some YS bargains to be had, although they were Xmas stock and reduced for a quick sale. I will do more of this, I think.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    No targets for me. Targets and goals = pressure on myself. I'm trying to take each day as it comes, deal with what it throws up calmly while keeping to my routine and commitments while fitting in jobs that need doing and job I want to do.
    I agree with this 100%.
    No good having targets; invariably my lupus sticks it's ugly mug in, I fail, and I get despondent. So no targets here, just what I can do, when I can do it. ;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have been talking today at work about reducing our plastic use, even though everyone recycles, so I am going to try and not produce packaging to be recycled although I have a complete wheelie recycling bin full to the brim to be emptied next week.

Has anyone got any excellent ideas for doing this, I already take a packed lunch in a lunch box, buy loose veg, and use a fabric shopping bag.
    I live i a rural small town in Scotland so no big anything for many miles, so I do make use of online delivery for lots of things, I might need to reconsider the packaging that comes with that.

elmer
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    elmer wrote: »
    We have been talking today at work about reducing our plastic use, even though everyone recycles, so I am going to try and not produce packaging to be recycled although I have a complete wheelie recycling bin full to the brim to be emptied next week.

Has anyone got any excellent ideas for doing this, I already take a packed lunch in a lunch box, buy loose veg, and use a fabric shopping bag.
    I live i a rural small town in Scotland so no big anything for many miles, so I do make use of online delivery for lots of things, I might need to reconsider the packaging that comes with that.

elmer
    :) Hi elmer, there are several blogs about zero waste and plastic free living, here are linkies to just two of them, plenty more out there for googling:

https://myplasticfreelife.com/

https://zerowastehome.com/

HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Just a quick pop in to say hi.
    Last of hm bread being grated by hand (no food processor as small kitchen) - 5 minute bursts but it does take an age! Once I see how much there is, will portion & freeze. Kills two birds with one stone - hm breadcrumbs taste better than shop bought + a bit of exercise! & boy do I need it!

‘See’ you all tomorrow.

Mrs SD:)
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Dot_Common
    Options
    Having just had an epic read through the whole thread so far, I'm jumping in to join - my 'simple life' goals are connected to wanting to feel more in control. So if I can be more efficient and mindful in the use of my time, through decluttering, setting up routines, meal planning, budgeting, etc, then that gives me headspace for the things I genuinely want to do and think about. We shall see!
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone
    It's not easy shopping without plastic, I've been trying hard to cut back on plastic packaging for a couple of months now, I buy lose veg, and have started to make my own yogurt but only because I already have a yogurt maker, I had to hunt really hard to find olive oil in a bottle when I only wanted a small amount as well. I didn't realise how difficult it was going to be, as I can remember a time when butter was patted and wrapped!!
    Anyway my small target is sorting out clothes and the fridge/ freezer in January. Off to bed now.
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills